COVID-19 Demand that Target Protect and Compensate the Team As Covid Surges On!

Are you willing to organize at your store or with team members from other stores?

• Yes, I’m in!

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Maybe, but I need more information!

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • I’m nervous to speak up, but am interested.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • No, I can’t afford to risk it.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • No, I don’t agree with this type of organizing.

Votes: 23 57.5%

• Total voters
Not only this, but not everyone is following precautionary measures. Social distance, wear a mask, wash your hands, but most importantly - STAY HOME.
Exactly.

@Duval Dawg no one has ever said masks are foolproof, or social distancing. But they have definitely helped, and would help even more if everyone were doing both and not just some or even most people.

People are still going out in public with symptoms, still having gatherings, still not distancing. The congregating I see at work is ridiculous.

Is this intimidation? I don't know who you are, but I have federally protected rights to talk about safety with others in my work place and on here, as a Target forum. This feels like it is meant to deter me or create fear and it's inappropriate and illegal for you to try to intimidate me if you are someone in a position of authority within the company.
You clearly are new to this forum. It wasn’t a threat, just a reality for some.

This is to everyone that replied to me, I’m not gonna argue further cus it’s pointless. I never said the virus wasn’t real, the number of cases and deaths are exaggerated, don’t believe me?, just ask pro athletes and certain celebrities hell even some doctors. It’s nothing but the media and government trying to scare people so people can be on their knees before them. Not only it’s just a pandemic, it’s more of a political stunt that was started from another Country out in Asia. I been around others outside of work in gatherings and have never been sick nor have they. I do wear masks only at work and public places that’s indoor cus it is what it is. I wasn’t trying to make it all political but it’s the truth and I’ve seen multiple times how it’s all really portrayed. I’m blessed I haven’t caught the virus and that most family of mine haven’t caught it, But I’m telling y’all, it’s nothing to be scared of unless you already have health issues in which I think that’s where people should either not be working or doing much at all. No disrespect intended to anyone that I disagree with.

This is to everyone that replied to me, I’m not gonna argue further cus it’s pointless. I never said the virus wasn’t real, the number of cases and deaths are exaggerated, don’t believe me?, just ask pro athletes and certain celebrities hell even some doctors. It’s nothing but the media and government trying to scare people so people can be on their knees before them. Not only it’s just a pandemic, it’s more of a political stunt that was started from another Country out in Asia. I been around others outside of work in gatherings and have never been sick nor have they. I do wear masks only at work and public places that’s indoor cus it is what it is. I wasn’t trying to make it all political but it’s the truth and I’ve seen multiple times how it’s all really portrayed. I’m blessed I haven’t caught the virus and that most family of mine haven’t caught it, But I’m telling y’all, it’s nothing to be scared of unless you already have health issues in which I think that’s where people should either not be working or doing much at all. No disrespect intended to anyone that I disagree with.
I dare you to go sit in the er waiting room, no mask or gloves and report back your findings. ...

Please, next week come to the funeral of my friend's mother (who had no underlying health issues and thought it was ok to meet her friends after work because this is all a political stunt manipulated by the media), sought medical attention on a Friday, died Saturday morning and explain this to my friend. I'm sure her family, especially her brother who is now in the ICU, will appreciate the clarification.

Do you know how many people have health issues? More than you think, and many people with diabetes, heart problems, etc can't just not work. Sure, things like bars, gyms, movie theaters and large gatherings are easy to avoid, but again, many people don't have the luxury of staying out of work for months on end because they are scared.

So they go to work and there's Karen with her mask down coming at them asking for help, and there's TLs Marsha and Jan and TM Greg laughing it up in TSC with their masks down. They try to avoid them but they have to punch in, get their equipment, get reshop from GS, ring up guests, etc etc etc.

Just get another job you say? Of course, decent jobs where you work alone in a bubble or even better, at home, are dropping out of the sky like raindrops!

