Archived Does your LOD work off the clock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sneakerfreak

Softlines TM
My closing LOD (who is an hourly TL) usually clocks out at least 10 minutes before she actually stops working. She'll clock out, then write her email, go to cash office, help people on the floor, etc. She told me that the higher ups make her do it to avoid hitting overtime. I get the impression that she's not the only TL who does this. Isn't it against the law, or at least against Target policy, to make employees clock out early?

Can that person take a longer lunch? Maybe during another day?

ETA : Cut that time when he/she is not the closing LOD.

Can that person take a longer lunch? Maybe during another day?

She closes five days a week so I'm not sure if she can.

I think the lead OP is talking about is the Closing Lead.

Mine definitely works off the clock. Very common that he'll clock out for lunch and then go back to whatever task he was working on, then clock back in after 30 minutes and just eat a quick snack while writing his email or doing off stage work.

Isn't it against the law, or at least against Target policy, to make employees clock out early?

Yes, and yes.

Particularly if you're in Cali, as the CA Supreme court just ruled against Starbucks for doing exactly that kind of thing. Your TL should be reminding leadership of this fact, or hotlining that shit if they don't care. It's opening Target up to huge liability and is very, very stupid. Way more costly, potentially, than 10 minutes of OT.

@Sneakerfreak i think the TL probably didn’t think they can say No to higher ups when asked to do what they’re doing. Some people have a difficult time saying no especially when dealing with management.

A lot of TLs in my building work off the clock in one form or another. Even if it’s just checking email or typing up a PDD it happens daily. I don’t think any of our TLs do physical work out on the floor though.

If the "higher ups" are giving her that direction and someone got wind the "higher ups" would be terminated. She probably gets perimeter check compensation which is good for about 12 minutes once she actually clocks about. If they don't want OT then she should start later or take longer meal break.

My store will ok TL OT if you have a justified reason. Reality is TLs will check emails and handle admin stuff before clocking in, take care of small tasks on lunch, and probably check in on a particular area before leaving, and work through breaks regularly. Sometimes there just isn’t enough time to properly get shit done.

A TM should NEVER be expected to do any of this though, and it is not mandatory or right for a TL at all. There’s a difference between driven work ethic and being taken advantage of though.

My closing LOD (who is an hourly TL) usually clocks out at least 10 minutes before she actually stops working. She'll clock out, then write her email, go to cash office, help people on the floor, etc. She told me that the higher ups make her do it to avoid hitting overtime. I get the impression that she's not the only TL who does this. Isn't it against the law, or at least against Target policy, to make employees clock out early?

Yes, exempt (salaried) leaders asking non-exempt (hourly) leaders to work off the clock without pay is illegal and against Target policy. Hourly employees must be paid for all time worked.

Here is the information straight from the Team Member Handbook:
Leaders Condoning Working Off-the-Clock Violation.jpg

Last edited:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but they get paid for the time spent locking up the store and doing a perimeter check since they HAVE to clock out. If your LOD is going to hit overtime they may need to adjust to prevent going over 40 but should have clocked in later.

Have the TL hotline the store though. If you do it for them you’ll paint a target on their back.

Puns lol

Have the TL hotline the store though. If you do it for them you’ll paint a target on their back.

Puns lol

No chance in hell I'm calling the hotline. That's a surefire way to get my LOD transferred or performanced out.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but they get paid for the time spent locking up the store and doing a perimeter check since they HAVE to clock out. If your LOD is going to hit overtime they may need to adjust to prevent going over 40 but should have clocked in later.

My guess is that my LOD hits overtime despite taking longer lunches or clocking in later, hence them asking her to clock out early.

Short answer is yes it’s illegally skirting overtime pay and against policy. I’ve seen TLs do it over the years, particularly when they are LOD and have to take lunch.

However it’s worth noting in your situation that the closing LOD gets 15 minutes of “perimeter pay” added to their time card, since they have to clock out before setting the alarm and locking the door. So if it’s truly only 10-15 minutes and then she leaves, she’s not missing out on any pay.

You are correct. I'm a SrTL. If I'm opening or closing LOD, I have this thing on my schedule marked as perimeter check. At my store, it's 10 min, but I think the standard is 15. So when I clock out, I get paid for 10 additional minutes after clocking out to arm the building, drive the perimeter, etc. In the morning, I'm paid for opening doors, etc before I go clock in.

As for working off the clock, it can be unavoidable when you're the only LOD in the building. If I "work" 5 mins while I'm on lunch, I will usually clock in, and then take an extra 5 mins or do a punch correction.

You are correct. I'm a SrTL. If I'm opening or closing LOD, I have this thing on my schedule marked as perimeter check. At my store, it's 10 min, but I think the standard is 15. So when I clock out, I get paid for 10 additional minutes after clocking out to arm the building, drive the perimeter, etc. In the morning, I'm paid for opening doors, etc before I go clock in.

As for working off the clock, it can be unavoidable when you're the only LOD in the building. If I "work" 5 mins while I'm on lunch, I will usually clock in, and then take an extra 5 mins or do a punch correction.

Do you have to do a punch correction for the perimeter check?

I work off the clock every day. Clock out for my lunch then go back to helping my team. As a lead you sort of get pulled in 100 directions at various times during the day. Could I set it up so that nobody bothers me for 30 straight minutes? Yes but 30 minutes is a long time when it comes to motivating my team to get tasks done.

It's sort of on a dont ask dont tell basis around here, and honestly I dont care either way. I usually take my 30 min once my team has gone and left and the day is over with but during crunch time it doesnt make sense to stop for that long unfortunately. Lots of work to do man.

Correct. They are paid for 15 minutes before if they open and after if they close.

So ... What if that's not being done?
Tell your HR. If they say no, ask them to contact the HRBP to ask. You should be getting paid (We get 8 minutes at my store), and you should also be getting retro pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back