Archived Developmental Team Members

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... you are not in it for the money?
Not at all! I am 19 years old and i make a living on my own doing what i do now and although i need benefits and more pay in the near future the money is nothing to me.. it’s a passion i have.. and i want to make it known that my STL did once tell me i was on the bench although i never did prep interviews.. there is also another TM in my store that is in my shoes as well that is doing the same things and we often team up and lead together. Our STL also takes us around to judge zones and things like that

Ohhh ok , you are 19... do you think you can juggle college and 40+ hours?
I have been consistently doing this and staying successful this year so yes i can! Although it has been crazy difficult at first I was able to pull through and i actually love my busy life! I am almost done with my AA degree and plan to take a break between now and getting my bachelors so perfect opportunity and availability!

Last edited:
I have been consistently doing this and staying successful this year so yes i can! Although it has been crazy difficult at first I was able to pull through and i actually love my busy life! I am almost done with my AA degree and plan to take a break between now and getting my bachelors so perfect opportunity and availability!
Honestly huge props to you. :oops: I tried to do it and really couldn’t...

Honestly huge props to you. :oops: I tried to do it and really couldn’t...
I also rent and live on my own and pay all my own bills.. i have always been more mature in my life i guess due to the cards i was dealt but this is all besides the fact
Thank you for your comment😊

Out of curiosity- What have you been told are your opportunities?
Okay so when i first decided i wanted to be a TL my leadership was all for it.. my STL has since talked about relocation in the district or waiting for a spot in my store and says i’m ready for it but it will take time as will anything.. pretty much sums up my “opportunities” i guess

Last edited:
Okay so when i first decided i wanted to be a TL my leadership was all for it.. my STL has since talked about relocation in the district or waiting for a spot in my storyle and says i’m ready for it but it will take time as will anything.. pretty much sums up my “opportunities” i guess

🤣 If your not signed off, shit isn't gonna happen for you. I'm gonna call you out for your bs again.

🤣 If your not signed off, shit isn't gonna happen for you. I'm gonna call you out for your bs again.
Thank you for your input. I hope you aren’t right but if you are then that’s okay as well and i will move on with my life. I also do not think there is any bs for you to call me out on either i am just curious as well as new to this and wanted to see opinions of others and open my eyes a little bit....

I will update my forums as soon as something happens or if nothing happens i guess so i hope you guys stay tuned. Thank you everyone again for your input😃

Per your other thread, if you've only been with the company for a year and a half, you have NOT mastered plano, or really any workcenter. You may be able to set a Plano or work in any area, but it takes A LOT longer to truly know a workcenter & its ins and outs AND be a master at it.

You may likely be very good at what you do, but don't oversell it. Thinking you know everything there is to know is a folly of youth and does not fool those of us with experience.
My Plano TL from my old store always told me and her new TMs that you’re still in training for your first year, especially as a plano or signing TM. It’ll be the first time you’ve set patio, the first time you’ve done BTS, first time you’ve don’t Christmas etc... I always thought that was a great way to look it it. I don’t think anyone a year in can be the master at anything. I don’t think I’ve mastered a single thing at target. I think I’m pretty damn good at what I do but a master is a stretch 😂

Good luck to you. The next few weeks will be be interesting. You could be in the right place at the right time with all that’s going on. I know TL headcount increased 2-3 at my store, and mine isn’t the only one.

Is it worth it? Worth the pay, worth the stress? With the new op model, no one can answer that yet. The past 2 years under the previous way, my answer would have been not really.

I wanna see how far I can get and how quickly I can get there. It actually isn’t about the money for me. I got the job as a self-improvement project of sorts. TM to TL in a year, TL to closing TL in 18 months, and my goal is ETL in another 18 months. My leaders know my reasoning and my goals as well, and my attitude of not being afraid to take smart risks fits in with the whole ‘no lod’ culture shift. My MO is ‘better to ask forgiveness than permission’, and that has yet to fail me at Target. They’ll be more impressed with your ballsy successes than mad at your risky failures that you can speak to.

If you’re going to be an effective leader at target, my suggestion is to get people on your side. You need your leaders on your side so that they can want you to succeed. You’ll need to have your team on your side because when the team knows you have their back, and they have yours, they can and will move mountains for you.

