Cursing in front of guests.

One of my tms was in a particularly bad mood. (Childish bad mood) He was cursing out on the floor in front of guests. A mother and two small children walked by and he didn’t even try to lower his voice. I was mortified of course. I told him that if he was caught it would be immediate termination and to calm down.
Talking w a TL later I asked if cursing in front of guests is actually an immediate term and he said no. 😮 He said it’s 2019 and cursing isn’t looked down upon like it use to be.
What?!?! Have I missed something? If I were ETL or STL there would be zero tolerance for cursing out on the floor.
Thoughts??

One of my tms was in a particularly bad mood. (Childish bad mood) He was cursing out on the floor in front of guests. A mother and two small children walked by and he didn’t even try to lower his voice. I was mortified of course. I told him that if he was caught it would be immediate termination and to calm down.
Talking w a TL later I asked if cursing in front of guests is actually an immediate term and he said no. 😮 He said it’s 2019 and cursing isn’t looked down upon like it use to be.
What?!?! Have I missed something? If I were ETL or STL there would be zero tolerance for cursing out on the floor.
Thoughts??

Our cart attendant called a guest a bitch and it was over looked by our drinking the koolaid ETL.

I think the ETL/TL is correct. TM’s should definitely be punished if they’re caught swearing infront of guests, but an immediate term sounds way too extreme. It’s super easy for something to slip out of your mouth. The most I could see is a CCA.

Look we all feel like swearing at times, but I remind myself that there may be young children around. I don’t think they should be fired over it, but should be given a coaching. If he does it again after being warned, take appropriate action (I don’t know exactly what that would be, but again firing is extreme. Maybe give fewer hours?)

Instant term, no of course not.
A consistent pattern after having been warned, yeah, that'll get you fired.
Especially if there are customer complaints.
It also depends if you swore at someone or not.

Look I have a foul mouth but I have to be real careful who I use it around especially at work.
Keeping a level of professionalism is important and if I want to piss someone off, I want to do it on purpose not by accident.
I also noticed how the more depressed I got the worse my language so that was something I needed to keep a close eye on.

I would think you'd want to watch yourself in public, whether you're in danger of being written up or not. But that's just me. Personally, if a TM is going loose in the backroom, I'll make sure the doors are closed and no guests hear.

I'm a bit more careful when ETLs are around, but not so much TLs.

I rarely curse in general, but when I do it’s because my Zebra:
- Kicks me out of an app for no reason
- Switches to the browser saying that I’ve been signed out every 2 minutes
- Switches item mid back stock. Ie: I scan a GRCY item and it switches back to some COSM item after I scan a BR location.
- Scans, beeps, nothing
- Move app constantly freezing

I've accidentally cursed out on the floor under my breath on accident, just an instinctive reaction to me dropping a container of sour cream and it spilling everywhere. It wasn't loud, barely a whisper, but enough for my co-worker right next to me to hear and say "oh my god don't say that out here." and I mean he was RIGHT next to me stocking sour cream with me.

Y'know, shit happens. Something like this where you're in a bad mood, cursing in public, while on the clock, is just a sign that they don't give a fuck. Now, there's not giving a fuck, and "not giving a fuck" if you know what I mean.
He's the latter. I have a feeling if a bad mood at a public job puts him in that position, he's gonna get fired for performance within the next half year. Dude just gives up when he gets in a bad mood, there's bound to be other performance issues.

Of course, I don't know you, the TM you're talking about, the context, but I know based on what I've read. Swearing is a bit more accepted, I was raised and taught the Christian way was to not swear at all, other-wise I'm gonna get my butt kicked. I'm a fricken sailor now. It's the way I portray myself, especially in a relaxed setting when I am away from guests. I don't curse excessively, but the occasional use of "shit" "fuck me" and "son of a bitch" in the backrooms is just a given. Swearing is really considered more of an informality now, rather than a sin that will send a precocious child into ruin should he ever hear a curse word.

