Service & Engagement Drive Up Time

I HEAR YOU ON THIS! Look at the 4-6:30 window of time and schedule accordingly. It is an absolute nightmare with shift changes and breaks/lunches happening at that time and only 2 people? And still expected to make a 2 minute goal? What???? No ETLs ever help us. We are completely on our own. Front end always is. It sucks sometimes.

I'm in fulfillment not guest service, but my store ranges from 600 to 1200 orders and I think our drive-up time stays around 2:30 and we have like 3-8 people on drive-up at any given time. Target can eat this stupid metric because drive-up is insanely busy rn and allowing a guest to change an OPU to drive-up means that they might have to fitting room or walk to the other side of the store to our cafe hold space for any given order.

At least my store is pretty smart with the scheduling. We have one person come in 15 minutes before the store opens so they are ready to go for those guests who always arrive right at open. The next person comes in at 8 so the first person can take a break. A third person comes in at 10 or 11 to help with the noon rush. Then the army starts trickling in throughout the afternoon. By the time the after school/work rush starts we're very well covered.

Granted, it took a lot of time to get there. Our SETLs had to constantly go to HR to show them the metrics, when we were missing goal time, and jam it through HR's thick skull.

At least my store is pretty smart with the scheduling. We have one person come in 15 minutes before the store opens so they are ready to go for those guests who always arrive right at open. The next person comes in at 8 so the first person can take a break. A third person comes in at 10 or 11 to help with the noon rush. Then the army starts trickling in throughout the afternoon. By the time the after school/work rush starts we're very well covered.

Granted, it took a lot of time to get there. Our SETLs had to constantly go to HR to show them the metrics, when we were missing goal time, and jam it through HR's thick skull.
Yeah we have so much information to use. It tells you when most opu orders get dropped throughout the day on average, when most orders come get picked up, we get our sfs forecasts weeks in advance, hiw some people domt use this information for scheduling is beyond me. We are sup 1:30 nearly everyday unless there are call outs or something to that nature. Very very rarely over 2 minutes. I'm just the sfs tl so i dont really know what they do but they seem to have it down at my store. Worst part is that the tms are probably the ones getting blamed for bad scores 🙃

funny thing is my ETL always claims that they are too busy to help because they are “looking at data” and in the office, but we still don’t have coverage during peak times. it’s something i personally went and had a conversation with them about because it was consistently an issue. my one TL and I went over this together and I know the data is able to be found and backs up what I say.

there is some pettiness with stacking the morning because SD is in and my ETL is there, so it looks good and then all hell breaks loose around 4 when they go home. some days we’ll have a 7-2, 8-1, 9-4, then i’d be 1-9:30 or like 12:30-9. maybe a 4-11 comes in, but a lot of times it will be two 5-11s or a 6-11. one time we had four people come in to do 5 to close (at GS!!!) and my ETL was so shook when I was like “wtf kind of schedule is this... i’m alone (TL was on back up with me) from 3:30- 5 and then a whole team of people come in.

Over 600 orders total, so our hold areas are overflowing. We have so much in the backroom, which we have to go run and grab ourselves, which obviously kills the time.

For 2 hours straight (4:30-6:30), we had at least 12 guest arrived and 10 arriving, but half our guests didn’t even give a notice. At one point we had 21 people arrived and not enough drive up parking spots. There was only 2 of us doing drive ups during this time with one at the incredibly long line at the desk. The 2 of us taking out were also the ones pulling the orders because so short-staffed.

During the morning/ afternoon, they had 5 people total at GS with 3 on drive ups/ 2 at the desk and the drive up time was like 2:50, which I don’t know how it was that bad with both TLs in the building and our ETL around. So at least me and the other kid can’t be the ones to blame when the morning, which actually had proper/ decent staffing had the time so high already. Around 4 to 6:30 is usually our peak time, but we do NOT schedule like it is at all.
Talk to your ETL you need to expand. We have 3 OPU rooms that can each hold 500 orders and 3 secondary hold locations for bigger items just so we don’t have to go to the back room. Obviously we still do have items in the back room just not as many. Our store has enough hold space for 1500 orders. Right now we only have 1000 though.

