Archived Do you think I’m going to get terminated/fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been led to believe, the only jobs available fo someone with no post-high school education, are fast food and retail, and fast food would be so rapid fast paced, Hell, as it is the workers at McDonalds already can’t get orders right most of the time, and I’ve bitten into raw beef way too many times.

Education isn’t free, or cheap.
Whoever told you that is misinformed. I have no post-HS education. My first *real* job was at 22, because I knew someone whose company needed a file clerk and was willing to put in a good word for me. I've had a very wide variety of jobs, mostly clerical in nature. Law firms, health centers, accountants, and now quality control.

Sometimes, who you know can make a difference. Talk to family, friends, people at church. Go to staffing agencies in the area and get into their systems. See if your local library or park district offer any sort of networking events or job counseling and get involved in these. Talk to your therapist about job training options. But you have to work at it. Jobs are not likely to just fall into your lap (I say it this way because it did happen to me, but the stars really aligned in an amazing way for it to have happened).

Dude, professional help. If you are truthful and you are planning suicide because you were caught being overly chatty with a guest then you have problems at a level that none of us are trained to handle.

And yeah, you can have an excellent job with only a high school education. I started at Target because I needed a mental health vacation from administrative/clerical work, not because I couldn't work elsewhere.

It’s only really hard to get fired from Target if you’re non-seasonal/non-temporary. ALL of the seasonal workers say that seasonal is let go after 3-4 months, so some of them are looking for a new job now. So as a seasonal, we’re ALL super disposable.
Thank the fucking gods for that. Most of seasonal hires are trash and only show up to get paid to socialize. Sounds like you're one of these people. I bet a lot of TMs are looking forward to seeing more than half of seasonals go. Hope you're not one of the people they want gone.

Mfw planosss won't even touch your thread....

But seriously, just to help you out in life, I'm going to bullet point this for your ease of success in the lower level workplace:

1. Keep your mouth shut while working. If you're opening it, it should be to ask for clarity or more work.

2. Find out who is THE MOST RESPECTED leader. Might be a team lead, might be an etl. People are respected because they have knowledge. Learn everything you can about anything you can.

3. Always be willing to work. "I can work" and "I can learn" are two phrases that will gain you hours. Doesn't matter where.

4. Understand that the image you project most likely plays a large role in your unemployment. Skillset and effort only carry you so far. If you project the outward appearance of a desperate loner (your current map), people just aren't going to want to keep that on. Retail is a team game, and that doesn't jive with the team. You can just as easily be largely silent (see number 1) and just have people think you're quiet.

5. Education is important but ultimately not necessary if you gain skills and experience. How you market that experience on a resume and the confidence with which you can speak to it is how you get a better job.

The world isn't all rainbows. No one likes a pity party. Continue therapy, keep your head down, and make a conscious effort every day to move forward. Goals are finite, as long as you're moving forward you're on your way. Good luck.

Last edited:
I’m SEASONAL FLOW TEAM, and just like for yesterday, only got three hours of sleep. Like usual I pushed through them, but today (second day in a row) I’m just too I’ll from lack of sleep.

There will be no one at the store for another 40 minutes, so I can’t even go back to sleep yet.

I’m so tired I can barely even formulate a question.

3:30 AM every day is bs, and I can NEVER adjust to having to fall asleep at night.

Nothing even makes sense, it’s 90 days, then 120, then 165? My TL said 90, and I was certain I’d be termed before that, but I wasn’t. But I’m pretty sure we’re all still disposable beyond 90 days.

Help?

Everyone else even says they’re looking for another job now, because we signed acknowledging we could only expect 3-4 months.

Have you considered closing at your store in a new work center if possible? If you can't sleep at night. I know it's been said before since you're seasonal you have a longer probationary period, but taking a gander at your two weeks out schedule might be able to tell you if you're still on or not, or the week after(not out yet.) since it's the first week of January and payroll is limited, usually seasonals like to be seen out the door by then.

If you don't want to wake up early why did you sign up for flow?

If you're seasonal 90 days means little. They have 165 days from your hire date to decide if they want to keep you or not. It usually doesn't take that log but some stores wait as long as they can.