Immediate termination? Aren't you being super prissy? Let me guess, someone saying "fudge" or "dang" is too much for your tender ears.

Should someone swear at work? No. Should they get a punishment that is far more severe than things like damaging property? No. Pretty much anything except stealing gets you a "fix your behavior, stupid" punishment, not an immediate termination.

Pull the stick out of your ass. There's things far worse that doesn't result in firing.

I agree it’s not good to swear where little kids might hear, but that being said, I’ve heard some very choice words come out of the mouths of guests’ little darlings, and they weren’t very big kids, either. 🙄😂

A seasonal: Goddamn did you see that phat ass on her? She can sit on my face any time if you know what I mean
Karen: REEEEEEEE!! (To me) SIR! Please tell your coworkers to keep their language G-rated, there are young children in here!! (putting her hands over her kid’s ears)
Another seasonal: OH FUCK wrong spot, where the fuck does this go?!?!
Karen: (to them) EXCUSE ME!!! LANGUAGE!! INAPPROPRIATE!!
Seasonal #2: Oh my apologies ma’am!! Darn it!!
Karen: Thank you (sneers and walks away)

^That was Q4 ‘17. Still surprised to this day that she didn’t hunt down a lead and narc on us.

I wouldn’t consider indirect cursing as immediate termination because a slip of tongue does happen with shitty circumstances. Sometimes it just be like that

With that said though, I’m uncomfortable cursing while I’m on the floor or with people who feel uncomfortable hearing that. I try replacing curse words with nonsensical words or phrases (prior to Target years back I volunteered at a Child Development Institute so that stuck with me)

The current ones I use on more occasion nowadays are “Well it’s time for me to retire and expire” and “Holy Cannoli, Hot Dog”

Yeah call me a lame ass I understand lmao

I wouldn’t consider indirect cursing as immediate termination because a slip of tongue does happen with shitty circumstances. Sometimes it just be like that

With that said though, I’m uncomfortable cursing while I’m on the floor or with people who feel uncomfortable hearing that. I try replacing curse words with nonsensical words or phrases (prior to Target years back I volunteered at a Child Development Institute so that stuck with me)

The current ones I use on more occasion nowadays are “Well it’s time for me to retire and expire” and “Holy Cannoli, Hot Dog”

Yeah call me a lame ass I understand lmao
Nope. Swearing is uncalled for and I'm tired of being the only one who complains and gets crap about it. It's against policy. Full stop.

You want to swear in your own life outside these red walls have fun. But I do not come to edith to be called a wretched bitch because I asked you to turn off the suggestive music doing the f-bomb. Not that hr ever does anything about it, nor do hotline calls help.

Nope. Swearing is uncalled for and I'm tired of being the only one who complains and gets crap about it. It's against policy. Full stop.

You want to swear in your own life outside these red walls have fun. But I do not come to edith to be called a wretched bitch because I asked you to turn off the suggestive music doing the f-bomb. Not that hr ever does anything about it, nor do hotline calls help.
First, "crap" in that context is a swear word. It refers to human excrement.

Second, I seriously doubt that someone calls you a bitch to your face on a regular basis and no one does anything. More likely someone lets loose with one or two choice words when they bang their knuckles or lose track of time and there's a lot of exaggeration as to the words and circumstances. After all, bitch to your face on a regular basis is hostile work environment and if the hotline somehow failed in remedying that you'd have an employment lawyer and wouldn't need to work after the settlement.

Like I told the OP, pull the stick out of your ass. A fairly quiet "oh shit!" is not the same as causing a hostile work environment.

I curse a bunch at work (just how i talk) but never around guests. I have this one coworker who does all the time like right in front of people and it makes me extremely uncomfortable lol he’ll be like “god I’m so fucking stressed out” to me while he’s in the middle of helping someone and I just kind of awkwardly chuckle and cringe

Back