Archived did your store start locating produce, deli, and bakery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time experiencing it today, but having to pull deli, produce, and bakery cafs is a pain in the rear! Are your stores doing this?

This was piloted a while back, called Source to Fork (every pilot needs a weird name and acronym). With everything located, it's all auto-replenished from the FDC, and backroom has to pull and backstock. I assumed it went to every store by now, but I can assure you it is truly a real pain for both the backroom and the food teams. The backroom has to spend more time in the freezer (bakery), and has to work some really sad batches, such as pulling a single salad dressing for produce. The food teams hate it because product can be out of stock on the floor, but sitting in the backroom, and now there's an added step of having to SUBT the item instead of just grabbing it and filling to capacity.

I think this is one of those things that work in theory, but in action really doesn't seem to work out too well.

The stuff in my store's freezer at the moment isn't located, though it should be. Granted, this is because nobody works on the three flats of backstock,

At our store those teams just pulled things as they needed to. Today was the first day and man was it a pain. Our 7 o'clock bakery caf was 96 dpcis cause the etls that set it up just sto'd it all in. And they didn't monarch anything... We were told to burn it but do you know how are it is to burn a batch that large with a bunch of unopened cases. Needless to say we were pissed. Obviously it wemill get better than that, but I'm not thrilled about the whole situation.

@BRTJ , is your store a super? By deli and bakery you actually have a bakery and deli counter? The reason I ask is because the Pfresh store I work at locates all of that stuff, but it isn't that bad considering market does it all. The super I work at doesn't locate any of it because the teams pull as needed and if it ended up being located I can see how that would be a total pain in the ass for everyone.

If you mean the normal pfresh stuff, then yeah, my store always did, right from day 1 of the pfresh remodel. In the backroom, we only pulled it. The market team was tasked with pushing it and backstocking it (so they could do rotating, monarching if applicable, culling, etc). The batches were only asinine after C&S days (the market truck).

Just started doing this as well. So far it's been a blast fighting with the food teams about getting the shelves I wanted to begin with. To get them on process, bakery isn't even working their truck. They just put it away when it comes in and grab as they need to. Now they complain everything is empty. So found out they weren't working the truck, told them that's why. Now still empty, come to find out none of the bakery pogs are tied. The people that have been in those areas for a long time are just fighting me all the way. How about those deli pizzas that will not pull? Why waste the time for something that deli has to subt and slack, but doesn't?

@BRTJ , is your store a super? By deli and bakery you actually have a bakery and deli counter? The reason I ask is because the Pfresh store I work at locates all of that stuff, but it isn't that bad considering market does it all. The super I work at doesn't locate any of it because the teams pull as needed and if it ended up being located I can see how that would be a total pain in the ass for everyone.
Yup we are a high volume super. It's going to turn into a real cluster**** I guarantee it. And I can only imagine the location accuracy issues we are going to have. It's going to be an interesting experience to say the least

We started this about 2 weeks ago, and what a pain in the behind it is. The PDA signal doesn't work well in Produce, so they had to move the located shelves so that we didn't have to go in to get the waco's to scan. The deli cooler has 10 sets of rolling shelves to move to get to the located items. And the bakery freezer has no barcodes on the boxes, and it is so stupid to go in every hour to pull one of the same thing over and over again. And since they are located away from the other parts of the backroom, it adds more time than its worth.

New development for my store. We are the ones responsible for monarching every case. When my etl told me I was just standing there with my mouth open. All I could think about was all that Tuesday electronics backstock and all the POG backstock that we had to deal with. This place is gonna drive me to the bottle

I've revamped 2 PF processes through source to fork, so hopefully some of this will help you out.

1) Re profile your coolers and freezers. If your coolers have signal issues, make sure your racks are on wheels.

2) Before unloading your FDC/Food trailer, set up your pfresh area. This means 2 printers, and 2 pdas paired to printers JUST FOR BARCODING. Make sure you have sharpies as well, to write exp dates on boxes. Make sure every TM understands when they put a case of BS on that metro, it gets bcoded and written on. After 5-7 trucks it will become routine, you just need to stay on top of it.

3) MAKE SURE YOU BACKSTOCK. Seriously, HQ ordering is based on your sales floor accum, plus the number sto'd into location. This means if you don't have everything backstocked before about 5pm or so when numbers transmit, they are going to send you a lot of things you don't need. Eventually, you have no space to backstock it, and it becomes a very serious qmos/shrink issue. With source to fork, ensuring backstock is complete immediately is the most important part of the process.

I've revamped 2 PF processes through source to fork, so hopefully some of this will help you out.

1) Re profile your coolers and freezers. If your coolers have signal issues, make sure your racks are on wheels.

