Archived Do you guys take all your 15 min breaks?

Do you take all your 15 min breaks?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Leadership knows I am a hard worker and get my work done, like these past two weeks. Hell with being sick and having to set almost every endcap I own. But I’ll leave with a clean green slate. That being said, they walkie me on my 15s/Lunches/ even though they well know I am on said 15s/Lunches.

You can turn off your walkie during any breaks. Since you are an hourly employee, answering calls during your breaks is considered working off-the-clock so you have the right to ignore them. In fact, a former TM who sued Target (and got a settlement) listed answering calls as one of the things that he was forced to do during his breaks.

If anyone ever tries to bother me during my rest and meal breaks, I straight up tell them, "I am [on break/at lunch] and don't want to work off-the-clock against Target policy. Come find me in [15/45] minutes."

(Cali Lunch is 45 mins)

I do tend to skip my last 15, especially when closing since it's so close to closing time it fucks up the flow. I'm getting better at taking all my breaks, and definitely that walkie gets turned off!

You can turn off your walkie during any breaks. Since you are an hourly employee, answering calls during your breaks is considered working off-the-clock so you have the right to ignore them. In fact, a former TM who sued Target (and got a settlement) listed answering calls as one of the things that he was forced to do during his breaks.

If anyone ever tries to bother me during my rest and meal breaks, I straight up tell them, "I am [on break/at lunch] and don't want to work off-the-clock against Target policy. Come find me in [15/45] minutes."

(Cali Lunch is 45 mins)
I ignore it and usually my peer will yell at them through the walkie. It’s just hilarious how they cant remember simple lunches

Leadership knows I am a hard worker and get my work done, like these past two weeks. Hell with being sick and having to set almost every endcap I own. But I’ll leave with a clean green slate. That being said, they walkie me on my 15s/Lunches/ even though they well know I am on said 15s/Lunches.

Turn off the radio.

I think you are generally a strong gstl from what I have read on here but I have to say if you haven't trained one or two cashier's to cover your breaks that's pretty poor leadership.

Weren't you saying how at your store the cashier's can pull batches to fill end caps but they can't cover your 15?

It may be you needing to realize that you're not the only one who can lead the front and you need to trust your peers.

Yep but we're not allowed to give cashiers supervisor numbers. Technically my guest service team can cover me, but if that access is needed I have to step in.

I used to give them a speed ID but my ETL-AP said no. My store is so high volume that it's inevitable that my numbers will be needed. Sometimes I just take a coffee break and respond when absolutely needed. Not a real 15 but close enough.

Other times we just take our 15 with our 45 when the mid comes in.

Turn off the radio.
^^^This. Also if it's such a "thing" to take a 15 minute break, combine it with your lunch break. Enough times of you all that are "skipping" your breaks do that and a overlap happens or the fuckin store burns down, (I'm exaggerating for shock value), maybe then your leadership/peers/vendors and anyone else will get the hint. I sound like a broken record because this pains me that my Breakroom peeps are working for free!!! You work too hard people. Please, TAKE YOUR BREAKS!!! Someone echo my sentiments, I don't think some people are hearing us @HRZone @Kartman

Lemme share a "Spot" story. There once was a very, very hard leader that worked for Target. This leader worked holidays, peers were on vacations, the leader covered for them. Many other leaders literally came and went. But this leader remained through and through. Trained countless TL's, future ETL's, even an eventual STL. Through and through, this leader remained. Ran "green processes" could literally go work for spot in any district. Then one day, this leader drops dead. Obviously devastated by the sudden death of this leader, the store mourned for about, I'd say 2 DAYS max. You know what happened to that store?? They kept BUSINESS AS USUAL. Moral of the story, even in death/firing/quit, Target moves on. I share this to say this, TAKE YOUR BREAKS. When you are gone, you will look back and WISH you took your breaks.

Pushing, doing pulls, zoning, backstocking, etc.. are all far more enjoyable than sitting in the breakroom for 15 minutes and doing nothing. The latter feels like a punishment, not a reward. I'd rather work without pay than get paid to do nothing.

Not to mention it destroys your momentum. When you're on a roll, the last thing you want to do is stop. Getting back into it is near impossible and the rest of the day just drags.

You find a good stopping point and stop. Using your logic, you should be working for free.

^^^This. Also if it's such a "thing" to take a 15 minute break, combine it with your lunch break. Enough times of you all that are "skipping" your breaks do that and a overlap happens or the fuckin store burns down, (I'm exaggerating for shock value), maybe then your leadership/peers/vendors and anyone else will get the hint. I sound like a broken record because this pains me that my Breakroom peeps are working for free!!! You work too hard people. Please, TAKE YOUR BREAKS!!! Someone echo my sentiments, I don't think some people are hearing us @HRZone @Kartman

I definitely agree with you that we all need to take our breaks and stop working for free. However, TMs could get in trouble for stacking breaks so it is best to take them separately.

General Rest Break Rules.jpg

Last edited:
My store is going to start scheduling people for breaks, even HL, so you'll see when you are scheduled for break(s) when you come in for your shift. Apparently the scheduling software can do that. Does anyone else's store do that?

Using my logic to the extreme, maybe. I still have bills to pay.

