Service & Engagement Drive Up Time

The whole point of scanning each bag is so you don’t miss any bags. And the color coding idea wouldn’t work. At my store we have 4 preppers and 6 runners and 2 organizers. When there is 100+ bags in our prepped area scanning each bag is extremely important to make sure bags don’t get missed. They should add dots next to each order like how it does with bags except for the hold locations it has. If it has a bag in SD then a white dot with SD in it will pop up. The dots would be next to their name on the open orders page. If it has a bag in MC then it will also have a MC dot. And the third says C/F for cooler/freezer and it will have one if the order has cooler or freezer items. If the order has a item in SD and had a cooler/freezer item then those dots will be white at the start. Because the order doesn’t have MC there won’t be a mc dot. Once a team member scans one of the SD bags then the dot will go from white to red showing a TM is prepping it. Once all the SD bags are scanned by that TM the dot will go from red to yellow showing all the bags have been grabbed from SD for that order. If you personally have scanned all the bags for SD then it will be green. So essentially all the orders will have those circles that look like the bags before you had to scan them.
White: Order is still in hold location
Red: The hold area labeled is being prepared
Yellow: Orders bags in a certain hold area are all scanned by a tm
Green: you have scanned all the bags from that hold location.
The dots would look like the bags do just with SD if it has a bag in the SD hold location. MC if it has a bag in MC etc. Hard to explain but I think would help.

I love this although I am not sure what the difference between yellow and red are or how the pickup app would know the difference.

We don't have enough people to prep and organize and run. Whoever is working DU usually does all 3 tasks. Usually we try to do the prep/organize step ahead of time (depending, of course, on the guest's timing) so we have all of our carts lined up and labeled so they are ready to go.

Same here. Especially after losing 4 GS TMs recently. We are not okay at my store.

The main problem is a lot of the ideas in this thread are great in a perfect world where guests can read, understand, and follow the steps.

80% of them can’t, so it ends up being a panicked rush disaster of people trying to get stuff for the guest with 20 bags in 18 different locations who just showed up without any warning in the middle of a 14 person rush.
Until there’s a fool proof system put in on the guests end to ensure we have the advance warning to prep stuff, most of the ideas in this thread are pointless.

What we really need is an indication in epick where previous bags for an order have been stowed so we can put it there or close. Right now, we have no idea.

A big issue at my store is a lack of space. If I have a large order that's going to take 5 bags, I'm likely going to need 3 hold locations to put it all away. I am not likely to find 3 empty locations in the same 4 foot section, however. We keep adding more hold locations, but we just can't keep up with that.
It used to be like that but we lost that, I think, when Drive-Up went live.

hey so i noticed one of the drive up team members been accepting tips from customers. can he get fired from this? i wanted to say something ot him but he might get caught and blame me later for snitching.

I love this although I am not sure what the difference between yellow and red are or how the pickup app would know the difference.
We have 2 preppers in some of our hold areas so it’s to let you know that the order is in the process of being prepared. This way the runners will know this order is getting ready so they don’t try to grab it not knowing some bags are missing. It also lets the other prepper know this is the order the other prepper is working on. The pickup app would know once a tm scans one bag from that hold area. So once one bag is scanned from that hold area it turns red. Once all the bags are scanned from that area it turns yellow.

The main problem is a lot of the ideas in this thread are great in a perfect world where guests can read, understand, and follow the steps.

80% of them can’t, so it ends up being a panicked rush disaster of people trying to get stuff for the guest with 20 bags in 18 different locations who just showed up without any warning in the middle of a 14 person rush.
Until there’s a fool proof system put in on the guests end to ensure we have the advance warning to prep stuff, most of the ideas in this thread are pointless.
In January the app is going to update. They will add the last name to the screen where the code is. They will also add a system that can detect when people don't say they are on the way. If someone doesn’t say they are on the way the app will explain how to do it in the future and say it will take longer because they didn’t let us know they were on the way.

05E3E8DC-1725-40A3-9582-42D71A53A3C2.jpeg
This is how I think the pickup page should look. On the left are the orders that are on the way. On the right are the orders that are here. Obviously the colors would be different once they had arrived. Here are the color codes

Green= You have all the bags from that hold area scanned.
Yellow= Someone else has all the bags from that hold location scanned. This means the order is prepared.
Red= Someone has one or more of the bags scanned just not all of them from that area. This means the prepper is getting this order ready.
White= None of the bags are scanned meaning it’s still in its hold location.

