Archived Did any TM stop to think about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, they may have used multiple cashiers/check lanes or even different people. So if there's two of them, that's $3500 each, and say there's 13 check lanes open, $200 gift card from each one.. That's not unreasonable.

To be fair, they may have used multiple cashiers/check lanes or even different people. So if there's two of them, that's $3500 each, and say there's 13 check lanes open, $200 gift card from each one.. That's not unreasonable.
Believe me, this store would not have 13 lanes open in June.

I was always told that giftcards don't count until they are redeemed.
Something about 'no tangible product' until they are redeemed/spent.
I think that's just for Target giftcards, not Visa/restaurants/etc.

Nope, same with Starbucks giftcards too.
We sold tons of giftcards during Teacher Appreciation week but they didn't count towards sales.
When they're redeemed, they count because it's purchase of a tangible product.

This could have been done on self checkouts as well. I have seen cases where the amounts were even higher than that, all done on SCO.

As a TPS I challenged my STL one time when a guy wanted to buy about $10k in iTunes gift cards at electronics. I told the TM not to do it and caught hell from it until my investigator and APBP backed me up. I understood the STL point of view, sales. But something didn't seem right about the whole thing. And I was right, the guy was apart of an organized crime ring and had some pretty legit looking fake credit cards.

It would be hard for those Visa Gift Cards to be made invalid.

I agree with HLN13. It doesn't say that they forcefully took her purse away, just that it was stolen. She may have spent some time looking for her purse, as cancelling all your cards and finding the purse two hours later means you just shut off your money supply until the new cards from everyone comes in two weeks later for no reason. She may have also had more than one card and they could have gotten the $7000 as small increments spread out all over the day, watching for backup calls and cashier shift changes.

I agree with HLN13. It doesn't say that they forcefully took her purse away, just that it was stolen. She may have spent some time looking for her purse, as cancelling all your cards and finding the purse two hours later means you just shut off your money supply until the new cards from everyone comes in two weeks later for no reason. She may have also had more than one card and they could have gotten the $7000 as small increments spread out all over the day, watching for backup calls and cashier shift changes.
And this would have been a good time for her debit/credit card fraud department to kick in.

Nope, same with Starbucks giftcards too.
We sold tons of giftcards during Teacher Appreciation week but they didn't count towards sales.
When they're redeemed, they count because it's purchase of a tangible product.

My thing is, if you sell a dairy queen gift card pos isn't going to realize when it's redeemed at dairy queen. It should count towards the sales goal immediately

Target and Starbucks make sense since those are generally redeemed in a store (I suppose Starbucks could be redeemed outside of Target)

My electronics folks would go to guest services to the transaction. Then, tell them, the card didn't go though. Let's try another method of payment. That card didn't work, I am sorry. I can't do the transaction & have a nice day. Guest service tm would say the same thing, as backup.

My electronics folks would go to guest services to the transaction. Then, tell them, the card didn't go though. Let's try another method of payment. That card didn't work, I am sorry. I can't do the transaction & have a nice day. Guest service tm would say the same thing, as backup.
watch out with that. at my store someone pulled out another (stolen) card in another name. always glance at card name when first is declined, especially with GC purchases. if you feel uncomfortable, just tell the guest oh for high value GCs I have to get my supervisor's approval. or if you don't feel comfortable, hit like price inquiry and when the screen comes up pretend to look really confused and call over supervisor to "fix the problem"

Question though. I remember reading something about, how checking ID to see if the name matches the card, goes against the merchant agreement with Visa, MasterCard, etc. That as long as the card is signed, it's technically good for use, and that you can't deny a transaction for a lack of ID.

How true is that? I'm not interested in opinions, I'm interested in the facts from someone who just knows more about this. I can't remember where I read this, and too lazy to investigate.

Question though. I remember reading something about, how checking ID to see if the name matches the card, goes against the merchant agreement with Visa, MasterCard, etc. That as long as the card is signed, it's technically good for use, and that you can't deny a transaction for a lack of ID.

How true is that? I'm not interested in opinions, I'm interested in the facts from someone who just knows more about this. I can't remember where I read this, and too lazy to investigate.

"MasterCard and Visa, however, explicitly prohibit retailers from requiring an ID to accept a properly signed card"... They may ask for an Id.... And if names don't match then can decline sale since all business have right to decline sale. But you can't say no sale for not giving id. If course everyone breaks that rule... I did see link where you can "report" business for requiring an ID but who knows if they actually do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back