Last edited:
If you don't want to wake up early why did you sign up for flow?

If you're seasonal 90 days means little. They have 165 days from your hire date to decide if they want to keep you or not. Usually doesn't take that log but some stores wait all 160 plus dats.
I actually didn’t sign up for Flow, I signed up for backroom, but they hired me for Flow.

That happens, I applied originally for a hardlines position but they stuck me in as a Cashier. "Oh, well, you applied for a hardlines position, but we can't do that... so wanna be a cashier?" Still accepted the offer nonetheless, was better than 9 hour days at Subway as a 16 year old kid who was a closing team leader from 3-11pm every fri-monday... oh and I got paid $8.50 an hour to do all of that, yippee. I say 9 hours because our Subway was 24 hours and the overnighters usually never showed up... so poor little me was stuck there at midnight, my dad waiting in the parking lot to pick me up, because I have no idea how to close down the shop because you don't have to because the overnight shows up and you're out the door, school the next day, pretty much just said "fuck me" and sucked it up until about March of last year and quit, then came to Target in May.

You just need to switch work centers, you've routinely said you're interested in staying and it helps to get trained into other areas. I'm sure someone's gonna tell me that's a bad idea but I think if you're really struggling and your store wants you on the team, I think they could manage a work center change or to cross-train you, especially since payroll will be limited and will be shifted around. Some flow team members show up at 7am and leave by 12:30pm, mostly the older Flow TMs but it works for them and my store. If you do Flow I'm sure you could get a work center switch to hardlines pretty easily if you'd decide to pursue a work center change.

I actually didn’t sign up for Flow, I signed up for backroom, but they hired me for Flow.

Very rare for Target to bring in a new hire straight to backroom.

Backroom is viewed as an important role (not saying other areas aren’t) and comes with a lot of responsibility. So usually, at least at my store, you work your way up to backroom and start in other workcenters

si-merger.JPG

Thank the fucking gods for that. Most of seasonal hires are trash and only show up to get paid to socialize. Sounds like you're one of these people. I bet a lot of TMs are looking forward to seeing more than half of seasonals go. Hope you're not one of the people they want gone.
So you’re not supposed to have a social life as an adult? Guess i
Very rare for Target to bring in a new hire straight to backroom.

Backroom is viewed as an important role (not saying other areas aren’t) and comes with a lot of responsibility. So usually, at least at my store, you work your way up to backroom and start in other workcenters
Really? There’s this guy who everyone says is severely incompetent, like he walks around a lot and takes 5 minutes to peel a label off, they say he’ll be gone soon, he started the same day as me, but as backroom.

I am a seasonal Flow Team Member. And I don’t appreciate when employers drop it on you like a bomb, especially the second you walk in and punch in.

I see myself on the schedule into January (they only schedule 3 weeks ahead) but maybe they just do that to keep workers from flipping out, or HR and the people who fire you don’t communicate with each other.

I’m expecting to be gone soon now, didn’t think I’d be here this long, but I feel I should at least get a two week warning, or some ahead of time warning. Target does actually give coachings even to sessonajs, so you actually know if you’re sucking. But I’m not going to assume they will just tell you ahead of time your last day is coming.

Wouldn’t I be off the schedule when I’d be gone? Or will I keep being put on it as if I were staying, even if I’m not?

And yes, I am past 90 days, but apparently it’s 165 for seasonals, AND all of the seasons expect to be termed 3-4 months after starting. I’ve just hit 3 months........

Even if seasonal workers are the best in the store, I’d expect them to be termed, BECAUSE, the non-term are virtually immune to termination, so Target can’t just replace non-temps with temps anyway, even if the non-temps suck and the temps work harder than they’re paid for.

I believe the next schedule (the very latest schedule) which usually is two weeks in advance you won’t be scheduled if you are not being kept. Currently though it’s not out for you till Sunday likely usually they are working on it during the week and will have it ready by then, and assuming that you can ask your workcenter TL or ETL if your being kept and they may tell you.

So it should be two weeks, the very latest schedule will show if your scheduled or not.