If I enjoy working and don't enjoy sitting in the breakroom, why should I care if I'm not getting paid for those 15 minutes? Again, it feels more like a punishment than a reward. Like sitting in time-out.

Two reasons why you should care:
1 - whether you care or not, it creates an unrealistic expectation for your fellow tm's that hey, if Sloth works through his breaks, why can't you.
2 - you acclimate your bosses that you don't take your breaks. Right now, you choose not to take it. Soon, they'll be EXPECTING you not to take it.

My store is going to start scheduling people for breaks, even HL, so you'll see when you are scheduled for break(s) when you come in for your shift. Apparently the scheduling software can do that. Does anyone else's store do that?

Yes, any store leader or HR can run the Daily Break Schedule report in myTime and it will list recommended break times for everyone working that day.

ASANTS on how stores use the report. There are certainly stores that strictly enforce assigned breaks to TMs to ensure coverage and prevent violations. My store is a bit less strict and uses the report more as a reference for anyone who has trouble calculating their own break times.

Last edited:
Yes, I take my breaks. I get what @Sloth says about being in the zone, but I tell myself things like, "When I get through the cases on this u-boat, I'll go to break. Start the repacks when I get back." I don't mind working hard, but as others have said, if I don't take my breaks, unrealistic expectations are created for myself and my fellow TMs. Plus, I'm usually hungry and in need of a snack and a dose of caffeine by break time. I always work better when my stomach isn't growling for breakfast #2.

The intent appears to help our issues with compliance and to make sure, say, the entire sales floor doesn't vanish at once or whatever.

It sounds like it's very much an effort to make sure people get their breaks, particularly leadership. They're also putting steps in place to avoid people calling the LOD/ETL over for every damn thing when a TL or general walkie call can resolve most things. Leadership end up being ones who have the hardest time hitting compliance because they're literally moving from one end of the store to the other attending to calls from TMs.

Our store posts that break report but doesn't follow it at all. I think it started when we were #1 in Worst Compliance Ever but even then, they'd just post it and go "don't hit compliance guys? Maybe?" and that was it. It's a nice idea but I'm 100% sure the algorithm just pulls numbers out of it's silicon ass because it'd expect me to take a lunch 4 hours into a shift, one hour after your break and stuff like that.

Yep but we're not allowed to give cashiers supervisor numbers. Technically my guest service team can cover me, but if that access is needed I have to step in.

I used to give them a speed ID but my ETL-AP said no. My store is so high volume that it's inevitable that my numbers will be needed. Sometimes I just take a coffee break and respond when absolutely needed. Not a real 15 but close enough.

Other times we just take our 15 with our 45 when the mid comes in.
if supervisor numbers are needed while you're on break that's what the LOD or nearest TL is for

I hate when my fellow TMs don't follow the break schedule, I'm ready for my break and then I hear "This is *insert TM name* taking my 15." 5 minutes before It's supposed to be my break. Now I have to push my break out and wait for this motherfucker to waltz back on the floor before I can take my break...

Reactions: Dog
i always take my 15s but sometimes I do 10/20 type thing. i would go crazy if i didn't.

at my store sometimes TLs/LODs will approach but as soon as I say i'm on my break they apologize and leave.

Turn off the radio.
ETLs will literally walkie me as I’m clocking out or if I call out my lunch/break. Not even a minute or two AFTER clocking in for work. LOD: “IP are you here?” And mind you, I have yet to grab my equipment, keys, or check my computer stuff. I do turn it off but I hear other peoples with their on or in the cabinet echos “IP do you copy?”

Pushing, doing pulls, zoning, backstocking, etc.. are all far more enjoyable than sitting in the breakroom for 15 minutes and doing nothing. The latter feels like a punishment, not a reward. I'd rather work without pay than get paid to do nothing.

Not to mention it destroys your momentum. When you're on a roll, the last thing you want to do is stop. Getting back into it is near impossible and the rest of the day just drags.

You would rather work for free? o_O You need to learn to pace out your work day something adults do.

IcePeasant - not your fucking problem ETL's never actually listen to the radio. They can call you until the cows come home - on a break/lunch off the clock and out of reach.. I have told them I don't respond unless you are telling me my car is on fire in the parking lot.. They are adults or supposed adults let them find their big girl panties and adult for a hot minute.

You would rather work for free? o_O You need to learn to pace out your work day something adults do.

IcePeasant - not your fucking problem ETL's never actually listen to the radio. They can call you until the cows come home - on a break/lunch off the clock and out of reach.. I have told them I don't respond unless you are telling me my car is on fire in the parking lot.. They are adults or supposed adults let them find their big girl panties and adult for a hot minute.

Good for you, you tell em. Go in, do what I know needs to be done. Yes, it’s not my problem if they don’t use their nature-given ears for the purpose intended, just mentioning what I go through and I know that’s what a lot of tms go through. Yes I do turn my walkie off, yes I do take my alotted 15s. End of story.

Not even a minute or two AFTER clocking in for work. LOD: “IP are you here?” And mind you, I have yet to grab my equipment, keys, or check my computer stuff.”

IP, I see the same thing happen at my store. I hate when ETLs do that crap to their TLs. It is problematic because this is one of the reasons why certain TLs try to work off-the-clock. They know that the LOD is going to call them asap so they check out equipment, print reports, and look through e-mails before they officially start work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back