Service & Engagement Drive Up Time

@mobileFellow

I feel like adding a yellow highlight to picked orders would be simple enough?

We need an idiot proof solution to 'create label' to eliminate ways for TM's to pack 30 bags but still print one barcode. No matter how much we coach about it, it keeps happening. There needs to be some kind of failsafe in the system so TM's can't keep doing it.

ALSO, at least at my store, we have a lot of neighboring stores in the same city. The amount of times that we rush to pull a drive up and they're at the wrong store is more than 10x a day. If they have location services on, can't there be a "are you certain you're at the correct store?" if GPS shows them as not being in the same geolocation? It could also help with guests who spend 30 minutes traveling to 5 different stores and getting pissed off before they finally get to the right one.

These 3 would be my top choices from your list.

#1 the highlight system would be really helpful in those high stress times.

And #2 the geofencing is just not good. Every day I have a handful of orders that we rush to pull only to have them at the wrong store. When grocery is involved, you have to put it all back and then re-pick again.

1) The guest's drive up code screen showing their last name in large letters so we don't have to ask them to roll down their window to ask their name because there are 4 white suv's and none of them bothered to be specific. This happens MULTIPLE times each day, and kinda defeats the point of contact-less delivery.

this is being added next month-ish, it’s in the january planner

And to add: certain people just aren’t cut out to do drive ups (get too overwhelmed, can’t multitask, etc.) and I don’t think that makes them horrible. People have strengths in different areas. My ETL tries so hard to fit into modernization that everyone goes everywhere and it’s a mess. Some people are great cashiers, but not GS and some people can run all 8 SCOs like no one’s business, but can’t remember the return policy enough to do GS and some people just can’t do drive ups when it starts to get busy. Also, some people just don’t care about how they perform or doing well, but ya know.

I notice most of our issues at GS/ DU are just wrong personnel choices. Either people who get too overwhelmed or people that are lazy/ not very team oriented, so there is no communication and like 1-2 tms pulling the weight of all.
This all boils down to modernization and having everyone crossed trained at the front. Yes, in theory it works, but some people are not cut out for certain positions not matter how much they are trained.

I made FOS locations for our carts (since MC is taken...) so TMs can transfer hold to the carts. Don't always have time to, but sometimes it's useful.

Front end morale is laughable at this point. Our one TL is literally the worst. We all hate her with a passion because condescending, rude, and just doesn’t help. We all got pulled into single meetings with our ETL where we were asked about what is and isn’t working and what suggestions we have and then all our notes were just completely ignored. We all mentioned peak time coverage, which we still do not have... and it’s actually gotten worse. Our average DU time will finish the year at almost 3 minutes... can’t imagine there are many stores worse than ours in that regard.
Ours will probably end up being 3:55 if not worse. We got absolutely destroyed by driveups in the past few days. We were able to manage before this but now the devices are slow and many other problems. We are also in the top 5 busiest stores in the country. We literally have 5 GSTLs. We call for help but never get a response. We have 40 spots for a reason. Only problem is with 40 spots means 40 cars and there are a lot of black suvs. Each spot should be labeled and once the guest arrives they should say what spot they are in. Biggest waste of time typing in 15 codes trying to find the right guest. If the person has there car set to grey SUV or just SUV or other we don’t even try. Not worth our time to try to find one guest when we have 39 others waiting. The system is poorly designed. Randomly crashes and can’t handle the amount of orders even. You should be able to set a orders location once it’s prepped or something. Searching through 120+ bags trying to find one specific one is a waste of time and inefficient. The system is designed for a max of 5 orders not 80. Organization is impossible with 80 orders. Half the orders have bags from all 3 of our hold locations which means we have to find not just the order but all 3 parts of the order.

I think part of the problem is how the Fulfillment batches are created. It literally makes no sense to me that one order can have items in 3 different hold locations. Tiny little bags in multiple locations. Couldn't they have all been lumped together? If not in one bag, at least in the same location?

I think part of the problem is how the Fulfillment batches are created. It literally makes no sense to me that one order can have items in 3 different hold locations. Tiny little bags in multiple locations. Couldn't they have all been lumped together? If not in one bag, at least in the same location?
this is a fulfillment team problem. you can bag shit wherever and however you want, but because fulfillment team members have carte blanche to do it that way they can do it in ways that are absolute shit and make no sense :]

Three bags, three locations cause GS(in my store) won't pull all three if they are in the same location.