Our time is pretty bad, but don't think quite this bad. It's rarely under 2 minutes though unless we have our best TM's doing it all day.
For my store our du parking is pretty far from the door. So our time is under the 2 min mark till 4 pm, and that's when it goes in the crapper. We will get a symphony of honks all at once. And of course it's the people with 4 bottle waters and 5÷ bags of crap in different locations who never gives you warning that they're on the way to pull everything. Also, these are the same people that park in the last du parking space who never. have the code ready so they need to go back in the app (eating up 4 sec- 1 min.) It would be great if there was a mandatory 5 min wait time from " on the way" to " I'm here." Or made an option to stop the count for the people who say they're here, but they're not. But no, that will never happen.

The front end team, especially people are guest services and Drive Up, have been miserable for the past two months. We are too busy and don’t have enough people and no one backs up when we call for help. We all want to quit. It’s so bad that our leaders have refused to listen to us when we say that what we are trying to do is not sustainable. And getting upset that our Drive Up time isn’t under 2 minutes or that guest services is a mess doesn’t help morale. I’m just venting and feeling under appreciated. I know I’m not alone and most team members in my store feel the same way. It could be COVID, Q4, retail, guests, the holidays, or leadership or all of the above. I’ll take myself to the depression thread now.

I was in tears tonight. I was the only runner tonight from 5-6 and it was absolutely pouring and cold. Someone (looking at you TL) took the only rain coat in my size (and never brought it back) so I was sweating in my winter coat. I was soaked. I made $15 in tips though. I didn't even politely decline this time 😂 .

I was in tears tonight. I was the only runner tonight from 5-6 and it was absolutely pouring and cold. Someone (looking at you TL) took the only rain coat in my size (and never brought it back) so I was sweating in my winter coat. I was soaked. I made $15 in tips though. I didn't even politely decline this time 😂 .
no umbrella? :(

Our last one got broken when someone decided we should have a TM walk guests to their car when it was raining.

No raincoat, not doing Drive Up without an umbrella. May not have helped much if it was raining that heavily, but it's the principal.

I wouldn't rely on the store to provide what I need. I'd probably buy myself a nice fancy raincoat and I always have a ton of umbrellas.

That is when you jump on the radio and call for an ETL to requisition you new dry clothes.. Why did I get soaked, well all the rain jackets are gone.

Front end morale is laughable at this point. Our one TL is literally the worst. We all hate her with a passion because condescending, rude, and just doesn’t help. We all got pulled into single meetings with our ETL where we were asked about what is and isn’t working and what suggestions we have and then all our notes were just completely ignored. We all mentioned peak time coverage, which we still do not have... and it’s actually gotten worse. Our average DU time will finish the year at almost 3 minutes... can’t imagine there are many stores worse than ours in that regard.

And to add: certain people just aren’t cut out to do drive ups (get too overwhelmed, can’t multitask, etc.) and I don’t think that makes them horrible. People have strengths in different areas. My ETL tries so hard to fit into modernization that everyone goes everywhere and it’s a mess. Some people are great cashiers, but not GS and some people can run all 8 SCOs like no one’s business, but can’t remember the return policy enough to do GS and some people just can’t do drive ups when it starts to get busy. Also, some people just don’t care about how they perform or doing well, but ya know.

I notice most of our issues at GS/ DU are just wrong personnel choices. Either people who get too overwhelmed or people that are lazy/ not very team oriented, so there is no communication and like 1-2 tms pulling the weight of all.

Our average DU time will finish the year at almost 3 minutes... can’t imagine there are many stores worse than ours in that regard

Sucks to be your ETL who will have to answer for that. They can blame others all they want, but when it's a consistent problem, it's their problem.

