Archived Dismissal Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
nope, before. but because it was "different from posted schedule"

how did she know exactly what time your wife was going to punch in? what if the tm got into heavy traffic? i'm sure she meant well. my husband had a similar problem a few years ago when he unintentially wrote down his clock in time as 706 instead of 703--they had been looking for a reason (he was top of the pay chart), so they called it falsification even though it occurred once and was in the company's favor.
falsifying records is hard to beat. i'm sure they'll have a record of every single time she did it. depending on state, you can beat it, but you may have to take a penalty. you should submit your evidence as soon as you get the paperwork for the hearing. your best bet is going to be saying that someone instructed her to do it, or she was never told it wasn't brand by her peers/superiors during training. did she complete a learning plan covering that in particular? if she can prove they knew she did it before and was trying to single her out due to cuts in AE12 it would help her case.

several people at my store who pretty much didn't deserve any unemployment got theirs after they challenged it and had a teleconference type hearing. don't give up hope, i'm sure judges are starting to get hip to spot's bs.

This all sounds so ****ty. I'm sorry for what you and your wife are going through.
I just want to make sure we all understand correctly.

The ONLY thing she was doing was this:
Technician was scheduled 11:00am-6:00pm.
Technician was running late for x reason, and called Pharmacist to let her know.
Pharmacist changes schedule to 11:30am-6:30pm so technician can get full hours and not be "late".

Is this correct?

Compliance is a req'd by spot to have tm's go to lunch by 5 hour or 6 hour mark.
Spot will fight your wife's unemployment to the max. she may of been term due to AE12.
How big of a store did she work at?
Depending on how long with spot or old your wife is, this link may help you.
http://targetfiling.blogspot.com/2011/02/various-target-related-sites-for-your.html?m=1
Good luck & keep us up to date.

The stl named in one of those lawsuits was later promoted to DTL........ :huh

I am sorry, but if everything you are saying is true this makes no sense at all....

An ETL-RX *IS* a *MANAGER*, just like your ETL-HL, SL, HR, etc.

*Any* ETL has full authority to alter a TMs schedule for any reason they see fit.

If an ETL says to himself "Gee, I really think Mark has been pushing himself too hard recently and could use a bit of a break." and says "Hey Mark, want to come in 8-1 instead of 8-3 tomorrow?" Guess what? That ETL is fully empowered to do that. Hell, they can alter a TMs schedule the same day with 5 minutes notice if they want. Now, it might be stupid to do that because then you piss off other TMs, but it is not a violation of policy.

Basically, the ETL-RX did absolutely nothing outside her authority..... there would be no grounds for corrective action.

Now, if a GSA or TL started telling people their schedule was changed without ETL approval.... yea, they would have a problem. But ETL-RX? Nope - full authority to change schedules to whatever they see fit for the store - especially when it comes to pharmacy TMs.

I am sorry, but there has got to be more to the story than this. Maybe, for example, the ETL-RX ran it by the STL and was told no, but did it anyway. In which case the issue was not changing a schedule, but doing it against STL wishes.... in which case it is insubordination, not an issue of changing a schedule.

But anyway - I had over a decade of time with Target. Never in that time did I *ever* see an ETL have to run it by anyone to alter a TMs schedule for any reason they wanted. (the one exception might be if it put that TM in to overtime, but that would be it)

A lot of TMs (for some reason) are under the impression that ETL-RX is not equal to other ETLs and is under them for some reason.... but no, they are equal to any ETL in the store as far as authority goes. You are probably misunderstanding what actually the issue was. ETL-RX can change a pharm TMs schedule for any reason they want. Something else happened you are not aware of....

*Any* ETL has full authority to alter a TMs schedule for any reason they see fit.

If an ETL says to himself "Gee, I really think Mark has been pushing himself too hard recently and could use a bit of a break." and says "Hey Mark, want to come in 8-1 instead of 8-3 tomorrow?" Guess what? That ETL is fully empowered to do that. Hell, they can alter a TMs schedule the same day with 5 minutes notice if they want. Now, it might be stupid to do that because then you piss off other TMs, but it is not a violation of policy.

Just to be clear on this subject, the rules of this WILL vary from state to state as well. Some have laws on the books that once a schedule has been posted, management can not alter it without an employee's consent. The most they can do is once they show up is to tell them they can go home early or ask them to stay later. I can state from experience to seeing this enforced.

