Archived Does your store make you lock up your cell phones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our store is starting to crack down on cashiers and guest services with phones on.. It's because the texting has gotten so out of control that the guests were complaining.

The abusers have ruined it for all. If a phone is left out on counters or registers, the abuser will be told to put it in their car, locker, or give it to tsc until their shift is over.

Our store has said in the past that our phones should remain in our lockers....but they don't enforce it ....part of the reason being there would not be enough lockers if they truly enforced this . I also, will not use my phone for Spots business like PinkZinnia said they don't pay my bill.

Technically, since Spot pays you, and you use that money for your bill...

;D

Our store is very much on board with having phones as a tool to assist guests. Sometimes it is easier to look up an item at Target.com rather than calling out to the floor for numbers, plus showing cartwheel, my kodak moments, and the target mobile app is much easier on my phone and can cut down on the handling of a guest's phone. This is especially helpful for cashiers who can't have a my device.

It's weird, since we have been more okay with having phones out, we've had less of a problem of cashiers texting while on the lanes. I think extending some trust to them has payed off.

^Not a funny one.

I find it sad they want me to use my personal device cause theirs are crappy.

Ever since vibe there was a push to "get appy"with our guests where tms with smart phones were encouraged to carry their phones and use then to vibe with guests.

I've carried mine ever since I switched to market and my break times are often on an alarm so I don't hit compliance. My ringer also stays on as my father has lung cancer and I need to take a call if my mom needs something. I had it ring at huddle one day next to my stl. He asked if I needed to get that, and I checked and says yes thanks for asking. Lol.

I use it all day at work. It is the easiest way to search out that item guests saw online but don't remember what it was called. Find the dpci through the app, find location through the pda. I have unlimited data and get 4glte in my store even if our Wi-Fi is being slow.

coolerqueen those are valid reasons and I got a cell phone for similar reasons. Mom was ill for a long time.

I hope your dad keeps up the fight for a good long time.

But the issue remains that spot is cheating by asking us to use personal devices so they can be cheap and not outfit every sales floor TM with proper equipment.

I always have my phone on me.

There was a rumor a couple years ago. It went ... Target would reimburse an employeees $x amount per month to use their phones on the floor to help guests.

That hasn't happened. So, I carry mine with me, but rarely use it. I mainly use it to call other stores either to hold a product for a guest or get info regarding plano or signing.

A funny story: a former STL was very strict regarding cell phone use and personal calls made to the store. This was before she had kids. Then, she had two kids herself. One day, I'm walking past shoes looking for her. I find her there, while the store is open, talking to her kids' preschool. I stood back respectfully waiting, as I would anyone. When she got done, she looked at me sheepishly and said ... It's was important. I thought to myself, really, you couldn't walk off the salesfloor? And oh, all those times you disregarded other people for getting calls at work. Those calls could have been from their kids' schools. Or whatever was important to them.

So, yes, I have my phone with me. If my dad, sister, etc are in an accident, health problems, etc. I am taking that call. But I'll walk offstage to take it.

BTW, that STL was hands down the best I've ever had, especially after she had kids. She's still with the company, just in another district.

coolerqueen those are valid reasons and I got a cell phone for similar reasons. Mom was ill for a long time.

I hope your dad keeps up the fight for a good long time.

But the issue remains that spot is cheating by asking us to use personal devices so they can be cheap and not outfit every sales floor TM with proper equipment.
They caught it as early as possible, one 1mm tumor on one lung. He's doing good, it's the copd that really takes it out if him. He's a tough guy though, he's going to see grandkids before he dies, lol.

And I do not just use my phone. I carry a pda as well or call for a team member with one to meet me with one. I had my not carrying a walkie and pda come up on my 90 day review when I was working softlines and I've not only managed to get at least a walkie ever since but I usually an in market and we have one set aside for us. It's a piece of junk, but it's ours.

We are encouraged to carry ours as well. My store team is pretty good about not abusing the privilege.

The target app is 1000x more useful than item search on the PDA.

I do not see a problem with people having their phones for an emergency, but when that gets abused it ruins it for everyone. The cashiers and food ave at our store are the worst abusers. Texting instead of helping guests. And a cashier who said to gstl, I have an emergency phone call can I go take it? Gstl said of course, the cashier went in the restroom to take the call. At the same time, I was going in to wash my hands. Her emergency was, that her sister was at the mall and was asking her what color pants she wanted. I heard the cashier saying, my first choice is the rose colored ones and if they don't have them in my size get the blue ones.
I didn't say anything to gstl but I did shake my head at the cashier. She has since been let go, for continually doing that, not showing up to work, and for not doing her job when she did show up.

I will use my phone as an alarm when I go on breaks and also when I am closing so I remember when I have to give lod bundle count, and two other alarms. one is to make sure I get to electronics by a certain time, and one is my 30 minute warning so I know that I am keeping up with closing.

We are encouraged to carry ours as well. My store team is pretty good about not abusing the privilege.

The target app is 1000x more useful than item search on the PDA.
Searching on the PDA is the worst.
I tried searching for the movie "42" once. I got 1500+ results.

The only thing worse than that would be searching for anything Frozen.
Anything Frozen gives me nightmares :p

I was working in Softlines one day when a guest asked me about Frozen pajamas.
You do not even want to know how many search results came up. I was amazed

Whenever I have to search for a movie, I put in DVD or BD2 (if it's a combo pack) to try to narrow it down. But usually I just ask the electronics TM.

That's when you use your walkie instead.

A guest once asked me if we carried Goddess Bras. We didn't so a TM decided to google & see who might carry them.
Some of the things that came up even made ME blush......

Our GSTL does not really care if we lock our phones up or not she just tells us not to let her catch us with it.

Whenever I have to search for a movie, I put in DVD or BD2 (if it's a combo pack) to try to narrow it down. But usually I just ask the electronics TM.

That's when you use your walkie instead.

Oh, trust me, I don't let time go to waste. If I don't see it, I have no issue using the walkie to ask other people. I can't stand making the guest wait around because I'm lost or confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back