Also three orders could have been placed at different times, when the guest shows up it pops all orders for pick up so they could have done three tiny orders and all picked at different times so different locations. I know I have done multiple orders on the same day. Forget something and just do another order. Also larger orders get broke up and picked in multiple batches so different pickers so different locations.

Also larger orders get broke up and picked in multiple batches so different pickers so different locations.

This must be what is happening. They are all separate locations in the same order. So if there are 2 or 3 different orders there can be 6-10 hold locations. It's ridiculous really.

This must be what is happening. They are all separate locations in the same order. So if there are 2 or 3 different orders there can be 6-10 hold locations. It's ridiculous really.

What we really need is an indication in epick where previous bags for an order have been stowed so we can put it there or close. Right now, we have no idea.

A big issue at my store is a lack of space. If I have a large order that's going to take 5 bags, I'm likely going to need 3 hold locations to put it all away. I am not likely to find 3 empty locations in the same 4 foot section, however. We keep adding more hold locations, but we just can't keep up with that.

I have seen it happen, I am picking one part of the order and grab a label on the printer and my co-worker says "hey that is my label!" and we have to look at numbers to see who that label is for. We when we catch it try to put orders close to each other but sometimes not possible or we don't even know. And when I do multiple hold locations they are all going to be next to each other. Sucks I have to do it that way but it's the only way I found to make GS pull every bag. Our GSTL's have given blessing since they know not pulling all the bags is a huge issue at our store.

I made FOS locations for our carts (since MC is taken...) so TMs can transfer hold to the carts. Don't always have time to, but sometimes it's useful.
I was thinking about suggesting this since DU has their own 3-tiers.since our MC area is no longer labeled as MC, I just don’t know how effective it would be everytime, you know. Large sign zip-tied to cart—MobileCart A (A001, A002, A003–each labeled “tier”) MobileCart B (B001, B002, B003) etc.

I thought about doing tiered locations like a cart, but I ended up just doing A001 for one cart, B001 for the next, etc. And then I made my own version of the Staging Cards (I don't have time to order those, why didn't you just send them, Target) that we stick the order stickers to - they have spots for top/middle/bottom. I should probably redo those because I also requisitioned hooks that we attached to the carts to hang bags off of and there's no "left hook/right hook" spots on the staging card.

A TM had a great idea along the lines of highlighting orders. If every TM logged in to DU, they are given a specific color that is their for the whole shift. Once they start an order it is color coded as such.

Another request is to have all orders scanned across all zebras so if one TM can’t take out the order, it’s already to go on another zebra. Would be especially helpful for those large orders.

What we really need is an indication in epick where previous bags for an order have been stowed so we can put it there or close. Right now, we have no idea.

A big issue at my store is a lack of space. If I have a large order that's going to take 5 bags, I'm likely going to need 3 hold locations to put it all away. I am not likely to find 3 empty locations in the same 4 foot section, however. We keep adding more hold locations, but we just can't keep up with that.

We had an OPU remodel 2 years ago and this year had to quadruple our hold space with floating walls and taking over Starbucks seating. It's still not enough this week or next. We had 500 orders on hold last weekend, eight parking spots, over 20 cars waiting all day.

They recently changed how the orders are batched so it limits a batch to 3 orders or like 20 dpci's, we can't currently see if an order gets split between batches where it was put, but at my store we kinda don't have space to do so or with grocery we have a bunch of food safety stuff we have to adhere to or else we will get fined as my store has been when ecolab comes. Good luck trying to get fulfillment to do anything in unision right now, but maybe once it slows down in January and all the seasonals that don't give a crap will be gone and people can take time to tell people how to properly do things.

Three bags, three locations cause GS(in my store) won't pull all three if they are in the same location.

Also three orders could have been placed at different times, when the guest shows up it pops all orders for pick up so they could have done three tiny orders and all picked at different times so different locations. I know I have done multiple orders on the same day. Forget something and just do another order. Also larger orders get broke up and picked in multiple batches so different pickers so different locations.
Other than a guest placing multiple orders at different times, if its all one order and ur gs has a habit of not pulling all the bags from one location. Then why not put them in the neighboring holds, ie mcf9, mcf10,and mcf11. I never understood 1 bag in the A then U and T.. all the same order.

Other than a guest placing multiple orders at different times, if its all one order and ur gs has a habit of not pulling all the bags from one location. Then why not put them in the neighboring holds, ie mcf9, mcf10,and mcf11. I never understood 1 bag in the A then U and T.. all the same order.
I do, say four Waco's on the shelf, each one will get one bag of a multi bag order or at the least try to keep in the same section. Three tiny bags in three really separate locations, I have to assume they were separate orders at different times.. The other way you get separate bags in really separate locations is that the order was broken between pickers/batches and neither knew the other had the same order.. And you also get the "out of space" issue and you just jam it in where you have room, some people are better than others at making things neater to make things fit to keep them close.