2) Before unloading your FDC/Food trailer, set up your pfresh area. This means 2 printers, and 2 pdas paired to printers JUST FOR BARCODING. Make sure you have sharpies as well, to write exp dates on boxes. Make sure every TM understands when they put a case of BS on that metro, it gets bcoded and written on. After 5-7 trucks it will become routine, you just need to stay on top of it.

3) MAKE SURE YOU BACKSTOCK. Seriously, HQ ordering is based on your sales floor accum, plus the number sto'd into location. This means if you don't have everything backstocked before about 5pm or so when numbers transmit, they are going to send you a lot of things you don't need. Eventually, you have no space to backstock it, and it becomes a very serious qmos/shrink issue. With source to fork, ensuring backstock is complete immediately is the most important part of the process.
My store does that too.

High volume p-fresh store, we backstock just about everything. The only things we don't are eggs, grapes, berries, & bananas. We as PAs take responsibility for filling those items.

Per best practice for PFresh, everything is supposed to be backstocked. Even bananas. The primary reason being that we don't have dedicated food teams to keep up with filling, so we are supposed to rely on autofills and cafs to keep the floor full. It seems like target is doing all they can to increase profitability in supers. Granted, most production areas are loss leaders and grocery stores in general are lucky to see a 2-3% margin. For now, supers are a thing of the past and it looks like there's going to be some growing pains as Targets tries to align them as much as possible with the PFresh model.

As more items go from store lever order to HQ replenishment, the more items will be placed into stockroom location.

As more items go from store lever order to HQ replenishment, the more items will be placed into stockroom location.
And the more items that are placed into stockroom location, the more manpower and hours for backroom. Hey, one can dream can't they?

And the more items that are placed into stockroom location, the more manpower and hours for backroom. Hey, one can dream can't they?

Good luck with that. Maybe 15 min a week if you are lucky. How many thaw and sell cookies are going to pull through the process vs. being SUBT's by the baker to replace the QMOS they pull off.

This thread fascinates me because being a pFresh store, I thought everyone always located everything, lol. Even our banannas are located (although that is more a formality and we only subtract boxes when we're clearing out a location. We get the odd box on the autofills every few hours but other than that, it doesn't pull).

If you're just starting to locate a lot of product, it's going to be a bit of a tough go at first because your autofill system will be completely out of whack. It WILL learn, though, if you put good data in and make sure your onhands are correct and you are keeping to the shelf capacity.

This thread fascinates me because being a pFresh store, I thought everyone always located everything, lol. Even our banannas are located (although that is more a formality and we only subtract boxes when we're clearing out a location. We get the odd box on the autofills every few hours but other than that, it doesn't pull).

If you're just starting to locate a lot of product, it's going to be a bit of a tough go at first because your autofill system will be completely out of whack. It WILL learn, though, if you put good data in and make sure your onhands are correct and you are keeping to the shelf capacity.

I work at both. In my opinion it makes sense for a pFresh, but not so much a super. I can understand with the major cuts to bakery, deli and produce at the lower volume supers, but not high volume supers.

I'm at a high volume super. Our main issue is a lack of PDA's. My guess is we'll be throwing all of the located items from the load onto carts that will sit there until we manage to find a PDA to backstock. Then needing PDA's (or a large notebook) to pull items for guests? I really hope this works, it sounds like a major migraine to me.

Our biggest issue with this is the Food Teams are still working on the truck as were leaving for the day, so nothing gets backstocked. Our solution is we seperate the truck when unloading of whats theirs to deal with and ours to deal with. They work our stuff first, so we can backstock it, when we are leaving we backstock everything regardless unless that team has been shown how to STO.
We havent had to monarch anything yet. So far everything is coming with labels.

I'm at a high volume super. Our main issue is a lack of PDA's. My guess is we'll be throwing all of the located items from the load onto carts that will sit there until we manage to find a PDA to backstock. Then needing PDA's (or a large notebook) to pull items for guests? I really hope this works, it sounds like a major migraine to me.

You have, have, HAVE TO have a PDA. You can't not backstock it immediately. Because of the ordering works at the HQ level, if your product isn't backstocked, the system will assume you do not have it and as a result you will see huge overages in product. This will lead to a large amount of shrink via qmos and lost sales because you are driving product out of the door via TPC.

You have, have, HAVE TO have a PDA. You can't not backstock it immediately. Because of the ordering works at the HQ level, if your product isn't backstocked, the system will assume you do not have it and as a result you will see huge overages in product. This will lead to a large amount of shrink via qmos and lost sales because you are driving product out of the door via TPC.

Thank you for the heads up! At least I'll have an idea of what to expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back