Please, next week come to the funeral of my friend's mother (who had no underlying health issues and thought it was ok to meet her friends after work because this is all a political stunt manipulated by the media), sought medical attention on a Friday, died Saturday morning and explain this to my friend. I'm sure her family, especially her brother who is now in the ICU, will appreciate the clarification.
Sorry for your loss.

Do you know how many people have health issues? More than you think, and many people with diabetes, heart problems, etc can't just not work. Sure, things like bars, gyms, movie theaters and large gatherings are easy to avoid, but again, many people don't have the luxury of staying out of work for months on end because they are scared.

So they go to work and there's Karen with her mask down coming at them asking for help, and there's TLs Marsha and Jan and TM Greg laughing it up in TSC with their masks down. They try to avoid them but they have to punch in, get their equipment, get reshop from GS, ring up guests, etc etc etc.

Just get another job you say? Of course, decent jobs where you work alone in a bubble or even better, at home, are dropping out of the sky like raindrops!
Shoot, it would be nice to just see my grand parents again without worrying about killing them.

Will me and my wife and child be ok if we get it? Probably. But of course you don’t want your kid getting sick, ever. Who knows what long term affects might come from this.

First off, I’m sorry for your loss, I truly am and I know it’s not easy losing someone. And second, Did you not read my post right? There have been tests that were bs and it’s been proven. I never said you couldn’t die or that there weren't deaths. But as usual with a lot of people today in this society, They jump to conclusions the wrong way 9 times out of 10. If you watch the news and study from sites that do not have bias regardless of views, You would figure out that something doesn’t add up.

I understand the work thing your right you can’t stay out for so long. I said I wear my mask wherever I go like work and indoor stores like that. And I never said anything about getting another job, I said about not working as in a LOA or not working completely.

My deepest condolences on your loss.

... the number of cases and deaths are exaggerated, don’t believe me?, just ask pro athletes and certain celebrities hell even some doctors. It’s nothing but the media and government trying to scare people so people can be on their knees before them...
So, basically you're trusting people who don't actually work in the medical field and study these things for a living, and instead turning to other biased media/people who have no real scientific background for your information and listening to rich people who can afford the best health care in the US; got it.
.... it’s more of a political stunt that was started from another Country out in Asia....
Right, I'll be sure to tell this to one of my friends who was in China near ground zero when it happened and witnessed it firsthand that it's all just a publicity stunt and clearly "not as big of a deal as we've made it".
Oh, and I'll tell my other friend that even though he had no health issues before and got it twice and now has to deal with severe lung issues, it's no big deal. And I'll be sure to tell my coworkers who got it pretty badly that it's all fake.
Do you want me to tell my SO's family who has losses from covid that it's all a big conspiracy too?
.... I been around others outside of work in gatherings and have never been sick nor have they ...
You're potentially asymptomatic and spreading the virus just because you wanna hang out with your friends. I bet you wear your mask under your nose too.

By the way, don't take this as a threat, but you really need to keep this in mind:
You are in an at-will employment state - they can fire you for no reason, with no warning, and no cause.

I'm not saying they're going to fire/punish you, but corporate watches this forum too. There are exceptions to at-will clauses, but you would have to prove it's a wrongful termination.

I'll say it allegedly. they will fire you for it.
I am a team member in Louisville Kentucky. I actually don't work for a union, nor am advocating for one. I came up with the demands in my petition on my own actually. I am an anti-capitalist and believe in speaking up for myself and others and I understand the risks of advocating for ourselves as a worker, because I have been fired from jobs before for trying to advocate for safety or changes. I'm just passionate about changing the culture of capitalism and its brutality. I am a community activist where I live. I care deeply about organizing and dismantling oppressive systems in the U.S. There's no cost! I am simply trying to get people to think outside of the box and start viewing the system and themselves differently!
you can not believe anything I have ever said but believe this: They will fire you and every single person you manage to "convert" to your cause. every single person.

to quote the great and powerful man Simon Whistler allegedly they will fire with extreme care every single person. allegedly.

tread lightly and speak softly you will ruin lives, otherwise.

