Archived Development and Coding for Target

Status
Not open for further replies.

IIlllIIllIIIllIl

GSTL - Call me barcode
Hey guys! I've been lurking on these forums for a better part of a year and I have a few questions for you all!

I've been with Target for over 3 years while I'm working on getting a degree in Computer Science and semi recently, Sr TLs, my ETL HR, and partly my STL have been having some "development talks" with me. I've also done some stuff that I can assume are tests and the person that assigned me the tests told me that they were extremely impressed.

Now, more than just those people in the leadership team have referenced me being developed currently, and were going to start making sure that I know literally every work area in the store (I don't know softlines, but know everything else).

My first question is: If I'm being "developed," does that mean the leadership team has decided that I am fit to move up as a TL, or that they are still considering me for becoming one?

At work, I am well-known for working miracles. Everyone, including the leadership team recognizes me for being done with my work 2 hours+ early and working on something else for the remaining part of my shift. I also learn rapidly, take great pride in my work, and can be counted on for my consistency. Additionally, I take risks as advocated by my leadership team and am always recognized for it.

Is there anything else that I can do to make myself look like a better candidate for moving up within my company?

Is there a guide anywhere to where I could find interview questions for a TL position so that I can prepare and know what kind of questions to expect?

Second Question

I am working on a degree in computer science. I would love to move to Minneapolis and program for Target eventually. I've looked into a few internship programs in regards to this and they seem quite nice. The only thing that I have a concern about is that I cannot seem to find many people's experience working with Target on the technology side. Glassdoor and Reddit don't seem to help much, so I was hoping that one of you fine folks might be able to turn me in the right direction.

1. You are on the tl bench for at least 6 months..
2. Ck on careers on ehr for spot Corp jobs. They have been doing a lot of layoffs at hq.

1. Development. Have your higher-up leaders done anything besides cross-train you in most workcenters? Do you own an area or process? Have you done mock interviews or anything like that? In order to be on the TL bench, you have to pass multiple interviews and be signed off, then it could be months before a TL position opens up in the district, let alone your store. Until you're signed off, you're merely a team member who knows a lot of workcenters and might be held in high regard.

If you're close to finishing your degree, you may want to look into the executive internship. If you are successful in the internship, you could potentially become an ETL after graduating.

2. Computer Science. Your best bet would be to check out the HQ careers section on eHR. As Hardlinesmaster noted above, there have been several rounds of layoffs at corporate, and they've included IT and software development, so you'd be very lucky to get in.

1. You are on the tl bench for at least 6 months..
2. Ck on careers on ehr for spot Corp jobs. They have been doing a lot of layoffs at hq.
Your not on the bench that long as long as there is a position open for you sooner. I was on the bench for a total of a weekend... It just depends if you stay at your store or if you decide to take an open position at a nearby store.

Your not on the bench that long as long as there is a position open for you sooner. I was on the bench for a total of a weekend... It just depends if you stay at your store or if you decide to take an open position at a nearby store.
It depends on headcount. We were over on headcount at my store.

ASANTS but in my district you know longer have to interview with DTL for bench or regular tl position. For bench it would be just your STL and Etl hr. If a position open in another store you would then interview with that store STL

Target is indeed looking. They're hitting up a lot of people in the analytics world.

Target is indeed looking. They're hitting up a lot of people in the analytics world.

That's exactly what I've heard! I'm majoring in computer science with a focus in C++ programming and SQL databases. I'm also 2 semesters away from completing my other major. Additionally, I just completed several informatics (literally the science of information processing and systems). I think that coding for Target would be a great first tech job. However, I'm also looking at working for Battelle, even though the job I would take there would be less cushy.

If you're close to finishing your degree, you may want to look into the executive internship. If you are successful in the internship, you could potentially become an ETL after graduating.

I'm not terribly interested in becoming an ETL. My ETLs work well over 40 hours a week and don't really get paid enough to do what they do (my opinion). By becoming a TL, I think that it would show initiative that I was already interested in growing with my company before I advanced in their technology area (rather than applying for a position as a TM).

Does anyone know where I can find questions for a TL interview so that I can begin preparing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back