Archived Dont "win" a prize from Spot

Status
Not open for further replies.
We did this store wide survivor island thing for 4th quarter, your eliminated if you call out / late etc.

The last prize was a 32" TV, my buddy won it, we checked and it sells for about 350, they took 140 bucks outta his check.....

I understand paying tax or whatever, but goddamm I would have just gave it back. 140 is a lot of money out of a check from this company.

I've never heard of that happening to any of the people who have won prizes at our store.
Need more info.

There was no mention of anything being taken out of your check if you won anything. The woman who won the Nook told me about this. She said a good size chunk was taken out of hers also.

Basically he won the TV, all the execs who were there were all congrats etc etc. NO mention of any money being taken out.

On his next check something along the lines of "Holiday Prz" appears along with the 140 being deducted. Almost half the retail price.

Thats really all the info I can give you guys except that all the prizes were apparently done this way.

I know the Nook and the Ipod Nano were for sure.

Im looking at the stub.

"MRCHPRIZE" 259.99

I'm guessing that's the price of the TV, the amount taken out is about 136. So yeah pretty much he paid half for a "prize"

This was a store event, it wasn't just the flow team or anything so I'm just as confused as you guys. Posted this because I'm curious if this is common.

Last edited:
I'm really wondering if the paycheck was read correctly. Anytime you get a gift/prize that has monetary value you are still required to pay taxes on it. Generally the *prz line on your check will include both the value of the item plus the amount of taxes.

For example when I received a $50 gift card, on a future paycheck it showed ~$70 on my paycheck in the amount field since they added the $20 of taxes so that I would not be paying those out of pocket.

Code:
Description     Hours     Rate     Amount    

So they "paid" me $70, $50 of which was in giftcard form and the other $20 came out for taxes.

Last edited:
It is suggested to ck your paycheck summary on ehr. There will be a ck for a zero value, it will list the prize value & taxes. It doesn't charge anything to you,it's just a paper trail for spot.

im lucky in that my etlhr is clueless and the hrtm no longer gets enough respect to care... we give out prizes constantly, and they never key them in for taxes. however, i dont see how 140 would compute in this situation because that is not close to the amount of taxes they would be responsible for. definitely get it checked out.

They didnt pay him anything, the check was substantially lower than what he usually gets, his hours are steady so he knows what the check should be. When I know more Ill let ya know. I told him to see what happens on his next check, if he gets something back.

Yeah our store if you win something like a 5$ gift card or something, it goes on your paycheck as 5$ so that you pay the taxes on those five dollars. 140$ in taxes for that prize seems way too high.

I'm curious too.

That literally makes NO sense.
A girl at my work won an ipad for a whole year of no call outs and she wasn't taxed or anything of the sort.
And another girl, the runner up, won a iPod stereo, they just Charged it back/defected it out and gave it to her, which Im sure is not right but still. lol
My store charges stuff/defects it out cuz we cannot requisition anything cuz of our account or some...technical crap I avoid.

I've been giving several prizes in the past for performance (Great Team Hero, Top Performer, random Starbucks drinks for being a hard worker, etc)... Never once have I seen anything like this on my paychecks. They've always just requisitioned the items and given them to me.

i also find it funny i've been gth twice and never got anything other than a terrible photo of myself on the wall

we get prizes at my store but they are never over 20 bucks they do $5.00 dvds , lunch breakfast or dinner from fa or market, candy or soda, target prizes like target dogs pens, tee shirts etc during the holidays they will fill up a stocking with stuff under 25.00 or an Easter basket. they req everything out before hand so we never see anything taken out of paychecks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back