I do, say four Waco's on the shelf, each one will get one bag of a multi bag order or at the least try to keep in the same section. Three tiny bags in three really separate locations, I have to assume they were separate orders at different times.. The other way you get separate bags in really separate locations is that the order was broken between pickers/batches and neither knew the other had the same order.. And you also get the "out of space" issue and you just jam it in where you have room, some people are better than others at making things neater to make things fit to keep them close.
What i would give to have you at my store. Here i have caught people.. mainly 2..putting heavy item s(cases of water big tubs of kitty litter a bag filled with 5 2liter sodas) on the top shelves. Bags with no labels in the wrong location. Or one of my favorites forgetting to bag an order and leaving it on a 3 tier. I use to love gs, but with all of the du issues the biggest one being the 2 min timer. I now am eyeing that register with envy.

Yes, I wish it would tell us this. If a big order comes in and I know it's being split between me and another TM, I try to coordinate with them regarding where we want to put the order, but that doesn't always happen. And unless you open Pickup before you stow each order, you won't know if the guest placed multiple orders prior (I do try to look at Pickup when I'm picking just to see if a big item is a DU or not).

Your other point is so true, too. I try to put as much as I can behind GS to help front end, but then if it's an order that requires multiple bags, like you said, it can be more annoying to have one bag in SDA002, one in SDB012, one in SDC004, etc. Can't win.

A TM had a great idea along the lines of highlighting orders. If every TM logged in to DU, they are given a specific color that is their for the whole shift. Once they start an order it is color coded as such.

Another request is to have all orders scanned across all zebras so if one TM can’t take out the order, it’s already to go on another zebra. Would be especially helpful for those large orders.
The whole point of scanning each bag is so you don’t miss any bags. And the color coding idea wouldn’t work. At my store we have 4 preppers and 6 runners and 2 organizers. When there is 100+ bags in our prepped area scanning each bag is extremely important to make sure bags don’t get missed. They should add dots next to each order like how it does with bags except for the hold locations it has. If it has a bag in SD then a white dot with SD in it will pop up. The dots would be next to their name on the open orders page. If it has a bag in MC then it will also have a MC dot. And the third says C/F for cooler/freezer and it will have one if the order has cooler or freezer items. If the order has a item in SD and had a cooler/freezer item then those dots will be white at the start. Because the order doesn’t have MC there won’t be a mc dot. Once a team member scans one of the SD bags then the dot will go from white to red showing a TM is prepping it. Once all the SD bags are scanned by that TM the dot will go from red to yellow showing all the bags have been grabbed from SD for that order. If you personally have scanned all the bags for SD then it will be green. So essentially all the orders will have those circles that look like the bags before you had to scan them.
White: Order is still in hold location
Red: The hold area labeled is being prepared
Yellow: Orders bags in a certain hold area are all scanned by a tm
Green: you have scanned all the bags from that hold location.
The dots would look like the bags do just with SD if it has a bag in the SD hold location. MC if it has a bag in MC etc. Hard to explain but I think would help.

Yes, I wish it would tell us this. If a big order comes in and I know it's being split between me and another TM, I try to coordinate with them regarding where we want to put the order, but that doesn't always happen. And unless you open Pickup before you stow each order, you won't know if the guest placed multiple orders prior (I do try to look at Pickup when I'm picking just to see if a big item is a DU or not).

Your other point is so true, too. I try to put as much as I can behind GS to help front end, but then if it's an order that requires multiple bags, like you said, it can be more annoying to have one bag in SDA002, one in SDB012, one in SDC004, etc. Can't win.
Not annoying when you guys do that. We have 3 hold areas. Like 3 separate rooms for storing bags. 20% of orders will have a bag in all 3 of the hold rooms. 50% of orders have one or more bags in 2 of our hold rooms. Our OPU team NEVER puts bags by each other. Preppers grab all the bags from there hold area and the organizer keeps track of the 100+ bags connecting orders that are supposed to go together. Does one OPU team member do all of one order or is it split based off where the items are?

We don't have enough people to prep and organize and run. Whoever is working DU usually does all 3 tasks. Usually we try to do the prep/organize step ahead of time (depending, of course, on the guest's timing) so we have all of our carts lined up and labeled so they are ready to go.

Back