Just to be clear on this subject, the rules of this WILL vary from state to state as well. Some have laws on the books that once a schedule has been posted, management can not alter it without an employee's consent. The most they can do is once they show up is to tell them they can go home early or ask them to stay later. I can state from experience to seeing this enforced.

Yes, but this person claims it was with mutual consent between TM and ETL. Should be no problem....

Actually, this is A -typical corporate behavior, Target or otherwise. Target always fights unemployment claims. Hopefully she has documented EVERYthing that took place to use it to win the claim.
My wife was employed by Target for several years as a executive level employee. Recentley she was terminated for changing her technicians shedule. She was not given a warning or anything.

1. Now they are deneying her unemployment.

2. Can they just fire someone like that ? Isnt there some kind of protocol " warning " they should have followed.

My wife was a exemplary employee, bringing Target thousands of dollars in revenue with her following. I guess this shows you how valuable employees are to them.

To : EatcowsnotCAFs - that is exactly what happened, Tech called and said she was going to be late and my wife changed her start and end time. She didn't think it was any big deal, the tech still worked her scheduled hours...

To : EatcowsnotCAFs - that is exactly what happened, Tech called and said she was going to be late and my wife changed her start and end time. She didn't think it was any big deal, the tech still worked her scheduled hours...

Wow, that sure doesn't sound like a dismissal for an ETL.
Does anyone know what rules she broke?
I've seen ETL's do this kind of thing at my store so I'm really interested.

I could see them making a big deal about it for payroll reasons. If she couldn't be there on time for her scheduled shift she should have lost that half hour. At least, that is how my store is. It would be falsifying documents because the team member is technically late and so should technically be coached for this. Without proof (changing scheduled times), there is no way to performance manage this individual. Seems a bit petty for her to get fired over though. Why not just have an initial conversation with the ETL?

but i bet if the other techs noticed she was changing times so the person wouldn't be late, that's a dtl/hotline call in the making. it's not like she was changing the shift ahead of time to benefit the payroll situation of the store/coverage/what not... she did it so someone wouldn't get into trouble. sounds shady to me.

There's entirely too many people getting termed for entirely inappropriate reasons.
but i bet if the other techs noticed she was changing times so the person wouldn't be late, that's a dtl/hotline call in the making. it's not like she was changing the shift ahead of time to benefit the payroll situation of the store/coverage/what not... she did it so someone wouldn't get into trouble. sounds shady to me.

no, tech wasn't on final warning and she was only technician at that store.
However when STL was reviewing reports on late tms, this tech was very high on the list. So, perhaps they were mad that tm wasn't written up for being late, but most days she wasn't late by enough for my wife to notice if it was busy.

It sounds to me like she was in the wrong from Target's perspective, even though she might not have liked doing it the TM was effecting the store by being late and should have had to deal with the consequences (coaching / CA). Even being late habitually by one minute (6 minutes after scheduled start time) can lead to coachings at my store, you will show up as late on the reports whether it's 6 minutes or 45 minutes.

If it was a regular occurrence she could have been scheduling the tm a 15-30 minute later start time when writing the schedule, rather than changing times to avoid coachings.

This does sound very odd to me to have fired the ETL-RX for this without a warning. I could see if the ETL-RX was changing the techs punches (which she wouldn’t have access in MAX anyways) and “stealing” time but she wasn’t. Sadly "falsifying company documents" is very broad and can fit in many situations one way or another. Certain TMs on my team had similar issues and I had them change their availability because at the end of the day if they can’t work their schedule on time it does affect the business. I give the TM the benefit of the doubt and fight for them if I get push back as to why they have had some tardys and I haven’t had a coaching. Changing their start time is the wrong thing to do since it does come off as trying to change her time since she was going to be late. Should have just had the TM change her availability and schedule around that.
As far as her unemployment getting denied, there is an outside company that does unemployment for Target. They will almost always automatically fight it but when appealed you can usually win because the STL/HRBP/RXBP etc will not show up for the appeal 99% of the time, especially for a term this ambiguous. What has happened since your last post?

We are waiting for a Hearing with UnEmployment. NY moves slow.

Well we won the unemployment battle....and believe it or not the store manager showed up....

Good to hear.
What did the manager have to say for himself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back