Good luck to you. The next few weeks will be be interesting. You could be in the right place at the right time with all that’s going on. I know TL headcount increased 2-3 at my store, and mine isn’t the only one.

Is it worth it? Worth the pay, worth the stress? With the new op model, no one can answer that yet. The past 2 years under the previous way, my answer would have been not really.

I wanna see how far I can get and how quickly I can get there. It actually isn’t about the money for me. I got the job as a self-improvement project of sorts. TM to TL in a year, TL to closing TL in 18 months, and my goal is ETL in another 18 months. My leaders know my reasoning and my goals as well, and my attitude of not being afraid to take smart risks fits in with the whole ‘no lod’ culture shift. My MO is ‘better to ask forgiveness than permission’, and that has yet to fail me at Target. They’ll be more impressed with your ballsy successes than mad at your risky failures that you can speak to.

If you’re going to be an effective leader at target, my suggestion is to get people on your side. You need your leaders on your side so that they can want you to succeed. You’ll need to have your team on your side because when the team knows you have their back, and they have yours, they can and will move mountains for you.
Shoot for less for ETL! Closing everyday will burn you out or you’ll get bored with the routine. I know 18 is the technical term but they make exceptions all the time! I did 9 months gsa - TL and then 11 months as a TL and now I’m four months into being a senior and interviewing/being prepared for ETL. I think it’s always good to keep your name out there .

See... i feel the same way as you. Although i didn’t get the job with those intentions, they turned into a self improvement project. Target is truly an honor to work for and teaches you so much. I appreciate your advice and i do agree! Thank you

Thank you for your input. I hope you aren’t right but if you are then that’s okay as well and i will move on with my life. I also do not think there is any bs for you to call me out on either i am just curious as well as new to this and wanted to see opinions of others and open my eyes a little bit....

I will update my forums as soon as something happens or if nothing happens i guess so i hope you guys stay tuned. Thank you everyone again for your input😃

So far everything you have said doesn't make sense to me. You haven't been told what you should focus on....oh okay. If your that great then why not sign you off that way with all the changes you can step into a role. Sounds like your being told a handful of lies or you aren't telling the truth but whateves bro.

So far everything you have said doesn't make sense to me. You haven't been told what you should focus on....oh okay. If your that great then why not sign you off that way with all the changes you can step into a role. Sounds like your being told a handful of lies or you aren't telling the truth but whateves bro.
Yes i presented all my strengths and weaknesses to my STL initially and asked her what she thought were my strengths and weaknesses.. she asked me to improve certain aspects of myself which i did and she has noted the improvements.. my DTL has given me great feedback about my development and my STL and DTL have both agreed that i am going to make a hell of a TL.. and i wouldn’t lie.. i just wanted opinions and input from others as i have stated multiple times.. you are correct though in some ways... i do believe i should be signed off at this point but my STL is fairly new in her role (6 or 7 months) idk if that has anything to do with it.. also my DTL wanted to make sure i was on the grid for our GVP visit..

Last edited:
I am almost done with my AA degree and plan to take a break between now and getting my bachelors so perfect opportunity and availability!
Hope you will reconsider this and continue your education without a break if you have the opportunity. Not saying it would happen to you, but in a lot of cases people take a break in their education, life happens, and they aren’t able to go back and get their degree. Just saying. Good luck!

Per your other thread, if you've only been with the company for a year and a half, you have NOT mastered plano, or really any workcenter. You may be able to set a Plano or work in any area, but it takes A LOT longer to truly know a workcenter & its ins and outs AND be a master at it.

You may likely be very good at what you do, but don't oversell it. Thinking you know everything there is to know is a folly of youth and does not fool those of us with experience.
Agreed. Even targets standard is 18 months in position to have “mastered” it.

Here's my advice... For reference sake, I've been a TL for 6 years and I was promoted from within after being a TM for 4 years. I'm currently mentoring a TL bench candidate and have mentored others in the past.

1. Find a TL that will mentor you. You should be working with a TL. The STL and DTL are too big scope for you to be going to for advice. If you cant find a TL willing to mentor you then you shouldnt be doing this. Listen to your TL mentor.

