Archived Do you guys take all your 15 min breaks?

Do you take all your 15 min breaks?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys take your 25 min breaks even knowing you have a huge workload?

I sometimes do if i have a time limit on tasks and i feel i need to get as much as possible done by the time i leave my shift. I have never gotten in trouble for this nor has anyone told me did you take your 15? It seems like my store is just majorly concerned about everyone taking their meal breaks.

I used to skip my breaks and just eat a granola bar at my desk between deliveries but after a while I realized that's a shitty way to work. So now I make sure to take my breaks, in the breakroom and take that time to get away from work for a bit.

I've heard of people getting disciplined for not taking their 15, though.

Oh gee..I betta make sure I take them from now on then. unfortunately im in a position where i don't have any help or coverage in my area when i do have to take a break. so i have to bring my workload back to the backroom and when i get back from break go back where i left off.

Ive been working for Target over 10 years now..theres days i take my 15's and days i dont take them at all but of course i make sure i take my meal. ive never been yelled at or talked to for it.

I lead a Starbucks and we have no one in the store (ETLs) included willing to even learn to ring up for us. Our hours are always abysmal. So we can't spare it to even cross train anyone. So my team and I sometimes skip our 15 min break (not forcing anyone). I work in a high volume Super Target. So business is always constant. We all know how it sucks to leave someone with a line of people. Knowing there is no back-up coming to help us. :(

ae1f423f736c41007bfb8030688c7e3ebc106ee297caaf968fa48729206d1512.jpg

My breaks and my workload are two separate things.

@redcounts please take your break. As @Circle9 has said People have gotten into trouble for this. I’ve witnessed peers get into trouble for this and a TL actually fired for it. Check out the thread for fired for working off the clock and you’ll see what I’m talking about. @Asuras, you as well, please take your breaks. Just looking out for my fellow Breakroom peoples.

I lead a Starbucks and we have no one in the store (ETLs) included willing to even learn to ring up for us. Our hours are always abysmal. So we can't spare it to even cross train anyone. So my team and I sometimes skip our 15 min break (not forcing anyone). I work in a high volume Super Target. So business is always constant. We all know how it sucks to leave someone with a line of people. Knowing there is no back-up coming to help us. :(
:eek: Are you me? Or am I you? :confused:

I try to take both of mine but sometimes someone needs a receipt looked up or someone is concealing on the salesfloor. My ETL gets frustrated with us when we don't take our 15s but there are times I spend more time walking back and forth to the AP office for calls that it isn't worth taking them.

That is ridiculous.
Close the store for 15 minutes and walk away.
My old store does that two to three times a day at this point. They absolutely never report that they close the store.

As a team lead, I basically never take my 15s. As a TM I'd usually skip them, but would take them occasionally.

I used to skip my breaks and just eat a granola bar at my desk between deliveries but after a while I realized that's a shitty way to work. So now I make sure to take my breaks, in the breakroom and take that time to get away from work for a bit.

I've heard of people getting disciplined for not taking their 15, though.

Certain states it's a fireable offense.

I USED to not take mine but all I realized is it creates unrealistic expectations on how long a task takes.

Also tms who don't take their breaks are generally moodier and less connected to the store. Sometimes it's nice to sit in the breakroom and learn what's going on around the store.

The problem is you enable the behavior. We used to have no one to cover the operator in the morning when she went on break. They would bring the phone into the breakroom.

A new team member put an end to that. Guess what? They started allocating more hours to softlines in the morning so someone could cover their break.

Not taking a break because there isn't coverage is letting your store off the hook for shitty scheduling. Stop doing that

Last edited:
I always take my first 15 and meal. I unintentionally skip my last 15 because I get tunnel vision and work through it. I will always take it if I happen to remember.

The problem is you enable the behavior. We used to have no one to cover the operator in the morning when she went on break. They would bring the phone into the breakroom.

A new team member put am end to that. Guess what they started allocating more hours to softlines in the morning so someone could cover their break.

Not taking a break because there isn't coverage is letting your store off the hook for shitty scheduling. Stop doing that
That’s why I throughly enjoy my Breakroom peeps!!! @HRZone put it as CLEAR as can be!!! TAKE YOUR BREAKS!!!

A new team member put am end to that. Guess what they started allocating more hours to softlines in the morning so someone could cover their break.

I still write my departments schedule. With hours we are given, there is not much room for overlap without screwing my morning team and closing team. Most of our hours are dedicated to the weekend as well because its a mad house than. What my team needs is literally back-up. Quite literally, if we press the help button. The response is: "Can someone please tell Starbucks to stop pressing that button. No one is coming to help them." Which is frustrating and demoralizing to my team.

Mean while they come up to us to requisition a drink for [insert tm] for helping front end. Or come to us when we are alone with 8 people in line and 3-4 drinks in Que. Asking us to make samples for the team huddle to boost store morale. I'm ranting at the moment but clearly I am tired and frustrated. And the fact that my direct ETL doesn't even know how to ring people up just adds to the fume.

Its been like this before I even took over. I'm friends with the previous TL who step down to a different store. So I knew this going into it. A year later, I worked hard to rebuild a new team. And we together worked hard to end the year with double digit sales comp and getting an award from our Starbucks DM for being store of the quarter. It just feels like we get the the short end of the stick. And no one will even come to help us. Let alone allow us to shut Starbucks down for a break. In fear of our DM walking in.

In the end, all I want is at the minimum for the ETLs in my store to spend 30 mins learning to ring and write on cups. Because they aren't bound to the allotted hours. And most of the time are in the building. But that is too much to ask of them because it is not within their "core role".

Last edited:
Close the store for 15 minutes and walk away.
Or like someone said earlier, have someone there selling at least brewed coffee and snacks. It ain't shit learning how to ring that up.

I don’t. I feel like I should, but I usually don’t take my first 15 until 3.5 hours in, then my meal at 5.75, and then by the time I get back I have less then two hours and don’t really feel like I need a break. But if it’s slow or nothing to do I’ll take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back