Drive up out of control

If I already posted about this, please forgive me, but what is best practice when there is lightning and we have drive ups? I know FOS attendants can’t go out to get carts when it’s lightening, but what about drive ups? I think standing close to those “towers” adds to the risk. Do anyone have any info about this? Please?
You have a right to feel comfortable at work so hopefully if you were really worried about it, an ETL or TL would step up. In reality it would probably be suit up in the lowkey cute drive up rain jacket and reflective vest

I am curious to know if there’s an official best practice (my guess is there isn’t)

You have a right to feel comfortable at work so hopefully if you were really worried about it, an ETL or TL would step up. In reality it would probably be suit up in the lowkey cute drive up rain jacket and reflective vest

I am curious to know if there’s an official best practice (my guess is there isn’t)

This why the orders need a phone number. That way you can call them and ask if they would pull up to the front of the store

I'm not sure if it'd be allowed, but what about temporary signs on the spaces to pull up to the sidewalk? My local PetSmart has a cafe style sign on the sidewalk, large writing, that says to pull up right there and call the store number (digits written) and pop the trunk and the order would be brought out and put in the vehicle. Reflective material could be used for the background so it can be read in the dark when headlights hit it, and laminating could be done to protect from wetness.

Of course that means someone would need to be answering the phones.

I'm not sure if it'd be allowed, but what about temporary signs on the spaces to pull up to the sidewalk? My local PetSmart has a cafe style sign on the sidewalk, large writing, that says to pull up right there and call the store number (digits written) and pop the trunk and the order would be brought out and put in the vehicle. Reflective material could be used for the background so it can be read in the dark when headlights hit it, and laminating could be done to protect from wetness.

Of course that means someone would need to be answering the phones.
I like this. One store as a pilot got a drive thru style drive up which I think all stores should have. My store is actually well setup for it layout wise

If I already posted about this, please forgive me, but what is best practice when there is lightning and we have drive ups? I know FOS attendants can’t go out to get carts when it’s lightening, but what about drive ups? I think standing close to those “towers” adds to the risk. Do anyone have any info about this? Please?
We do not take drive ups out with lightning overhead. We also don’t go out during tornado warnings or hail. Thunder is on the “no go” list,but I’m fine with going out as long as no lightning.

I wish the app and email mentioned we don’t go out under adverse condition. we usually have guests complain they’ve been waiting in their car 15 minutes and no one has come out in the thunderstorm with their order. Why do so many people wait for rain to come get their orders Anyway?

We’re deep into the coronavirus pandemic and we still haven’t figured out a way to handle drive ups in a good manner. Leadership leaves the 1 or 2 people up there by themselves to handle it. They called for back up for over an hour this weekend and got absolutely none. Turns out drive up guests had been waiting for 45 minutes to an hour outside, but when you have one cashier scheduled and the only person on the salesfloor on backup, 2 at guest service and inside lines like crazy and no one will help, it’s chaos.

I got yelled at for helping GS while in flex a few weeks ago after putting my opus into hold, so by the time I was alerted to the situation this weekend (scheduled in flex again 🤦‍♀️🙄). It was broken beyond repair. Guests had dropped off the arrived timer because they had waited so long, so I had to personally go to each car, apologize, and take down the guests name on a piece of paper to make sure I got everyone.

On top of that, we still have so many return to stocks that are missing— meaning GS team is giving orders out and not processing. 🤦‍♀️

Drive up guide in workday is informative. Just recently we were experiencing very bad weather, with zero visibility due to the high winds and rain. Stores used to be able to make call and pause drive up. Not anymore! Needs approval called in from DTL and District APBP. Don’t waste your time as it only pauses guests from placing new orders. Not the ones who have already ordered. Either way the guests will get their orders and say I can’t believe they made you come, out try to stay dry! Still blows my mind Target can’t send a message “services have been suspended briefly due to weather “. Honestly, nothing you can order in a driveup is a life saving emergency... maybe Benadryl??? And ur still not gonna be able to get that before 2 hours.

Last edited:
We’re deep into the coronavirus pandemic and we still haven’t figured out a way to handle drive ups in a good manner. Leadership leaves the 1 or 2 people up there by themselves to handle it. They called for back up for over an hour this weekend and got absolutely none. Turns out drive up guests had been waiting for 45 minutes to an hour outside, but when you have one cashier scheduled and the only person on the salesfloor on backup, 2 at guest service and inside lines like crazy and no one will help, it’s chaos.

I got yelled at for helping GS while in flex a few weeks ago after putting my opus into hold, so by the time I was alerted to the situation this weekend (scheduled in flex again 🤦‍♀️🙄). It was broken beyond repair. Guests had dropped off the arrived timer because they had waited so long, so I had to personally go to each car, apologize, and take down the guests name on a piece of paper to make sure I got everyone.

On top of that, we still have so many return to stocks that are missing— meaning GS team is giving orders out and not processing. 🤦‍♀️
Our store has sheet where you write all order pickups when the guest is there and at the end of the night or first thing in morning someone at guest service checks to make sure all orders on the list were processed.

Our store has sheet where you write all order pickups when the guest is there and at the end of the night or first thing in morning someone at guest service checks to make sure all orders on the list were processed.
how many pick ups/drive ups do you normally have? We have 100-350 per day and many are in 2-5 different locations in two different storerooms. We have more drive up's than in store pick ups since the corona virus.

how many pick ups/drive ups do you normally have? We have 100-350 per day and many are in 2-5 different locations in two different storerooms. We have more drive up's than in store pick ups since the corona virus.
We have more drive ups than order pickups. We have one team member who stays outside and just processes orders, 2 or 3 team members pulling the orders and running them outside. We have multiple hold locations we have even been using Starbucks to store big items.

Yes. And guests who don’t select DU are calling the store to request we bring it out anyway.
I've had that happen. If we do, we gotta make sure to educate them how to select DU rather than ISP when they initiate their order at target.com or via the App.

I've had that happen. If we do, we gotta make sure to educate them how to select DU rather than ISP when they initiate their order at target.com or via the App.
Unless things have changed, you can only select drive up when ordering on the app. You don't get the option at Target.com. Everyone who complains that they didn't have the option admits that they booked at Target.com. I tell them to use the app next time if they want drive up.

Do they still beg salesfloor team members to cashier, or is it all about the drive-ups now?? Both??

Back