Archived Do you give general greetings of the day, why or why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly small greetings like that make me feel a bit uncomfortable if we don't really know each other. I tend to avoid looking up when I walk so I avoid greetings and most people won't say anything to me. I will always respond when greeted too, though.

This is interesting topic. I usually dont like to bother people but if they say Hi, I always respond. I also feel like I could be more out going. However, If I say something regardless of title I do expect some type of verbal response. Ive had ETL completely ignore me. Im not looking for friendly chat just want to complete my work.

I always say hello, good morning etc and smile. One time I greeted a team member by saying good morning and his name. He is a flow team member and I don't see flow team members very much. He stopped, smiled really big, seemed surprised and said ohh you know my name! It totally made his day that I knew who he was. Out of 120 team members there are only a couple of team members I don't care for but I always say good morning, hello etc.

I hate when people ask "How are you?"

Honestly? Do you really want to know how I am?

It's an outdated phrase that should (along with shaking hands - bleagh!) be put to bed.

One of the TMs always shook everyone's hands
Always
Every
Single
Person
He would shake hands with them when he greeted them

He's the sweetest thing but we all agreed it was kinda awkward af so we finally told him pls stop

So I have a question, for leaders and TMs. do you greet everyone you see at the store the same and if you say hello or good afternoon and they don't respond what do you do? Do you repeat it or do you just let it roll off your back? And TMs if a leader greets you or says hello or good afternoon etc. do you respond? Why or why not?

i will greet if in the right mood. sometimes verbal but usually raised eyebrows with a faked smile but not always. in the morning i function, but thats to say the hamster is leaning on the back of the couch moving the wheel with a lazy foot.

I always say good morning to people (or sign it in the case of our deaf staff).
I'm a big fan of the polite society, however I do understand folks with anxiety issues and a need to keep to themselves.

see my above comment.

I choose to ignore the a holes. Thankfully we only have a few. I am very outgoing and always say good morning, what's up or smile.

you are awesome. i will not address an ass, ass hole, horses ass, or a whole ass. doing so diminishes us all.

I always say hello, good morning etc and smile. One time I greeted a team member by saying good morning and his name. He is a flow team member and I don't see flow team members very much. He stopped, smiled really big, seemed surprised and said ohh you know my name! It totally made his day that I knew who he was. Out of 120 team members there are only a couple of team members I don't care for but I always say good morning, hello etc.

Being HR if I see someones first name I can figure out their last simply from mytime and sorting paychecks every two weeks. I love how you reach out to flow, my store struggles with that and they often feel underappreciated.

I always say "Good morning, afternoon, etc" to everyone and a little "how are you/how's it going?". I usually receive good responses and am friendly with most everyone at work. There a a few girls (like two, I've finally cracked all the others with kindness) who don't respond or act like whatever. And that's fine, my chipperness is not for everyone! BUT, our newest STL is either totally in their own head all the time or a total fucking douche and will literally act like they can't hear me when I say hello. As a professional, I think that is so rude and it sends a terrible message to your subordinates. I will always say hello, even to douche lord.

I always smile at least, although I do have a quick smirk and I realized that not everyone knows it is a smile. So recently I began working on smiling AND saying hello, good morning, or how's it going, etc.
Also, I feel like saying a person's name along with the greeting just makes it that much more personable. I am very introverted and slightly socially awkward and takes a lot out of me to do these things, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. So I've made it a point to smile and address people by their names, not only as an effort to grow as a person and come out of my own shell, but also to show a general respect for people and for those who might just need a kind remark or gesture.

I always say good morning to people ( when I first see them in the morning ). If its later in the day I will say hi or ask them hows it going ? I have learned through the years that a kind word and or gesture can go a long way. I am not perfect but I do try to treat people the way that I want to be treated.

One of the TMs always shook everyone's hands
Always
Every
Single
Person
He would shake hands with them when he greeted them

He's the sweetest thing but we all agreed it was kinda awkward af so we finally told him pls stop
I can kind of agree with that. The only time I shake hands are before and after interviews, when we're greeting visitors, guests who start the handshake, and people who come in inquiring about hiring. Shaking everyone's hands all the time isn't just awkward it's not sanitary lol

Being HR if I see someones first name I can figure out their last simply from mytime and sorting paychecks every two weeks. I love how you reach out to flow, my store struggles with that and they often feel underappreciated.
Yeah I think I can agree with that. I've tried to get my ETL-LOG to do a random spur of the moment surprise something for them but not sure what we could do. They come in at 6 and leave at 11 so the opportunity for down time is slim to none.

It depends. If I'm up to my waist in planograms and trying desperately to find where I misplaced my peghooks then I'll probably speak when spoken to but I'll still be polite about it. If I'm in electronics or softlines I'll address the guest first. I try not to give the fake happy stepford smiler vibe that Chick Fil A does though.
I'll change up my CIHYFS routine too by saying "you doing alright over there?" and sometimes if I'm in electronics I will strike up a conversation about the game I just unlocked for them

^ That's really the best you can do, just be yourself. You shouldn't have to force it or fake it, but try and be the best version of yourself. Even if you aren't outgoing or extroverted, you can always be polite.

I treat everyone the same. I greet anyone who passes by me. Some I more coldly than others, but hey they're my coworkers might as well be cordial.

I'm civil, polite. My greetings vary depending on my mood or the person.
We have one woman who has just grunted at me. After 6 months I stopped saying hello. Lately, I've taken to being overly nice, using full sentences, giving her warm wishes for a wonderful shift.
She is confused.
I am satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back