Defective Label Meanings

Hey All!
I’m still confused regarding processing defects. When the label prints out I’m not sure what bin it should be placed in at Guest Services. They have a Salvage/Donate bin. ESIM and a B bin.
Receiving has its own stack of bins but I’m super confused there.
Can someone help me out here?
What’s the rule of thumb?
What should be bagged or not?

Salvage will either say def sales which means defective salvage (doesn't work, missing pieces) or missed sal (we no longer sell 0.00)

ESIM has a couple different labels. st, flat and I'm blanking on the other one. These have to be bagged and zip tied.

Crc will come up as crc or "e" in the recycling logo.

Ar my store the receiver has a sort bin we put all the items in and he sorts it himself. It has a certain process

If your taking everything to receiving at the end of the night I'll give explanation where everything goes in my area. Defective Salvage that are in box and large bulk items lable the same go on the pallet that is marked Salvage. There is also a pallet for item label Crc (E - electronic recycle) for just those items. The box B items which are the Esim (chemicals) need to be in zip tied bags. Labels for this are ST, FL, CA, CB, OX, BATTERY. There will be storage totes label the same in receiving where each item will go according to the letters. These items have to be scan into the totes. For this reason I prefer that the front end doesn’t sort these item into the totes. I have Gs leave box B at guest service and I will take that tote to the back and sort it myself. I also have them leave vendor damaged up front to for the same reason caused they have to be sorted by vendor. Then you have toss. Those go into the compactor.

I have one for you guys can salvage be donated ? Like hand sanitizer wipes bags ? Or dose all defective salvage go into the salvage pallet ? I thought I knew how to donate but my sd just confused me ?

I have one for you guys can salvage be donated ? Like hand sanitizer wipes bags ? Or dose all defective salvage go into the salvage pallet ? I thought I knew how to donate but my sd just confused me ?
If it comes up salvage you send it with sweep because you get credit for it . You can donate esim chemicals and shampoo after it has been processed . You can not send salvage hand sanitizer with the sweep because it’s flammable.

If it comes up salvage you send it with sweep because you get credit for it . You can donate esim chemicals and shampoo after it has been processed . You can not send salvage hand sanitizer with the sweep because it’s flammable.

We don't sweep salvage, we did for a while when Goodwill was closed but usually Goodwill picks it up.. And for the NewReceiver2020 you can donate some stuff, even when it came up salvage sometimes you just make the choice(also that goodwill has stated it doesn't want food) that it would be better served to the food bank than Goodwill.. Hand sanitizer would fit our "The food bank would love this!" Food is usually what we see, when you see that go salvage after a big reset or a seasonal set ends. Xmas, Halloween, you get the idea..

Last edited:
We don't sweep salvage, we did for a while when Goodwill was closed but usually Goodwill picks it up.. And for the NewReceiver2020 you can donate some stuff, even when it came up salvage sometimes you just make the choice that it would be better served to the food bank than Goodwill.. Hand sanitizer would fit our "The food bank would love this!" Food is usually what we see, when you see that go salvage after a big reset or a seasonal set ends. Xmas, Halloween, you get the idea..
I get the idea of so much shortage and my Ap would have you fired on the spot.

I was being told no salvage could go but I was trained that it could depends on what it is of course
If it’s salvage put it with the pallet it’s not your merchandise to donate when target is paying for it and this is how they get some back . When the system wants something to be donated it will tell you to do so .

I was being told no salvage could go but I was trained that it could depends on what it is of course
Just reference the Donation/Salvage guide. One should be posted by where you keep your donations so that everyone can reference it. It has all the exceptions on there.

Actually that guide should be given to anyone doing price change so that they can select the right disposition and put away appropriately.

Last edited:
I get the idea of so much shortage and my Ap would have you fired on the spot.

Depends on also what goodwill wants and they will tell you, they don't want food so we donate that. And if AP is worried about a bottle of sanitizer going to donate vs goodwill he's missing the big shit going on..

Depends on also what goodwill wants and they will tell you, they don't want food so we donate that. And if AP is worried about a bottle of sanitizer going to donate vs goodwill he's missing the big shit going on..
I get what you say. But Ap is there to protect the business and I don’t think losing your job for the goodness of your heart is the right thing to do. If that’s something you want to do just get with Ap on it. I have two pallets of hand sanitizer on recall . I told Ap once final disposition comes I would like to donate it given that I don’t have enough esim bins to dump it in. I will process it and donate it my Ap was cool with that. Nothing wrong with letting them know and have them make that decision instead of the receiver make the decision and get fired for 3.99 bottle of hand sanitizer.

I get what you say. But Ap is there to protect the business and I don’t think losing your job for the goodness of your heart is the right thing to do. If that’s something you want to do just get with Ap on it. I have two pallets of hand sanitizer on recall . I told Ap once final disposition comes I would like to donate it given that I don’t have enough esim bins to dump it in. I will process it and donate it my Ap was cool with that. Nothing wrong with letting them know and have them make that decision instead of the receiver make the decision and get fired for 3.99 bottle of hand sanitizer.
[/QUOTE
Did anyone else see the communication for why the DCs were still sending recall sanitizer to the stores?
It's flammable and can't be in the DC.
Sounds like something Donald Trump would say.

Whoa wait, RECALLED hand sanitizer? The stuff that is poisonous? You're going to donate that?

The recalled hand sanitizer my help told me to return to salefloor on Friday but I understand about salvage going to salvage and donate going to donate but my worry was do we want salvage chemicals mixed with general merchandise? No leaks of course but stuff happens what if I put a aerosol is in there and some asshole comes and puts weights on it ?

I just want to make sure I’m in compliance I have no problem putting salvage with salvage but what if a good bottle leaks over everything? Could eco lab come and tear me a new one ?

The recalled hand sanitizer my help told me to return to salefloor on Friday but I understand about salvage going to salvage and donate going to donate but my worry was do we want salvage chemicals mixed with general merchandise? No leaks of course but stuff happens what if I put a aerosol is in there and some asshole comes and puts weights on it ?
Thats what the shipping hazardous materials training is for. Besides putting the appropriate labels on the box and keeping everything upright, I bag/ziptie everything.

I know that I won't be able to catch everything 100% of the time, which is why I do my best to educate others about chemicals in salvage and when to overide to toss so that it becomes ESIM.

Also leverage the defective report to see who is causing errors. Things are not going to be fixed if they are not addressed.

Back