Drive up out of control

We haven't gone quite that far, but in our store due to wanting to keep the guests fingers off of our screens we've been self-signing for the guest WHEN they take possession of the goods from us. We have NEVER self-signed for the guest in advance of delivery. Our steps are simply COVID-19 fears about placing unknown fingers on our devices, so I can see this approach, but.....

Self-signing for an order BEFORE the TM has actually given the items to the guest does raise integrity issues. What if the guest does NOT agree to sign for the items (incorrect items, changed mind) or what if the client in fact does NOT show up for whatever reason or other? Since the guest's name accepting delivery has been FORGED not in their presence, this would be analogous to corporate situations which I've seen (past career) where executives and managers sign off on a contract without the notary present, then the office's notary public is LATER ordered to sign and imprint their notary stamp on the document, which says that under penalty of perjury the notary personally witnessed the signers placing their signatures on the document. (PS I've never personally been a notary but have known more than a few).

Corporate's policy on the drive-up times is cruel, but that doesn't excuse fraud.

Why are you all even signing for the guest??? Hit the ... in the corner and complete without signing!

Our driveups have been an absolute nightmare. Every morning I come in and do the return to stocks and at least 50% are missing, meaning my guest service people have been giving items to guests and not processing. There is a combined one braincell at guest service most days as wrong items are being given to people, bags left behind, etc. When I left today, there were 12 bags of missing items that guests had called about and were going to have to come back to pick up.

Everyday we have driveups going beyond 10 minutes wait time. Yesterday we had 16 drive ups here at once and a line inside, so I understand the chaos. No one in the store helps. Everybody has been pulled for flex. Not one leader in the store besides the SETL will help out at all, but she’s needed everywhere, has breaks, etc. I can hit the backup button 12 times, call over the walkie multiple times to no response for help at all. No help except the ETLs sometimes take the complaining guest calls and then come to tell us we need to do better.

Also, I’ve barely been up there. Every time I’m scheduled GS, I get pulled to flex or I’ve been scheduled for flex. I understand they need help, but I feel like no one thinks about the fact that all those orders are processed by us and us having staffing is just as important. I got berated by an ETL last week for helping the lines at GS after I put my orders into hold locations because he “doesn’t care what anyone tells me... when i am in flex, i am in flex only. end of discussion. no excuses.” in TSC in front of like 10 tms.

Kind of curious to find out if other stores value drive up right now or are ignoring it completely because I’ve complained to SE-ETL and SD to pretty much, the one person (maybe 2) at GS needs to magically be better.

ETLs never help with DU at my store. It's all on us but my GS team works really well together. I'm surprised you didn't hire 99% of your seasonal for flex. That's where all of ours went.

"Signing" doesn't mean literally forging the guest's actual name. I'll ask our SETLs to clarify how we can skip the signature. So far our store is hanging in there with drive-up but it could change very quickly the longer this crisis drags on.

"Signing" doesn't mean literally forging the guest's actual name. I'll ask our SETLs to clarify how we can skip the signature. So far our store is hanging in there with drive-up but it could change very quickly the longer this crisis drags on.

three dots in the corner. option to complete without signature. I actually do that in front of the guest explaining we are doing no touch, they will get their email receipt and they are good to go. I show the screens so they seen things being completed, also for a couple of the parking spaces its clearly on camera so the guest can't say they didn't get their stuff. At guest services it's even more clear. :)

Last edited:
I noticed it today on the walkie for the first time that things were getting pretty bad with the drive up. It was around 10:30am and guest service started calling in the walkie when the horn went off on my Zebra four times in 5 minutes. She said I need help with drive ups. No one responded. The ETL finally responded a few minutes later and told someone to respond...(useless). The horn then went off two more times in the next few minutes. This is not going to work out at all as we approach the holidays. They are going to need a lot more Zebras and employees for this drive up crap.
I got that all the time at my store people just rushing in for drive up, order pickup and then carts gets low. Then my gstl in front lane ask me to help out and I'm doing all four task at once. And I am just a cart attendent too

When we get low on carts our SD says the person who is counting the people entering the store needs to go outside and get some ????? Yeah cuz we can totally do both ?? I just let us run out of carts because the counting is more important imo

When we get low on carts our SD says the person who is counting the people entering the store needs to go outside and get some ????? Yeah cuz we can totally do both ?? I just let us run out of carts because the counting is more important imo
I don’t know what best practice is anymore but it can’t be this lol.

I miss premodernization when official best practice was ETLs get carts

We were told that we weren’t getting those cameras so I still have to have someone at the door counting. When it’s not too busy the cart wiper TMs does both.

I was checking out this new app yesterday and it seemed off to me. Not counting employees it said we only had around 45 guests shopping. That seemed really low based on the amount of people we had just checking out at that time. With a limit of over 500 guests I don’t see us ever making guests wait to come in.

If I already posted about this, please forgive me, but what is best practice when there is lightning and we have drive ups? I know FOS attendants can’t go out to get carts when it’s lightening, but what about drive ups? I think standing close to those “towers” adds to the risk. Do anyone have any info about this? Please?

Back