Archived Delivering a CCA

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I may end up issuing a CCA to one of my TMs. How do you guys initiate the conversation when you're issuing a CCA? I don't want to be "Sign this because blah blah blah." While this will come to no surprise to this TM, I want to know how you guys administer this. Thank you.

Partner with your gusto or etl & ask them to present it to that Tm. I am assume, that you did do the seek to understand thing first. Document all events.

Start with the action that initiated the chain of discipline, include steps taken, expectations, consequences: "We talked about your (situation/action) & what was needed to remedy it. When we didn't see improvement, we had to xxx & you assured me that you could take care of this. At this point, the situation still has not improved. As a result, we now have to xxx. I expect to see some improvement. If things continue in this manner, we will have to move to a final."

Im very direct and to the point with the tm. Usually they know its coming so its not a total shock. It is meant to be a wake up call to the tm. Either you improve or you will keep getting these and you are out. No need to sugar coat it.

Stick to the facts, and maintain control of the conversation.

Start with "the reason I called in here today is to discuss <issue>" and follow the formula the Redeye stated above.

Above all else, stick to the facts, maintain control of the conversation, and make it clear is more than a coaching or seek to understand.

A common pitfall when delivering a corrective action is falling into the "compliment sandwich" trap... That is, mentioning something good before and after the bad news is delivered. While it seems like a good idea, it can confuse the team member, overshadow the rest of the conversation, and loses the "formality" of the corrective action.

What everyone else said.

And

Keep control of the conversation, don't let the TM ramble off all there issues. If they start with "well Suzy did this and tommy did that and there not getting in trouble". Redirect the conversation back to the topic on hand.

Advice:, always make sure a TM walks away from the conversation with there dignity and understanding of what needs to change. This is a skill a good leader has. It took me years to master this.

Last thing, dont ever write some one up when you are mad. If it's not time sensative, maybe take a day to cool off. If it is; partner with another leader and get there input. I always partnered with my peers when I was seeking corrective action or termination: my perspective might have been sku'd and I was doing it to cover all my tracks if anything came back.

Formula i saw most TL's do was

1. Describe the problem
  2. Describe how it negatively affects the team
  3. Describe how the problem will be resolved going forward (consequences, expectations, etc.)

There was some catchy nickname for the process but I forgot it.

1. Describe the problem
  3. Describe how the problem will be resolved going forward (consequences, expectations, etc.)

It is called seek to understand.

A seek to understand is finding out the situation and a TM's thought process. You use that to determine whether a TM should be coached or not.

STU isn't really a coaching though. It's to find out what happened and determine if a coaching is even necessary. You could do a STU with someone who didn't do something wrong, but with someone who was wronged as well.

Okay, I will take all of the advice you guys gave. Thank you! This issue is a little severe so my ETL said she would be present with me when I issue this.

Yes. It's gotten crazy Red, something that went above my paygrade. PM me and I can fill you in.

1. Describe the problem

I definitely followed that structure, but I also require my team to play an active role in the conversation. I want THEM to tell me the affect it's had on the team first, as well as brainstorm resolutions for me. I force them to take an active role in the discussion, which I lead of course, so they're forced to own it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back