We have 1400 orders right now. We have 64 total drive ups here or on the way. 40 which are here. Longest wait time is 40 minutes. We have 6 people on drive ups. Target needs to fix there shit. OPU is calling everyone for help on orders. Want to know something interesting. All those orders the service desk has to deal with. If OPU gets behind then that means within the next 2-6 hours service desk will get behind because all those people have to get there orders. Doesn’t make sense that 6 people are on drive ups, there should be 15 people on drive ups. We have 9 people at our service desk. We are getting absolutely destroyed right now. We don’t mess up orders tho. Have had 2 missed bags in the last 4 days. It’s also cold and snowing outside. We have 3 hold locations. Absolute kiosk. Target needs to fix there shit. When we call for help we get nothing no response. If anyone calls for help anywhere else they always get a response. According to the training if I remember correct in this temperature nobody should be outside for more then 15 minutes. It takes 20 minutes to find some orders. When you have 40 drive up spots it’s hard to find a grey suv or a white sedan. Some people don’t even say what type of car they have like how the hell do you expect us to find a person when there is 40 cars? Are we supposed to try 40 codes? Absolute hell. Cooperate if you are seeing this fix the fucking app. Give each spot a number then when the person arrives have them say the number spot so we know exactly where they are. It’s not that hard.

40 spots? 9 people at GS?3 hold areas? There is only one store in my area that has this kind of business and it is one of the top Targets in the country.

But I agree about fixing the parameters. Numbered parking spots is a great idea. And also rhave some time between beep-beep and honk-honk if they literally are at the same time.

40 spots? 9 people at GS?3 hold areas? There is only one store in my area that has this kind of business and it is one of the top Targets in the country.

But I agree about fixing the parameters. Numbered parking spots is a great idea. And also rhave some time between beep-beep and honk-honk if they literally are at the same time.

I have said that since we got drive up that there should be a minimum of a 2min buffer between when you can say you are leaving and arriving at the store. The guest should get a pop up that says "Too Soon, five minutes until store is notified of your arrival, TM's are gathering your order." And lock them out of trying it again until the five minutes has elapsed.

@mobileFellow Is there any way to speed run a fix on this app?? I know it's a lot to ask, but if within the week we could AT LEAST get one of either:

1) The guest's drive up code screen showing their last name in large letters so we don't have to ask them to roll down their window to ask their name because there are 4 white suv's and none of them bothered to be specific. This happens MULTIPLE times each day, and kinda defeats the point of contact-less delivery.

2) I would take one of either a) the app being more responsive, so when I click into the order that just dinged in I don't have to stand in the flex room for a minute and a half waiting for it to load and tell me what location it's in. OR b) have like a highlight function or something that goes across devices so when 10 of us are pulling drive ups, we're not all screaming back and forth to see who has pulled what. Example:

Bob Smith clicks that they're on the way. TM1 starts pulling the order, but Gina Banina, Rob Base, and Ice Creamsundae all drop in at the same time. The device clicks for everyone, and now you have 3 team members trying to pull Rob Base. In the meantime, He Tamiser honks because they just showed up and didn't tell us they were coming. Now there are 5 orders, and no one knows what has been pulled and what hasn't. Heaven forbid someone comes in from a drive up and sees there are 5 waiting. Now they're running around trying to find items that have already been picked. Sure, communication could be better, but you're working with general public here. If you expect critical thinking, you're going to be severely disappointed 8 times out of 10.

I feel like adding a yellow highlight to picked orders would be simple enough?

Other things that need to be fixed eventually:

1) In the backroom, we scan the location and then scan the items in that location. Can't we have a similar system with flex? We already have the bag labels. If we get something like this, it'll probably be easier to track who is locating their flex picks poorly. Important to note that I'm not saying for us to scan EVERY ITEM, but just the bag barcode. Space restricted stores are tripling and quadrupling up on orders in one location, and a system like we use in the backroom could be a little more efficient.

2) We need an idiot proof solution to 'create label' to eliminate ways for TM's to pack 30 bags but still print one barcode. No matter how much we coach about it, it keeps happening. There needs to be some kind of failsafe in the system so TM's can't keep doing it.

3) Maybe an option to scan items into a staging cart location after they have been removed from the hold location?

The pickup app is just waaaay too slow for what we need it to do. That's problem number 1.

ALSO, at least at my store, we have a lot of neighboring stores in the same city. The amount of times that we rush to pull a drive up and they're at the wrong store is more than 10x a day. If they have location services on, can't there be a "are you certain you're at the correct store?" if GPS shows them as not being in the same geolocation? It could also help with guests who spend 30 minutes traveling to 5 different stores and getting pissed off before they finally get to the right one.

Those are the fixable problems.

Back