I'll toss you one for working at Target but only because I feel generous. but use better boilerplate text next place you try to foment rebellion against the capitalist regime as what you are using here rings as such tosh that no one will 100% believe you are one of us, allegedly.

They should also be more strict across the board with TMs who slack. I know they are watching and I've heard that people have gotten written up - yet those TMs are still here and still pulling their damn masks down. Enforcement is necessary.
Well not only watching... but we ve got a TL who NAMES TM s who test positive to SELECT MEMBERS of the team. Several could have been within 6 feet for 15 minutes but they will only tell their " friend" on the team. One TM was shunned by this " friend" their first day back to work...and told, " you had covid stay away from me"...when in fact this employee tested negative.

Is this intimidation? I don't know who you are, but I have federally protected rights to talk about safety with others in my work place and on here, as a Target forum. This feels like it is meant to deter me or create fear and it's inappropriate and illegal for you to try to intimidate me if you are someone in a position of authority within the company.
hahahahaha This OP is clueless.

hahahahaha This OP is clueless.
Hmmmmm, I disagree. I am trying to make a point and be overt about it; the fact that so many folks have impulsively attempted to convince me not to be so open, that this won’t work, that I’ll be fired...is a culture of fear and intimidation that is created not just by management in stores. I understand it is not meant to be malicious, however it is an environment of cautiousness, fear, anxiety none-the-less.

I do know how things work, too well unfortunately. In my original post, I stated that I know companies retaliate and that putting myself out there is a risk in our current reality. Reading folks reactions on here is an example of why I am trying to organize...the mere fact that so many folks here, in other online spaces and everywhere in the U.S. are reactionary to organizing is a very real thing. Folks have impulsively jumped to tell me I’ll get fired, it’s a bad idea, it can’t happen. And I understand this as a symptom of years of harsh actions to intimidate, oppress, and convince working class people that it’s not worth speaking out because the consequences are not worth the effort. I’ve been fired from jobs for speaking up and trying to organize with others...and I have accepted that possibility, and find it disturbing and unjust, which is why I am pretty open about my advocacy; my approach of being overt is meant to directly challenge the culture of powerless, helplessness, fear, etc.

I know corporate and anyone can see this. I read the details of the group before joining or posting. I know many folks are very against unions and organizing by themselves. I know folks are scared to speak up. I know corporate or my store could fire me. Not clueless, just trying to engage with the situation right where we’re all at.

So it's OK if people die as long as they weren't in perfect health to begin with?

Hmmmmm, I disagree. I am trying to make a point and be overt about it; the fact that so many folks have impulsively attempted to convince me not to be so open, that this won’t work, that I’ll be fired...is a culture of fear and intimidation that is created not just by management in stores. I understand it is not meant to be malicious, however it is an environment of cautiousness, fear, anxiety none-the-less.

I do know how things work, too well unfortunately. In my original post, I stated that I know companies retaliate and that putting myself out there is a risk in our current reality. Reading folks reactions on here is an example of why I am trying to organize...the mere fact that so many folks here, in other online spaces and everywhere in the U.S. are reactionary to organizing is a very real thing. Folks have impulsively jumped to tell me I’ll get fired, it’s a bad idea, it can’t happen. And I understand this as a symptom of years of harsh actions to intimidate, oppress, and convince working class people that it’s not worth speaking out because the consequences are not worth the effort. I’ve been fired from jobs for speaking up and trying to organize with others...and I have accepted that possibility, and find it disturbing and unjust, which is why I am pretty open about my advocacy; my approach of being overt is meant to directly challenge the culture of powerless, helplessness, fear, etc.

I know corporate and anyone can see this. I read the details of the group before joining or posting. I know many folks are very against unions and organizing by themselves. I know folks are scared to speak up. I know corporate or my store could fire me. Not clueless, just trying to engage with the situation right where we’re all at.

Here are some true facts about what organizing is like in my area.

