Archived Do you guys take all your 15 min breaks?

Do you take all your 15 min breaks?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s discouragement during orientation about calling the hotline.

That's not true. The videos say to call the hotline.

Without getting into specifics I will say that retaliation is a very real worry not only during hourly team members’ time at our store but also when they part ways. Most refuse to let anyone in the store know what their next job is.

They can't retaliate when you anonymously call the hotline. How would they know it's you if everyone isn't getting their breaks?

Your story isn't adding up

Respectfully, what is said after the 3 handbook overview videos is scripted but no one is in the room except the facilitator and the new team members. At the store level orientation can be whatever store management decides is important. Additional comments are added. Portions are omitted. For instance, we have never done the Be The Guest Activity.

It’s not that the entire store isn’t taking breaks and meals. It’s very specific team leads and teams. I appreciate that you think I’m crafting a story. Your store must have more integrity than mine. Count yourself lucky.

Those leaders just don't know how to manage their workload but I don't think its them that's the issue. It goes higher than them I believe. STLs and ETLs that want stuff done now or get coached type attitude then the leaders are bound to take shortcuts to make it happen.

It’s not that the entire store isn’t taking breaks and meals. It’s very specific team leads and teams. I appreciate that you think I’m crafting a story. Your store must have more integrity than mine. Count yourself lucky.

Short of being in California where it's a fireable offense.

You shouldn't concern yourself with other people's breaks and lunches. Just make sure you get your own.

Unless I’m not taking mine while also being directed to approve false punches daily.
That would be a call to dtl, hrbp or hotline. Document all events. Suppose you get hurt when you are working off the clock, spot doesn’t have to pay for it, then.

Unless I’m not taking mine while also being directed to approve false punches daily.

If you're approving them, I assume you're in hr?

Why would you not tell people in orientation to take their lunches and meals? You are enabling the poor break culture.

You're not taking yours because you choose not to. You should know better than anyone forcing people to skip breaks and lunches is a fireable offense

Also it's not your job to verify false punches. AP does that.

Last edited:
Also if you knowingly approve these requests and doing them yourself, you are taking part in falsifying records for the company. If you are being forced to do these things by upper management, they can get in trouble. Just because they are “leaders” doesn’t make them immune.

At my current store, the scheduling for food departments is so insane, it's quite common to not have any coverage in an area at times. Like, there will literally be nobody at all scheduled for a couple hours, or even an entire shift. And I don't mean that the ball got dropped because somebody called out--there was never anybody scheduled in the first place.

Makes it pretty damn difficult to even work in lunches, let alone 15s (people hit compliance a lot). I'm legitimately shocked if I get a 15 at all when I'm in cafe. In Starbucks, I know damn well I'll never ever get a 15 if I'm closing. The manager that does the scheduling is never actually in the building when all the chaos goes down. We've all just got to the point where we come in, look at the grid, and go, "WTF is wrong with the schedule this time?"

Last edited:
At my current store, the scheduling for food departments is so insane, it's quite common to not have any coverage in an area at times. Like, there will literally be nobody at all scheduled for a couple hours, or even an entire shift. And I don't mean that the ball got dropped because somebody called out--there was never anybody scheduled in the first place.

Makes it pretty damn difficult to even work in lunches, let alone 15s (people hit compliance a lot). I'm legitimately shocked if I get a 15 at all when I'm in cafe. In Starbucks, I know damn well I'll never ever get a 15 if I'm closing. The manager that does the scheduling is never actually in the building when all the chaos goes down. We've all just got to the point where we come in, look at the grid, and go, "WTF is wrong with the schedule this time?"

What happens when you brought this up with leadership?

The leadership that has the power to do something about it is never there when most of us are. 'Bux lead apparently can't do anything about it. They were asked to draw up a "regular schedule" to try and stick to weekly, as much as possible, and then the manager tossed it out.

When my week settles down from other things (like praying whatever I have is not the flu), I think I'll just end up trying to go in when that manager is there, whether I'm scheduled or not, and see if I can get a precious 5 seconds of time to mention this crap. Everyone's always stressed out by the schedules, and I'm pretty sure we don't need that added stress over our heads 100% of the time. It's just plain ridiculous.

I'm also going to ask why the only days I'm in at all this week are for clopens. I'm only cool with that every once in a while. I could inhale a whole bag of espresso and still not be a morning person, especially after closing the night before.

Because of our policy that only TLs can cover our breaks/meals up front (I'm a GSA, as I think I've mentioned, but not in this thread), we rarely get our 15s -- particularly on the odd day/evening when no TLs are scheduled with us. Then, and only then, can we have a knowledgeable cashier cover. I don't blame the TLs. They have their own work centers they're taking time away from (and with the hours cut are now often the only ones in said work center). I feel like this is going to backfire on myself and my peers one day (as in we'll get written up/coached/termed over breaks), and I am actively looking for another job (in part) because of it. I clock 17-20K steps in a shift and my feet would definitely appreciate the downtime. So would my psyche -- most of my shift is comprised of dealing with high-maintenance cashiers or unhappy guests.

(And yes, I have talked with everyone from my immediate supervisors to my ETL-GE to the ETL-HR to the STL. They send out an email, and nothing changes.)

Last edited:
I generally only take my first 15. Almost never take a second. I figure doing stuff on the iPad or computer is kind of a break at the end of the day.

At my store there have been a couple of times when the GSTL (has a health issue) has asked about her break or lunch and no one is responding to her request has said things like "I'm going on my lunch/break in 10 minutes so someone will have to cover." And....ten minutes later she walkies and says "I'm on my way to my lunch/break someone must come up front." Then she goes. At this point an LOD comes up to watch the front end. Mostly the problems aren't with breaks, but with lunches.
Breaks are usually covered by a cashier.

At my store there have been a couple of times when the GSTL (has a health issue) has asked about her break or lunch and no one is responding to her request has said things like "I'm going on my lunch/break in 10 minutes so someone will have to cover." And....ten minutes later she walkies and says "I'm on my way to my lunch/break someone must come up front." Then she goes. At this point an LOD comes up to watch the front end. Mostly the problems aren't with breaks, but with lunches.
Breaks are usually covered by a cashier.

And that's how you handle it when they give you bullshit about there being nobody to cover.
Give them time to find someone and then go.
It's not your job to worry about it.

If there are problems with breaks at food ave or Starbucks the TM just leaves (letting the appropriate people know). At Starbucks they'll leave a pot of coffee there for the guests and for food ave the guests are told that they'll have to come back. Although we do have some TMs who are able watch food ave.....and do if they are working.

Why are they so against training cashier's to cover your breaks?

Your ETL HR could lose their job if someone spoke up

I can't say much for fear of a lurker figuring out who I am, but I will say it used to be OK for cashiers to do it and the DTL shot that down.

I can't say much for fear of a lurker figuring out who I am, but I will say it used to be OK for cashiers to do it and the DTL shot that down.

That doesnt make sense. I have a feeling your store lied about it.

If a gstl is doing any solid hiring it's not difficult for a strong cashier or service desk to watch over the front.

I wish I could do that in food ave.. closing shifts are a joke.. closings at 8 and scheduled to8 with no 15. It’s a mess. I complain everyday I’m there. They always cut food ave hours first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back