Archived Do STLs get a bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.

whippingboy

Produce Peon
For keeping underneath a total preset number of hours given to the store? Our STL is cutting hours so bad lately... I often wonder if there is a bonus involved.

Roughly put, Golden Contribution is awarded a store when they stay below hrs over a yr's time.
STL gets a significant bonus, ETLs get a lesser bonus; TLs & below get squat.

Our Store was a GC for 4 years straight. One of the downsides was that our store got less and less hours each year, almost to the point that our AA+ store had the same hours allocated for payroll as an A store in our district. The bonus for STL is huge, less for ETL. Personally I thought shooting for GC is a morale killer for the team.

Last edited:
Basically shit rolls downstream. Team members get it from Team Leads. Team Leads get it from ETLS. ETLs get it from STLS. STLs get it from DTLs and so on. Just watch the face of your STL after the Monday morning conference call when you are overspent for the month. They are ridden just as hard as the rest of the people. They are trying to avoid the same ass chewing we all get, only they would be the victim of the DTL. Some of the hours that are held back as a safety net in case the store is overspent by the end of the month on paper. You know that extra 15 minutes everyday adds up when you multiply it by your total team member count. Then there is flow. I am not going to berate flow for using more hours than they are allocated. The reality is the workload almost never matches the hours. When any ETL/STL asks how big the truck is, they forget to ask about the labor sucking repacks! So when you have a few ginormous trucks with an assload of repacks you are going to blow up hours. Thats where the "held back" hours come in. Everyone is being yelled at about overspending when in reality there is a forced safety net in place. Heres a novel idea: Be realistic about how many hours are needed to run the business the way you want it run. You want shitty service,sloppy stocking then keep the hours tighter than a frogs ass. If you want some great service, clean well stocked and organized stores open up the payroll. I guarantee that if you do that latter the sales will improve. And isn't that the ultimate goal?

I still don't see how RWT accurately predicts the workload with repacks. I HATE repacks and respect anyone who can breeze through them with little complaints. Actually, I didn't mind HBA repacks. Once I incorporated best practice, it was a breeze, especially when we had several TMs who had each aisle and its contents memorized. But the sporting good/travel/Stationary Combos sucked, as well as Office and Home Décor repacks. Not to mention Softlines, what a pain. The process would go much more smoothly if everything was in a box with a location label.

Tellmeaboutatime is right. 15 minutes a person adds up quickly. Our unload line was horrible. It was old, terrible design flaws, and we had a conveyor belt that took items upstairs, however they didn't design the upstairs backroom with enough space to put pallets down and be able to move them to bowl when they fill up. Anyway, I was able to get our store a new line, and a new design when I spoke with the Group Operations Leader. Didn't take much convincing because we got a motorized line, new nesiflex, and created a wider walkway for the upstairs unload. Our only commitment was to decrease our unload time. Our 1 truck unload went from 1:45 to 50 mins and a double, which previously was never completed simultaneously, went from 2:30 to 1:30. That's a huge savings in payroll per person.

The year our store was a store was a GC actually wasn't bad all things considered but that's because we had a top notch STL who focused on making sure people did have what they need.
The next year Spot moved him to a troubled store, sales dropped, and the new STL freaked the frell out.
She didn't have the skills to manage people so she cut hours and demanded that the work get done or else.
There has been a help wanted sign plastered to the door since she became STL.

The year our store was a store was a GC actually wasn't bad all things considered but that's because we had a top notch STL who focused on making sure people did have what they need.
The next year Spot moved him to a troubled store, sales dropped, and the new STL freaked the frell out.
She didn't have the skills to manage people so she cut hours and demanded that the work get done or else.
There has been a help wanted sign plastered to the door since she became STL.
hate to hear this.... because thats my store too...New in role STL comes in to a full green operational store, wants to make it "their" store, now all we hear is cut payroll now and get this extra list done too. Now our operational scores go to the bottom of our district and its everyone else's fault.

Thanks for the link and info. I wonder if there is an easy way to find out if our store has been a GC. Our STL likes to flaunt her awards. Perhaps there is something hanging around in her office...

Thanks for the link and info. I wonder if there is an easy way to find out if our store has been a GC. Our STL likes to flaunt her awards. Perhaps there is something hanging around in her office...

You can find out your store's GC status on workbench under store reports

My store got GC under our previous STL. Morale was significantly higher back then.

Common sense that bosses would get some type of bonus if they have no or low amounts of overtime and not going over budget of the hours they're given. Personally, I have no sympathy when I hear this crap. Why should lowly employees be penalized and/or punished because of someone else's personal greed? If only minions could get bonuses, retail might be at least tolerable or decent.

Common sense that bosses would get some type of bonus if they have no or low amounts of overtime and not going over budget of the hours they're given. Personally, I have no sympathy when I hear this crap. Why should lowly employees be penalized and/or punished because of someone else's personal greed? If only minions could get bonuses, retail might be at least tolerable or decent.
Want your mind blown? Walmart gives quarterly bonus checks to every employee, from the ground up in a store based on their store's performance...

Sure, it's only a few hundred dollars but that's more than we get at Target.

Target acts like it's better than people. That is why Wal Mart beats Target.

Yep, my dad works at Walmart and was amazed we don't get anything.

Target acts like it's better than people. That is why Wal Mart beats Target.

The sad thing is I still have co-workers who will argue endlessly that Target is still a better place to work than Walmart. In what possible way?

Walmart has quarterly bonus checks for all employees, Walmart doesn't put insurmountable roadblocks in the way of promoting beyond supervisor/team lead, and pay/benefits are roughly equal. With Walmart (and many other of those "bottom rung" minimum wage employers like McDonalds) at least they give you an incentive and opportunity to work your way out of the bottom, Target on the other hand, doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back