Archived Did she steal them? Or was it a mistake? Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other day I was working guest services, I had a women come up to me claiming that the two Visa Giftcards ($100 each) that she had purchased just a few minutes ago, weren't working because "The cashier didn't scan the activation barcode."

In my experience as a cashier, it's impossible to 'not' scan the activation code as the register blocks you from proceeding until you do so.

She then hands me a check (chicken scratch handwriting, hardly legible) for $208. She claimed that "that was how she paid for them."

In my city, two $100 Visa gift cards total at $212, not $208. So how did this cover it? She made it clear that she paid for them by check.

I looked on the back and noticed it didn't have a void stamp even though it was apparently how she paid. She also claimed that the money had already been pulled from her account. From what I know about checks, it takes about 1-4 days for a check to clear depending on the bank. So how would the money already be gone?

She then changed her story to "her mom had given her the cards" which was even loopier. She also claimed that the receipt printer jammed, which was why she couldn't provide a receipt.

I called an ETL over and had them handle it from there. I didn't buy this women's sob story but I didn't want that to affect my service in the case that it was somehow true. The cashier (who is fairly new) had accompanied her to the front, but she didn't say anything.. She looked really upset though.

SOOO, what do you guys think? Is it possible or was it likely that she was trying to pull one over on us?

I think she was trying to pull one over on you. There is no way that the cashier got past the activation code, and even if she had, why would the cashier have given the check back to the customer?! If I wanted to help out a guest by proving they had paid for something, I would be happy to show whoever the voided check, but it would not leave my register without it going into the happy little hands of another team member.

And also, "a few minutes ago?" Where exactly was she that she was trying to use them within a few minutes and then get back to Target, and get the check from the cashier? And have time to check the balance in her checking account?

I vote for trying to pull a fast one. I hope the ETL suggested where she could stick those cards.

I think she was trying to pull one over on you. There is no way that the cashier got past the activation code, and even if she had, why would the cashier have given the check back to the customer?! If I wanted to help out a guest by proving they had paid for something, I would be happy to show whoever the voided check, but it would not leave my register without it going into the happy little hands of another team member.

And also, "a few minutes ago?" Where exactly was she that she was trying to use them within a few minutes and then get back to Target, and get the check from the cashier? And have time to check the balance in her checking account?

I vote for trying to pull a fast one. I hope the ETL suggested where she could stick those cards.

That's what I thought. The ETL went to pull the purchase record from that register, I have a feeling it doesn't reflect what the women claimed. :p

Yep, trying to pull a scam and not doing a great job of it either.

The other day I was working guest services, I had a women come up to me claiming that the two Visa Giftcards ($100 each) that she had purchased just a few minutes ago, weren't working because "The cashier didn't scan the activation barcode."

In my experience as a cashier, it's impossible to 'not' scan the activation code as the register blocks you from proceeding until you do so.

She then hands me a check (chicken scratch handwriting, hardly legible) for $208. She claimed that "that was how she paid for them."

In my city, two $100 Visa gift cards total at $212, not $208. So how did this cover it? She made it clear that she paid for them by check.

I looked on the back and noticed it didn't have a void stamp even though it was apparently how she paid. She also claimed that the money had already been pulled from her account. From what I know about checks, it takes about 1-4 days for a check to clear depending on the bank. So how would the money already be gone?

She then changed her story to "her mom had given her the cards" which was even loopier. She also claimed that the receipt printer jammed, which was why she couldn't provide a receipt.

I called an ETL over and had them handle it from there. I didn't buy this women's sob story but I didn't want that to affect my service in the case that it was somehow true. The cashier (who is fairly new) had accompanied her to the front, but she didn't say anything.. She looked really upset though.

SOOO, what do you guys think? Is it possible or was it likely that she was trying to pull one over on us?

Lol, we just have fantastic "guests" don't we?
Good job handling it though. You can only do so much in that situation without having to call an ETL over.
-my vote goes for trying to pull a fast one. :p

She's either a liar or a nutjob or both. I have always felt that if a guest is going to lie to me they should put in the effort to do a good job.

I get one shift at guest services a week as gstl to work on paperwork and so I can pull someone to watch if I need to go offstage.

I love handling guests like this. Completely shutting them down. Smiling as I give them a guest comment card and refusing to elevate their BS to my LOD.

That's good to know. :)
I outta check with the ETL to see how it ended. The GSA on duty had approved the problem so I'm thinking I should ask her what she observed. :/
Can't believe that happened. Lol

Wait - the GSA on duty APPROVED the problem? The only way is if they scanned the cards again, tendered her check AGAIN (which I'm sure wouldn't go through despite her protests) & paid the diff.
If a cashier came up with her, she could verify if she processed the trans or was an unwitting pawn the woman was using.
Easy solution: AP reviews transactions with those activation codes &, if not found, no go.
She can take up the acct debit with HER bank, tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back