delete

Status
Not open for further replies.
I train all my TMs to do everything I do. The only difference between TM and TL is TLs are responsible for holding TMs accountable for doing what they are trained.

While you can do all the duties of the TL, the TL has a lot more responsibilities such as coaching TMs and pulling up numbers.

The only real 'work' of a TL that most ETLs (That I've personally worked with) care about is the coaching and 'talent' management, but that's because Target leadership is full of weasels. I would say that since you're just a lone member of your team that you can express your concerns about workload and spin it into a positive, like if this experience might help you become a better leader or some target lingo nonsense. Give them feel good questions like: "I'm worried that I might not be able to handle all of this workload with the TL gone, could I partner with another team for assistance if it is needed?". If you were part of a team, and were expected to 'lead' them, maybe you might have something to sink your teeth into as far as complaining; but, I would say that if you were in my store it would look like a weak argument since generally their excuse is that they're grooming you for more. Ie: More work, less pay.

I guess the answer is after that long ramble of a paragraph: Smile, you're in their field of sight and all TMs look like easy prey to higher managers.

And TL positions usually have to be approved by STL and sometimes even DTL. Until that TL resigns they probably won’t approve a temporary TL position because they are included in headcount

But it doesn’t hurt to ask who is in charge of your work center and ask about a temp TL

If you were to go on a leave of absence, then what would be expected of your tms?
If you read my post, I said that there is a TL and then myself. They are on leave now.
I would expect them to do what they do when I am there because I train them to do everything I do. Working at Target isn't rocket science. While your situation isn't ideal, you really aren't doing 'TL work.'

It's not like you're being expected to lead a team or coach other team members. Which department do you work in, and what duties do you think you're doing that should only be done by a TL? In pretty much any part of the store, the goal is to develop team members to be able to function without having their TL around, because often times the TL will not be around when you're working.

Since there are no other TMs in your department, you're not involved in development of other TMs, hence you're not doing any TL work.

There's really no way I can tell you whether or not you're being treated unfairly if I don't know what work you're doing.

How am I not doing TL work if the TL is no longer working and no one has replaced them but I am doing what they did when they were working?

You're doing what you were hired to do. You aren't developing other team members, you aren't coaching other team members, and ultimately you aren't being held to the same level of responsibility for your department that a TL would be. For pretty much every TL (except maybe the GSTL, who instead does what a GSA would do), most of their job consists of doing the things that a TM would do while trying to squeeze in their TL responsibilities.

Okay hrlady, do you have a tl?

Not anymore. I used to have a HRTL but they got rid of that position at my store. Now, I work directly under my ETL-HR.

The HRTL responsibilities are now divided among my ETL-HR and myself since I am currently the most experienced HRTM on my team.

Last edited:
If I say I may be compromising my anonymity given the details I have provided about my situation, which seem to be very specific to my store

Don't fear sharing your work center there are literally 1000s of targets stores. My state alone has around 50.

@LUR99 can weigh on this as a tm who lost their etl and had to run the HR department all by herself.

You can in theory ask for a temporary promotion but stores don't really need an hr tl. It's by far the easiest team lead position since it's HRTM with the ability to coach, timeclock override and do interviews

Are you sure your TL isn't a Senior? It seems weird that your store wouldn't have an Executive or Senior in that position.

I got my store to give me a second hrtm for q4. Since they need me to schedule write I needed someone to help with the clerical.

I think I understand where you're coming from. Since I've been w/ Target, we've gone through several SLTLs (although that's not the same position you're describing). But.... during the interim between TLs, the Executive Team "elevated" a seasoned TM to a captain-like role to maintain the department. That TM was given an extra $1 per hour during her "captain-ship". That seems only fair. Maybe that's what the OP is getting at. Compensation.

Yeah that’s what I’m doing now. It’s a good job I just feels like I deal with more sensitive information than other tms, and I’m earning as much as them while working under etl hr

Hrtm is not appreciated by Target we now start at minimum wage the same as cashier. That's fine -- use hrtm to get on the bench (super easy since you generally are loved by the etLs and stl) or to get a great job outside of Target

The TL only works in hr and has been the hr in our store for over ten years ... we also have an etl hr . Now it’s etl hr and myself. Etl makes schedule and I print it and give it to stl who makes edits and I input edits and post schedule and other things like that

In all fairness this is how 99% of stores run. Only AA volume and AAA volume stores get an HRTL and I wonder if that is one of the next positions to go.

I hate to break it to you, but you're not doing anything out of the ordinary to merit a raise.

It’s fine. I just needed people to ground me, because I was getting a sense of entitlement to the TLs duties, but as you just said, I am not doing anything that calls for a raise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back