Archived Discontinued product

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, hardlines gurus, I need your help.

I'm at kind of a disadvantage at my store because my hardlines team from the top down is pretty green (myself included), and all of our salesfloor processes are rough around the edges. We have an awful lot of issues to work through, but one of the most critical is (our apparent failure at) getting d-coded product out of the backroom and on to the floor before it hits first markdown. We're also without an instocks TL presently which doesn't help things. In turn, every couple of weeks we have what I lovingly refer to as a "clearance apocalypse," where my entire week gets derailed while I work out vehicle after vehicle of clearance.

I know this is kind of a broad question, but what do you guys do? What does your routine look like in regards to this? What reports do you pull and review to keep a handle on this? And, please, feel free to lay this out to me like I'm a complete amateur...because I totally am.

Every Sunday I pull the MPG report from the Online Planogram using workbench and use it to determine which POGs have Dcode in the backroom. When possible I drop SPTMs for it and get it pulled and worked. It will tell you how many DPCI's and the aisle so you can determine where you want to flex it to. This also helps the instocks team because they don't have to deal with it in their task list, which is good if they are without a TL.

Obviously, the important part is getting the discontinued items out of the backroom before they hit clearance. If they don't already, challenge your Hardlines TLs to own the PTM process in their respective areas, as there is no Instocks TL to oversee it (in some stores, Hardlines TLs own their PTMs anyways). Run the backroom detail report to find all the discontinued items. If your leadership doesn't let you backstock d-code (in case they won't get pulled in PTM batches), make sure your TMs know where they're being flexed so they can stay together and not look messy.

Thanks for the info! Our other hardlines TL and I have been working one or two instocks shifts per week and trying to keep things full, but it really is a mess right now. It's pretty much just him and myself trying to keep hardlines afloat.

Our back room team lead owned the backroom. At every team lead meeting he had printed the decoded reports and brought them in and gave them to each team lead. Once he handed the reports to the team leads they owned it. They needed to get it out. The only exception was the consumable team lead did her own weekly. She very rarely had any clearance come out of the cooler/freezer. It can't sell from the back room!

This is the same issue I tried to solve at my store when I was hard lines TL, we had the same problem where every so often we were flooded with clearance items to the sales floor which made our end caps and overall sales floor look messy. My solution was to follow the price change daily schedule, for example if price change was to ticket hba on Monday the team lead for that department would print the backroom detail report for hba and highlight all d-code product and hand that list to a backroom team member, then all the highlighted product will be pulled along with the clearance batches and then that product would be pushed to the sales floor before it hits first mark down and potentially sell making less work for everyone in the long run, less work for price change because they won't have to ticket all that product and also the sales floor is going to look much fuller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back