Archived Delete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trust me, you have it good if you are skinny. My last and current AP TL are fairly obese and had no business doing anything physical.

While I and my ETLAP are skinny (enough for societal standards) ... I don't worry about one of us having a heartattack mid-altercation. However ... the lack of girth to put into momentum for apprehensions is personally a little alarming.

I'm a small TPS too, and our store loves to go hands on, and I have no issues. (I do have an awesome team though) Most of the time its not worth it to go hands on, just call the cops, let them do the work and bring them back into the office.

Add on: and its amazing what the uniform will do. I get people to drop merchandise all the time just by staring them down, just got to practice your "im a little crazy, and in no mood for your crap" look.

Last edited:
Greetings and salutations.
Welcome to the Break Room.

You'll find it's much more about how you use your words and presence.
Verbal de-escalation is the key and nine times out of ten will work much better then going hand to hand.

Thanks everyone! It's making me feel a lot better knowing your first hand experiences. Like I said, I have been supervising people for 3 years and about 75% of my job was actually watching the Self Checkouts and making sure no one stole from them. I really and genuinely do want this job and hopefully I can stand out in the interview process!! Thursday won't come soon enough lol

At my store our APL once had a new in role APL for another store in our district that he was training... this girl was short ~ 5ft and very large! I pulled him aside once and in private asked... "SHE is gonna be an AP leader?" His reply was "I'm guessing she got signed off over the phone!"

As many have stated already, I agree-since you're not likely ( and not at all encouraged or recommended ) to be runnign around putting people into headlocks and all that sort of thing, if you're not exactly a body double for dwayne johnson, it's not the end of the world. it is so much more about your own awareness and alertness, your powers of observation, staying cool under pressure, and verbal skills. more than likely you'll be fine.

And if you still feel odd about it, you now will have an employee discount on whey powder and freeweights...

Our most recent AP was a very skinny GIRL! She was badass too! Weight doesn't have much to do with it. Just do great at your interview!

I was a skinny guy (still am :p) when I became a TPS :p 130lbs to be exact. I spent a good bit of my time, just in the AP office watching cameras, or at the doors. (More then likely, you won't be a door man :p but still, there's a possibility)

And BTW, you will tackle at some point. Yes, it's against rules, but there'll be a time your APS or ETL-AP asks you to. The important part is that you can try to hold the guy/gal down until another APS, TPS, or ETL-AP, APTL can get there and handcuff. Hell, if your desperate, tackle the guy, and then ask (a nearby guy) if he'll help you hold the guest down, more then likely they'll be nice about it and help... (just don't do this a lot, or you may get coached :p)

With the exception being an AP ETl, I've yet to see large tps. Being a big guy myself I've had guest think I was AP...

At my store, our TPSs and ETL-AP are fairly thin. Our APS is bigger but can still move quickly - like a bouncer, sort of.

By the way, how did it go?

Well, I had my interview today! I thought things went well. I had to do a questionnaire. Then the AP-ETL came out and took me to his office and we discussed things. Every hypothetical question he asked I answered quickly because I am in those situations weekly if not daily at my other job. The AP-ETL told me he was sure he would see me again (Not sure if he was just being nice :p). Then he took me to the HR-ETL where she asked me some questions. She said I was the first candidate of the day. She said she would let me know by mid-late next week. Hoping I get it!

You'll be fine - I'm 6" and around 145 and I trained as an ETL AP. Don't worry about having to be built to man-handle dishonest guests, as a TPS you shouldn't be doing much of that at all. Leave that to your APS, I'd say the main issue would be gaining the trust of your team and letting them feel as though you'd be able to help support them in apprehensions regardless of your size.

You have to have a very confrontational/confident personality to work in AP. If your APS asks you to confront a guest in order to prevent theft (whether it be a receipt check, making your presence known, etc.), you have to be able to do it in a heartbeat without doubting your capabilities.

Also - TPS VIBE is now a company-wide AP focus so expect to spend at least 50% of your shift at the doors making your presence known and looking out for known subjects entering the building.

TPS Vibe, is weird to me. Door presence, sure fine whatever. But all the sales floor TMs are getting this Vibe is for sales or guest service. For a TPS, Vibe for sales is kinda .... a weird fit. For guest service, sometimes I'm nice and sometimes I'm only gonna guest service while pursuing a PMR. Not sure what more than door presence they're after.

Yeah, to be honest the VIBE roll-out didn't do a very good job at breaking down what it means for different workcenters.
Think of it this way - VIBE increases sales for our honest guests by making a secure presence known. The guest feels safer seeing a TPS at the doors, and is more likely to return.
In terms of the dishonest guest TPS presence can result in more PMRs. Seeing a TPS at the door creates a perception of control and can stop dishonest guests as soon as they walk through the doors.
This ties into sales through another company focus, instocks. The less we have being stollen, the more we have in the store, and the more likely we are to be in stock. It may seem like a large chain of events leading down to it, but our TPSs play a huge role in keeping our stores in stock and impressionable.

I was a skinny guy (still am :p) when I became a TPS :p 130lbs to be exact. I spent a good bit of my time, just in the AP office watching cameras, or at the doors. (More then likely, you won't be a door man :p but still, there's a possibility)

And BTW, you will tackle at some point. Yes, it's against rules, but there'll be a time your APS or ETL-AP asks you to. The important part is that you can try to hold the guy/gal down until another APS, TPS, or ETL-AP, APTL can get there and handcuff. Hell, if your desperate, tackle the guy, and then ask (a nearby guy) if he'll help you hold the guest down, more then likely they'll be nice about it and help... (just don't do this a lot, or you may get coached :p)

Lol 130lb? how the hell were you able to be a TPS at all? You weighed as much as my left leg lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back