New hires in union positions START at $12 a hour for directly comparable jobs to our $15 a hour. New TL positions are very few and very far between. We have about 2 to 3 a store at Target yearly while comparable stores have less than one a year. Union healthcare premiums are lower but the deductibles and OOP max are significantly higher; if you are healthy union gets the win but if you have chronic conditions, your costs are significantly higher.

Unions create an extremely adversarial relationship between the employer and the hourly employee. They are excessively toxic. Managers are seen as an enemy no matter the situation, and teams are OFTEN extremely resistant to any change. There is no leeway for managers, if you discipline one person you must discipline everyone no matter the cost. Do you know what it's like to be forced to fire an abused mom of 5 because the child's father will not watch him if he's sick and she's called out too much but doesn't qualify for FMLA? Because if you don't, you can't fire Johnny the 21 year old who calls in hungover twice a week and his five buddies?

Unions have a place but it's not in retail. Retail is not a skilled trade. If you don't like capitalism stop buying from businesses on the stock market.

By the way, don't take this as a threat, but you really need to keep this in mind:
You are in an at-will employment state - they can fire you for no reason, with no warning, and no cause.

I'm not saying they're going to fire/punish you, but corporate watches this forum too. There are exceptions to at-will clauses, but you would have to prove it's a wrongful termination.
And wrongful termination can be awfully hard to prove, especially in an at-will employment state.

Here are some true facts about what organizing is like in my area.

New hires in union positions START at $12 a hour for directly comparable jobs to our $15 a hour. New TL positions are very few and very far between. We have about 2 to 3 a store at Target yearly while comparable stores have less than one a year. Union healthcare premiums are lower but the deductibles and OOP max are significantly higher; if you are healthy union gets the win but if you have chronic conditions, your costs are significantly higher.

Unions create an extremely adversarial relationship between the employer and the hourly employee. They are excessively toxic. Managers are seen as an enemy no matter the situation, and teams are OFTEN extremely resistant to any change. There is no leeway for managers, if you discipline one person you must discipline everyone no matter the cost. Do you know what it's like to be forced to fire an abused mom of 5 because the child's father will not watch him if he's sick and she's called out too much but doesn't qualify for FMLA? Because if you don't, you can't fire Johnny the 21 year old who calls in hungover twice a week and his five buddies?

Unions have a place but it's not in retail. Retail is not a skilled trade. If you don't like capitalism stop buying from businesses on the stock market.
Hi there, I appreciate that you’ve continued dialogue with me.
I understand about unions not always being a good option for workers. And I also agree that unions can take advantage of folks, like you’re explaining here.

I’m not advocating for starting a union, but rather organizing in general. Workers can organize themselves without joining a union. Historically, any type of organizing against corporate or capitalist interests is reprimanded and suppressed, so I know and agree that is very real.
What I’m imagining is something big, something that builds slowly, but gains momentum...I really wish there could be a movement among working class and working poor, that looks like sharing information, resources, stories, support, etc. that eventually leads to a larger change of culture socially or economically. It may take direct actions, protests, boycotts, strikes to leverage any type of changes. And there will definitely be casualties, obstacles, consequences ...
I know it’s hard to imagine bc working folks don’t have lots of extra time, energy resources outside of their jobs and lives. But I have to imagine the future changing somehow even though it feels impossible, because things are super bleak, folks are struggling, dying, suffering; people are working tirelessly and staying stuck financially, income inequality is further increasing, job environments are toxic and dehumanizing, folks are being oppressed due to racism, sexism, queerphobia, ableism. There’s so much harm that our current culture creates...to me, being open about it and seeking solutions, throwing ideas around, facing it, is an important step to breaking free in the future...

Hello all! I want to encourage you to check out the demands from Target Workers Unite! I am not advocating for a union, but collaboration from team members at the store level to get involved and help demand safer conditions as the pandemic continues and our country is still being hit hard by the virus. Please have a look at the link below! And feel free to share thoughts on the demands.

Last edited:
Back