Really? There’s this guy who everyone says is severely incompetent, like he walks around a lot and takes 5 minutes to peel a label off, they say he’ll be gone soon, he started the same day as me, but as backroom.

It's not your job to worry about other people.
Just do your job the best you can.

Seasonals aren't always termed. I was a seasonal and I'm still plugging away, 2 years later.

If you are so worried about this, why don't you just ask? Random conjecture is pointless and not at all helpful to your sanity.

Just ask your TL.

First the people here arent some super secret spies that will give you magic answers no mattsr how many threads you start. If you dont have the courage to talk to your TL or LOD anout your concerns there isnt much to be done but wait and see. Asants for termjng my idiotic store will nust not put seasonals on the schedule and have the conversation the last day of their last week. You have some strange assumptions about target not using seasonal to replace full time tms. It happens all the time really. You need to chill out a bit you went into this knowing you would be a temp yet you are freaking out like a regular tm trying to survive past 90 days. Start focusing on sending out apps to other places and padding that resume with things.

LOL

I didn't even make it this far in the thread before I went to see how many other threads were made about this subject.

The OP has 6 threads about the same exact subject. OP, get a grip, seriously.

Oh dear god you're right.

Dude, I'm about to say a few things that I normally don't say. You might want to listen carefully.

First, social life doesn't happen at work. You are there for one reason and one reason only. You are providing labor in exchange for money. Your purpose is to work to an agreed upon expectation in exchange for an agreed upon wage. Socialize on your own time, not your employer's time. This isn't high school, you're not supposed to be flirting with pretty girls, this is real life and this is a workplace. Compartmentalize your life. Socialize somewhere else.

Second, unless someone is deliberately setting you up for a fall, what goes on with your coworkers is not your monkeys, not your circus. Quit whining about how your coworker does stuff differently. Quit whining about how your coworker manages his time. Quit trying to teach him about bathroom breaks. Be a freaking professional and interact with him in a manner that your employer expects. Refer to point number 1 about agreed upon expectations, how you act towards your coworkers is part of that; beyond that don't worry about what he does and don't judge his work ethic. Maybe your inflated beyond reason idea of your own work ethic is blinding you to seeing that he's doing things better than you.

Third, grow the fuck up. "Snitching", really? Laughing as a sign of drugs? Hints of racism? Thinking work is a place to socialize? Thinking the world cares that you aren't getting laid? My god you act like you are still in high school. This is real life. Act like a freaking adult and treat others like freaking adults. My developmentally disabled daughter who is equal to a 14 year old in many ways is far more grown up than you. I can't trust her to schedule her time appropriately to get to work on time or to take dishes out of her room on a regular basis, but I can trust her to not creep on customers at work or whine like a little baby about coworkers' personalities. Just. Grow. Up.

Fourth, if you are really that concerned about your lack of bedroom activities, hire a professional. I'd suggest paying good money for it rather than a cheap tumble at the rough part of town.

Fifth, if you are not a troll (which I'm starting to think you are) then you need serious psychiatric help. You have said you are suicidal. Your repeated posts shows an obsessive personality. The way you are focusing on this coworker of yours shows a high degree of paranoia, possibly crossing the line into delusion. You clearly have no sense of boundaries. You need to walk away from the keyboard and get an appointment with a psychiatrist or psychologist for evaluation. If everything you say is truly your perception of the truth and not a game you are playing with us then you are truly ill.

In all honesty, I sometimes chit chat while working, but I don't slow down or not get work done. It's hard to not talk when you're working with a great team where everyone likes each other, at least some of the time. When I am doing freight with my team none of us usually say a word that's un-related to work, but when it's later in the day, perhaps when we are doing fill from behind in dairy, that's when we can kind of talk and still do our work.

I don't have a problem with having no social life because I don't really thrive on it because I don't like going anywhere after work. If an old friend is in town because he's home from college I might try to hangout with him, but usually when I get home from work, I go on my computer, play guitar, do house things, or be with my girlfriend, and that's kind of just the way I like it. I'm an extrovert by day, but when I'm off of work, I'm a massive introvert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back