With this system you can easily see where the preppers are and see what is prepped. Instead of checking every order and every hold location you would just be able to see if someone else had prepped it. You also wouldn’t have to open the order to see if there are bags in your hold area, you would immediately be able to see if the order does and how many and if someone else has grabbed it. The small number under the hold location shows the amount of bags in that hold area. The Spot # shows which spot the car is in. Each spot will be numbered and once the guest arrives they will say what number spot they are in so we know where to bring the order. Instead of having to check every black suv. I think this system would help a lot. What’s your opinion on it?

Last edited:
View attachment 11949
This is how I think the pickup page should look. On the left are the orders that are on the way. On the right are the orders that are here. Obviously the colors would be different once they had arrived. Here are the color codes

Yellow= Someone else has all the bags from that hold location scanned. This means the order is prepared.
Red= Someone has one or more of the bags scanned just not all of them from that area. This means the prepper is getting this order ready.

With this system you can easily see where the preppers are and see what is prepped. Instead of checking every order and every hold location you would just be able to see if someone else had prepped it. You also wouldn’t have to open the order to see if there are bags in your hold area, you would immediately be able to see if the order does and how many and if someone else has grabbed it. The small number under the hold location shows the amount of bags in that hold area. The Spot # shows which spot the car is in. Each spot will be numbered and once the guest arrives they will say what number spot they are in so we know where to bring the order. Instead of having to check every black suv. I think this system would help a lot. What’s your opinion on it?
And then the app will glitch out, and all the scanned bags will have to be rescanned before you can process the order.

View attachment 11949

The guest can’t even tell us they’re on the way. You think they’re going to be able to tell us what number spot they parked in?

What we really need is an indication in epick where previous bags for an order have been stowed so we can put it there or close. Right now, we have no idea.
So much this! When they order 53 items and those items are spread over eight batches, several people might be picking those batches and have no idea there's more to the order.
Until the entire order is complete, it doesn't even show locations for the parts of the order that are done. If I see the same name popping up in different batches, I'll look at all their items in pickup to see if there's anything I picked in a previous batch, and try to remember where I put it. But if someone else picked part of the order, I have no idea where it is until the whole thing is done. When I have time I'll go through and transfer locations to try to condense big orders, but I rarely have time for that. It's just as frustrating for some of us flex TMs as it is for GS.

Not annoying when you guys do that. We have 3 hold areas. Like 3 separate rooms for storing bags. 20% of orders will have a bag in all 3 of the hold rooms. 50% of orders have one or more bags in 2 of our hold rooms. Our OPU team NEVER puts bags by each other. Preppers grab all the bags from there hold area and the organizer keeps track of the 100+ bags connecting orders that are supposed to go together. Does one OPU team member do all of one order or is it split based off where the items are?
Not sure if anyone answered you but orders can be split if the orders are large enough. It happens more often now that the batch sizes are smaller.

The guest can’t even tell us they’re on the way. You think they’re going to be able to tell us what number spot they parked in?
90% of other stores use this method. There are signs like the no parking signs except numbers at each spot and when you say your here you just type in that number. I can guarantee you typing in a number is easier then setting your car description. In the next app update target is also attempting to fix the now saying they are on the way problem.

Too many colors, too many steps for most stores. Especially stores that don’t have separate OPU/DU locations away from GS.
Either way eventually all those stores will be as bad as mine and this system would help keep track of everything. First target needs to fix the system they have now cuz it shouldn’t be crashing.

They don’t proceed with getting their order until they set a number. The geofence location upon arriving is stupid. Guests need to interact with their phone and let us know they are here.

It wasn't bad at all. We had 10 doing drive ups and pick up. After 2 hrs, I was sent to the service desk to cover breaks because they only had 2.

or the handicapped spots
Or parking along the sidewalk in front of the entrance (we only have one). It doesn't help that after our remodel, the sign over the door only has the Target logo and the words "Order Pickup" so between that and a smaller red pole reading "Drive Up", I would understand if the guest went towards the front door.

Also, until recently, we would only have 2 people at GS: 1 for OPU & SD and 1 for DU (prep, organize, run), even during the busy times (we are up to about 16 drive-up spots and about 400-650 orders in the app at a time). Recently, we've gone up to 3 total people at the desk, but often, one of those people would be dealing with re-shop/defectives.

That's...ridiculous. My store has, maybe 8 marked DU spots, and a steady stream of "I have the order for x" (though I don't know how many orders that equates to) and we have at least 4 people in DU and OPU now is part of SFS and they move personnel around based on need.

Last night was supposed to be busier than it was (blizzard) so there were at least 8 people on DU, all clustering and moving around so as to maximize the amount of disruption for anyone trying to get to or behind the service desk. GET OUT OF THE FUCKING WAY IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO.

Back