Cursing in front of guests.

I did it today. Was doing OPUs because the scheduled person called out. Two orders in a row I had to dig through repack boxes that had just come off the truck this morning and hadn't been pushed yet. The first was infant hardlines. Ugh. The second was freaking softlines. Yikes. Ok, so we found the items. Yay. Goals weren't met, but whatever. I grab the next order. I'm picking a bunch of groceries. Fine. Fine. Hmm..I have to run to the backroom to pull something. Found the item in a casepack. Scan the box: Hey, it's the right thing. Open the box. Wait this doesn't look right. Groan. Run to the salesfloor to thankfully find the item I need. ePick has me move onto HBA. Looks like I need to find some nail polish. Shelf empty. Open MyWork. IT CAME ON THE TRUCK THIS MORNING AND I HAVE TO GO BACK AND LOOK THROUGH BEAUTY REPACKS FOR IT???!?!?!? Yeah, I did mutter "fucking hell" without a care in the world that there were guests in the aisle. Fuck them if they were offended.

Not sorry. If Spot doesn't want me to do it, how about don't let people order things that were just delivered on the truck for pickup until the store has had time to push them to the floor. Just a suggestion.

Only a moron can't control a potty mouth, and that's coming from an old fleet sailor.
Yes. Cursing is a habit, and you can make "work talk" habit separate from "play time talk" habit. Same as making "TBR appropriate" habit vs. "the FB page that my older relatives see appropriate" habit.

(Though I will admit to one failing, where I lost track of time and let an important deadline pass, and when I realized an "oh shit!" slipped out....right in front of an ETL that was walking by.)

Awkward situation today. Someone said over the walkie “who does Helen have covering my break?”. But some people heard “who the hell is covering my break?”. That led my team lead to say “watch what we say on the walkies please”.

Yeah I know “hell” is tame when it comes to curse words, but I thought it was funny lol

Cursing is unacceptable. We are here for the guest. Times may be a changing but cursing should never be okay. In OPs circumstance, I would put the TM on a CCA immediately. Accidental slip on the salesfloor? Warning, but you can bet your ass I’m documenting that convo, just for the record. In the backroom? Off stage? Depends who is around, not every TM is okay with it. Even some of my TL peers don’t curse, so I don’t curse around them. Simple. Respect others. My team is expected to act and sound professional and courteous at all times. We are at work in a guest facing building for fuck’s sake. Can’t control yourself for no more than 8 hours? You have other issues and I sure as shit don’t want you on my team.

First, "crap" in that context is a swear word. It refers to human excrement.

Second, I seriously doubt that someone calls you a bitch to your face on a regular basis and no one does anything. More likely someone lets loose with one or two choice words when they bang their knuckles or lose track of time and there's a lot of exaggeration as to the words and circumstances. After all, bitch to your face on a regular basis is hostile work environment and if the hotline somehow failed in remedying that you'd have an employment lawyer and wouldn't need to work after the settlement.

Like I told the OP, pull the stick out of your ass. A fairly quiet "oh shit!" is not the same as causing a hostile work environment.
Cameras don't record audio and me against them isn't getting me anywhere. You kind of have to be able to prove it instead of having somebody know better than to do it in front of others or only others who would side with them. Why the fuck would I lie about being called names? Or about the time I turned off "fuck the police" the extended track and almost got corrective for touching someone's phone? The hotline doesn't fix things, it tells spot what behavior to cover up.

So the entire store is trying to harass you. There's never anyone walking by the break room, within earshot but not quite within sight, that will tell the truth of what they heard. There's not a single person on leadership that will take the extra step to see what's going on and instead all of leadership is siding against you. Actions against you are so extreme it's justification for touching someone else's personal property, and again leadership is all one unified force in ensuring that you cannot stop others using their personal property in a manner to directly harass you. You are being personally targeted and no one in the entire store will say "I heard [person] saying [bleep] to Signingminion as I was passing by", they will all gather 'round the other person.

Store wide conspiracies to enable one person to harass another person are very, very rare. Sounds more like you had a stick up your ass about what someone said in the break room one day and are getting teased a little about your reaction along with a pretty big dose of paranoia mixed in.

ASANTS, but senior leadership at my store do not stand up against each other to protect mere TMs/ TLs. Back in the day, yes, that would happen, but now it’s every one for themselves in the executive suite and to Hell with everyone else.

But one TM against another? Why would leadership be so super protective of the harasser?
Just speaking generally that in my store senior leadership is too busy looking out for themselves to stand up for anyone and risk breaking ranks with their peers. The only way they would stick up for anybody would be if favoritism or nepotism were involved, and then that person would be untouchable. The reverse is also true, that if one senior leader has it in for someone, the rest will fall in line behind their peer. Sad but true.

Last edited:
Cursing is unacceptable. We are here for the guest. Times may be a changing but cursing should never be okay. In OPs circumstance, I would put the TM on a CCA immediately. Accidental slip on the salesfloor? Warning, but you can bet your ass I’m documenting that convo, just for the record. In the backroom? Off stage? Depends who is around, not every TM is okay with it. Even some of my TL peers don’t curse, so I don’t curse around them. Simple. Respect others. My team is expected to act and sound professional and courteous at all times. We are at work in a guest facing building for fuck’s sake. Can’t control yourself for no more than 8 hours? You have other issues and I sure as shit don’t want you on my team.
This. I am not someone who curses a lot. And if I ever do it’s pretty tame. I would say 8/10 of my tms including Tls and even my ETL curse in their everyday language. Most of those use the “F” word like are trying to see how many they can fit into one sentence. It’s this type of talk that I find offensive. Every now and then I’m cool w it. But using F every time your mouth opens it’s absolutely unprofessional and extremely tacky.
I also have to say that if I were a guest shopping w my children and an employee used that language around them...there would be problems for sure.

Back