2. Talk is cheap. Dont oversell yourself. EVERYONE has things they can work on. Dont use the word mastered. It comes off as condescending. Good TLs are humble. They give the credit to their team when they win and take the brunt when they dont. Think of 3 strengths and 3 oppurtunities (weaknesses) you can work on. Everyone has them.

3. OWN something in your department and do a really really good job. (Actions louder than words) Talk to your TL and your mentor. I'm sure they would be happy for you to take one of the many things off their plate.

4. Be positive, Don't complain, and dont gossip. They dont want to promote people that bitch too much and stir the pot.

5. Act like a LEADER, at the end of the day it doesnt matter how many things you can do if they dont think you can lead a team.

6. Work with your mentor, listen to your mentor. If your mentor wants to do things a little different than I spelled out here, do it that way. We all do things different. They know your store. EARN it!!

Good Luck

Here's my advice... For reference sake, I've been a TL for 6 years and I was promoted from within after being a TM for 4 years. I'm currently mentoring a TL bench candidate and have mentored others in the past.

1. Find a TL that will mentor you. You should be working with a TL. The STL and DTL are too big scope for you to be going to for advice. If you cant find a TL willing to mentor you then you shouldnt be doing this. Listen to your TL mentor.

2. Talk is cheap. Dont oversell yourself. EVERYONE has things they can work on. Dont use the word mastered. It comes off as condescending. Good TLs are humble. They give the credit to their team when they win and take the brunt when they dont. Think of 3 strengths and 3 oppurtunities (weaknesses) you can work on. Everyone has them.

3. OWN something in your department and do a really really good job. (Actions louder than words) Talk to your TL and your mentor. I'm sure they would be happy for you to take one of the many things off their plate.

4. Be positive, Don't complain, and dont gossip. They dont want to promote people that bitch too much and stir the pot.

5. Act like a LEADER, at the end of the day it doesnt matter how many things you can do if they dont think you can lead a team.

6. Work with your mentor, listen to your mentor. If your mentor wants to do things a little different than I spelled out here, do it that way. We all do things different. They know your store. EARN it!!

Good Luck
Hello and thank you for this! I love it
My STL had me team up with a TL as a mentor which i picked right away and asked if they would be willing to develop me and they agreed (about 6 or 7 months ago) and our ETL which happens to be my mentor’s directeader would also mentor and develop me and assign us projects to conquer together. Mostly when my mentor was LOD also so i got the opportunity to lead christmas sets and a lot of resets as well. My direct TL also was the first to start developing me before i even decided i wanted to be a TL... (In our store about 10 months ago each leader chose someone in their workcenter that they thought could take over for them if they were to leave)

Would also like to add that when i was a backroom TM i also ran household cleaning and paper (early E2E) doing salesplans, revisions, freight, price changes, etc for my area.. this technically was my extra project. Sales increased in the area as well due to the extra attention. Since End to End came about, i’m only really in my area but i also work a lot with my old direct backroom TL to keep BRLA up and teach TM’s and even TL’s how the backroom works when pulling batches and backstocking.. we also fix many mistakes and find out who is misunderstanding the correct ways of the backroom so we can teach them

All in all i feel like these examples i’ve provided do line up with what you’re saying but if i’m wrong please let me know

And to make it clear for everyone i’m thinking saying i “mastered such and such” was honestly a misuse of words in a sense.. i was just trying to add to the fact that i am able to do these jobs and have a good amount of knowledge surrounding each one if that makes sense.. I understand fully that doing the jobs is the TM’s job and leading is the TL’s job and i know where to draw the line on what is important with leading a team. I feel like it’s hard to identify a leader with some text on a thread (especially mine since i tend to leave important things out).. my STL has voiced to me that i’m a natural leader that knows how to lead and be the example for the team. She has also added that people listen to me and see credibility in me which is something that is hard for some TL’s...

