Archived Do you guys take all your 15 min breaks?

Do you take all your 15 min breaks?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I rarely take my 15s. I view them as pointless and sometimes, I wish I could skip my lunch too. I eat really poorly at Target.

You can't pack a lunch?

Oh wait, you said you never take breaks.

Now I get it.

Our break room smells really bad 90% of the time. It doesn’t seem to bother most people but I literally can’t even go in there most days. I’ve asked other people if they notice the smell and they say it’s not that bad, so guess it’s just me...
So I skip my 15s or wander around the store. I take my 30s in my car. Can’t wait until the weather is better and I can just sit outside for breaks!

its the norm at our store to work your 15's if you're higher than a TM. There are days that I'm the only SF TL, operator and running new brand launches in SF so taking a 15 is just not going to happen (and we are on back up schedule for cashiering)

There are days that I'm the only SF TL, operator and running new brand launches in

Unless you're an ULV, D volume store this sounds like really poor planning. Why do you not have fitting room or a team member carrying a cordless watch the phones?

Even HR would be appropriate rather than you.

At my store we always get the cashiers their first 15 and 30.. if they are scheduled for a second we don’t ususally give it to them unless we really can. From what we do it’s really not worth giving people a second 15 as about the time they should take it they would leave 30 mins later. Very few of the front end leaders get 15s. We get 30s because we have to but they are always hella close to compliance. We take 15s if another gsa is over at guest services or something and able to cover that but most of our cashiers we wouldn’t fully trust to have full control of the front at this point, even though it’s 15 mins, shit could go wrong lol. If I really need something to eat I would quickly buy a chocolate bar or a water just to keep me alive. But nothing big

At my store we always get the cashiers their first 15 and 30.. if they are scheduled for a second we don’t ususally give it to them unless we really can. From what we do it’s really not worth giving people a second 15 as about the time they should take it they would leave 30 mins later.

If your cashiers are scheduled for a second 15, it’s their choice to take it, not yours. Don’t matter if they leave 30 mins later, it’s not your 15 min break.

At my store we always get the cashiers their first 15 and 30.. if they are scheduled for a second we don’t ususally give it to them unless we really can. From what we do it’s really not worth giving people a second 15 as about the time they should take it they would leave 30 mins later. Very few of the front end leaders get 15s. We get 30s because we have to but they are always hella close to compliance. We take 15s if another gsa is over at guest services or something and able to cover that but most of our cashiers we wouldn’t fully trust to have full control of the front at this point, even though it’s 15 mins, shit could go wrong lol. If I really need something to eat I would quickly buy a chocolate bar or a water just to keep me alive. But nothing big

Every single cashier should call the hot line for that bullshit. You suck at planning if that is how you plan the work day.

Every single cashier should call the hot line for that bullshit. You suck at planning if that is how you plan the work day.
Yeah I’m sorry but in many states if not all this would be a violation of law not to give them a second break, especially minors if they work a full shift.

Yeah I’m sorry but in many states if not all this would be a violation of law not to give them a second break, especially minors if they work a full shift.

It's actually an automatic termination in our HR handbook to prevent or condone someone skipping their breaks.

I know it may be the culture at your store, but if any hrbp or HR director caught wind of that, you can believe pink slips would be handed out

They didn't do that at my store - they just got a coaching.

Sorry for any confusion
... that comment wasn’t really what I meant and I really fucked up typing it. in my store many few of our cashiers are scheduled over the 7 hour mark so we don’t give it then and we do ask if the ones that do want there’s and ususally the response is what I put about not wanting to go because 30 mins left or an hour or so. If they want to go we definitely have them go at a good time. I didn’t mean to start a war in here, I should definitely proof read my things to make sure they say my thoughts not the complete opposite. Also we the leaders we don’t ususally take our 15s because of the timing and time to cover. We can if we want to but choose not to as it isn’t worth it. This has been like this before I worked here so I deal with it and go if I want or need it. Sorry again
@Amanda Cantwell @HRZone @Bosch @Leonhart621 @Kartman

We've got a GSTL who is a diabetic. She makes sure that she gets her breaks and lunches....and she's pretty great at making sure the TMs get the breaks that they are entitled to.

They didn't do that at my store - they just got a coaching.

I imagine it's because no one called the hotline or the district office. Plenty of stls and hrs will cover for their peers. It's supposed to be an auto final when you leave a coaching on the computer but when I found one, my etl told me to just delete it.

@Hazza43 you're good! I think we all know you have excellent work ethic. Do your best to get your team your breaks they will have your back as you grow in the company

Sometimes I'll skip one but after working 8+ hour shifts at a place where I didn't get any kind of breaks or get to sit down whatsoever, I don't take that time for granted. I try to use them as much as I can.

Without getting into specifics I will say that retaliation is a very real worry not only during hourly team members’ time at our store but also when they part ways. Most refuse to let anyone in the store know what their next job is.

I’ve literally seen some of my leaders fake their punches but yet I got written up for supposedly falsifying a document. Seems a bit unfair but I got them back and hit them with a medical leave and now their tone has changed towards me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back