Salesplanner que i super appreciate your kind advice and i will run with it! I hope you don’t take my rant ^^ as arguing either i just wanted to give you some extra insight.
Thanks😊

Hello and thank you for this! I love it
My STL had me team up with a TL as a mentor which i picked right away and asked if they would be willing to develop me and they agreed (about 6 or 7 months ago) and our ETL which happens to be my mentor’s directeader would also mentor and develop me and assign us projects to conquer together. Mostly when my mentor was LOD also so i got the opportunity to lead christmas sets and a lot of resets as well. My direct TL also was the first to start developing me before i even decided i wanted to be a TL... (In our store about 10 months ago each leader chose someone in their workcenter that they thought could take over for them if they were to leave)

Would also like to add that when i was a backroom TM i also ran household cleaning and paper (early E2E) doing salesplans, revisions, freight, price changes, etc for my area.. this technically was my extra project. Sales increased in the area as well due to the extra attention. Since End to End came about, i’m only really in my area but i also work a lot with my old direct backroom TL to keep BRLA up and teach TM’s and even TL’s how the backroom works when pulling batches and backstocking.. we also fix many mistakes and find out who is misunderstanding the correct ways of the backroom so we can teach them

All in all i feel like these examples i’ve provided do line up with what you’re saying but if i’m wrong please let me know

And to make it clear for everyone i’m thinking saying i “mastered such and such” was honestly a misuse of words in a sense.. i was just trying to add to the fact that i am able to do these jobs and have a good amount of knowledge surrounding each one if that makes sense.. I understand fully that doing the jobs is the TM’s job and leading is the TL’s job and i know where to draw the line on what is important with leading a team. I feel like it’s hard to identify a leader with some text on a thread (especially mine since i tend to leave important things out).. my STL has voiced to me that i’m a natural leader that knows how to lead and be the example for the team. She has also added that people listen to me and see credibility in me which is something that is hard for some TL’s...

Salesplanner que i super appreciate your kind advice and i will run with it! I hope you don’t take my rant ^^ as arguing either i just wanted to give you some extra insight.
Thanks😊

So...what are your oppurtunities? You need to be self aware of what you're bad at in order to be a good leader.

So...what are your oppurtunities? You need to be self aware of what you're bad at in order to be a good leader.
When i first went over my strengths and weaknesses to present to my STL, it was kind of hard for me to map my weaknesses out probably since we don’t tend to think badly of ourselves as humans but as a TL and even a TM too there is always room for improvement!! And i understand that😉

Initially my 3 weaknesses were i was bad at talking in front of crowds, i tend overthink/overreact, and i’m a people pleaser..
to curb my first weakness i started talking during huddles just about anything like if closing LOD missed something or if i just wanted to bring up metrics or even teach the team something new. I stepped out of my comfort zone and i don’t regret it because i’m much more confident than i was..
My 2nd weakness is more hard to explain and i guess i knew I needed improvement and i’ve seen immense improvement with that but i know i still have more to work on. It’s easier for me to take a step back and think about what needs to be said rather than reacting right away(keep in mind i am a teenager and this weakness is something that can change with age and maturity and in the last 6 mo - 1 year i have changed quite a bit)
my 3rd weakness of being a people pleaser needs more work but as i stated i’ve worked on it. Before i decided i wanted to be a TL i would help each and everyone with tasks they probably should have and could’ve done on their own but to be a leader you can’t have people rely on you to do everything for them so i guess essentially i’ve better learned how to say no to people...

All in all, these are my weaknesses and i am not saying i have curbed them by any means.. i am just pointing out that i have had lots of time to work on these things and have seen great improvements but i know self-improvement is ongoing and never ends in the leadership world.

What do you think about this?

I’m not the best with words and i always tend to leave information out... but to be fair there is just so much and summarizing is not my friend

I also want to note that probably in january ish ny STL told me that everything is pretty much good just to keep doing what i’m doing. Also she mentioned the company would hate to lose me due to them taking to long to promote me.. idk if this is good info or not but i wanted to throw it out there

Update:

Going to start my interview prep with STL soon i was told so does anybody have any advice for me on what to study away from that?

One of my biggest opportunities was being a ‘people pleaser’ and letting my desire to help the whole store cause my workcenter to sometimes end up being impacted.

Now that I’m a TL, that’s still one of my opportunities! But I’ve definitely found a better balance.

Anybody can become masters of tasks. TM tasks, and even TL tasks. It’s about being able to lead a team, and drive results and accountability from them. Good ETLs and STLs know this, and will value this. It’s more important that you can lead your team to success than it is for you to personally be the fastest at pulling batches. It’s more important that you plan and schedule your pogs revisions and salesplanners properly then it is for you to be fast at setting pogs.

We can teach the tasks. It’s much harder to teach leadership.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back