Archived Educational Leave of Absence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there, I recently got a job at Target for Backroom Day. My orientation was today 8/5/13. I was not able to get a job earlier because of a long vacation in July. Anyways, the next two weeks I'll be training. The issue is that my move in day back to college is 8/24/13. When should I tell them I won't be available at and after that date? Will they grant me an educational leave of absence? I really hope so because I want this job for the winter and next summer.

You have to be over 90 days in order to eligible for LOA. If you tell them you are dropping your availability completely, heading to school and your under 90 days, there is a good chance they will cut you for probationary reasons.

Stores generally work with school schedules if you are staying within the area.

If you quit and put on re-hire status, you will have to wait a period of time before you can apply for the same or another store.

Last edited:
Aww man that's some horrible news. I wouldn't have applied if I knew this. However I did put on my application the city where my college is which is 2 hours away and they still hired me which is strange. Another strange note is that the guy who interviewed me also went to the same school I did so he had to know that I wouldn't be able to work during the school year. I also said that I want to work during the winters and summers during the interviews. Is there any chance that they can give me the LOA even though I'm not eligible? I'll be trained by the time I leave, it'll be easier for them to bring me back than to hire someone else to train for the holiday season, no?

Welcome to Target!

I would talk with you ETL-HR about your situation - they may not want to lose you. Don't give up hope yet!

Greetings and salutations.
Welcome to The Break Room.
As the others have said, give it a shot for talking to the HR ETL.
You never know.

You might get away with staying on just for weekends or limited availablity. If you are just 2hr away, then you can put in for unpaid vacation leave for 1-2 weeks. Then come back for 1 weekend.

It all depends on your store and how friendly and accommodating they are.

Alright, my first actual day is Wednesday, I'll talk to her then. She's a very nice lady, hopefully she let's me keep the job! buliSBI, I don't think that's possible. School comes first for me and I need all the time I can get to study. I'm taking orgo, anatomy and microbio. :(

Last edited:
If anyone was wondering what the outcome was, it was as follows. They are going to put me on rehire status, the job is not guaranteed when I ask to come back but because I've been a good worker so far the HR ETL was very confident that I would be able to come back during the winter and next summer.

If anyone was wondering what the outcome was, it was as follows. They are going to put me on rehire status, the job is not guaranteed when I ask to come back but because I've been a good worker so far the HR ETL was very confident that I would be able to come back during the winter and next summer.
Yes! Less training.

Yes! Less training.

Hmm.. 19 days of working at Target is not much. Since he'll be away for 4 months or so. They'll probably need to retrain him anyways.

I hate to be negative but I think your availability is too bad for them to want to rehire you again. I mean you just got the job and your already asking for LOA. Like you said, your HR is a nice person... so she's probably saying you have a good chance to give you some hope when ya probably don't. :T

Well.. Good luck with school.

Yes! Less training.

Hmm.. 19 days of working at Target is not much. Since he'll be away for 4 months or so. They'll probably need to retrain him anyways.

I hate to be negative but I think your availability is too bad for them to want to rehire you again. I mean you just got the job and your already asking for LOA. Like you said, your HR is a nice person... so she's probably saying you have a good chance to give you some hope when ya probably don't. :T

Well.. Good luck with school.

I'm already good friends with the team leaders and they're gonna put in good word to get me back (1 of them goes to the same school as me so we hit it off). 95% chance I'll be back and if not it wasn't meant to be. Also, retrain me? I'm not an idiot. And yea my availability is bad... during the school semesters but during the winters and summers I could work 80 hours if I had too and they know that. It's call a "seasonal position" smh. Also yea I asked to go study, what the hell am I supposed to do? There's no target near my campus and sophomores aren't even allowed cars. Why can't people be genuinely nice? If she says my chances are good, my chances are good. Btw, go spread your negativity somewhere else cause no one needs it around here.

I wasn't being negative. To clarify, when you came back to spot. They would give you, a PDA & name badge. Then, give 5 minute refresher to you for back room., start work from there.

I'm going through a similar situation.I began working at Target in late June and I start classes August 28th. My 90 day period ends on September 24th. I will be available again in mid December and January. I wanted to work during the school year because my school is about 20 minutes away from Target and I can drive to work. I told my team leader about this and she said to change my availability. However, my availability change request was denied by another leader because of the 90 day period. I hope they put me on rehire status,they're nice to me but I can't tell if they actually like me there.

I wasn't being negative. To clarify, when you came back to spot. They would give you, a PDA & name badge. Then, give 5 minute refresher to you for back room., start work from there.
I think they were referring to yoshigonemad.

I'm going through a similar situation.I began working at Target in late June and I start classes August 28th. My 90 day period ends on September 24th. I will be available again in mid December and January. I wanted to work during the school year because my school is about 20 minutes away from Target and I can drive to work. I told my team leader about this and she said to change my availability. However, my availability change request was denied by another leader because of the 90 day period. I hope they put me on rehire status,they're nice to me but I can't tell if they actually like me there.

School is one of the few reasons they allow availability changes within your first 90 days, so they should approve it. If you haven't already put in your two weeks, talk to your ETL and HR about it and explain that it's because of school and you're still able to work some hours (albeit reduced).

I didn't think they had to approve any changes to availability in the first 90 days of employment. When you were hired, you signed something stating that you would be available for the stated times for 90 days.

A personal emergency, I understand. You knew you were going to school. I never understand the people who get hired in July and August, say they have open availability, work for a month, then all of a sudden say they're going to school and need to change it...you don't remember what you signed? I know my store made it very clear how it worked. If you have to go to school and you're within your 90 days, you're getting termed, and it's up to the ETL HR to determine whether or not you can come back...but I don't see why they would have you come back, considering you'll be working another two months and then going back to school again, and will again not be eligible for an educational LOA.

When I was hired in mid-June last year, I was very clear during my interview that I would need to change my availability when school started. They were fine with that...but I was very upfront. A LOA or not being upfront about school will sink you.

When I was hired in mid-June last year, I was very clear during my interview that I would need to change my availability when school started. They were fine with that...but I was very upfront. A LOA or not being upfront about school will sink you.

Good point, if you're honest with them from the beginning and they still hire you, you should be fine.

Sorry in advance for necroing this thread.

I was considering opening a new thread but this one is crazily similar to my situation.
If the OP is still around or anyone else that has some advice, I would be grateful.

Concerning this, can anyone explain what a rehire status is? Am i reading way into this or is it just the normal procedure of reapplying?

Yes! Less training.

About this one, Hardlinesmaster said less training. Can someone explain this to me? Does this mean we will have more shifts to work because of less training? I ask this because I too, really want to return to my Target whenever I come back from college ( breaks; spring, winter, summer) but for the spring and winter breaks they last about a month or so. And if it is parallel to my current summer break, the process ( application, interview, training, orientation) takes nearly two to three weeks. I would be left with a week or so of actual work before i head back to college.

I really want to stay with Target and i was considering working at Target for 4 years at the bare minimum. However if i plan to work 3 periods in a year for 4 years, the basic math would come out to 12 times that i would have to apply. The thought of this just saddens me and I really hope there is a way for me to continue.

The good news is, Target holds people working for a degree in higher regard than people who have already graduated with theirs, so you have that.

Concerning this, can anyone explain what a rehire status is? Am i reading way into this or is it just the normal procedure of reapplying?

It just means that you're re-hireable. Meaning you didn't give them a reason not to hire you back.

Yes! Less training.

About this one, Hardlinesmaster said less training. Can someone explain this to me? Does this mean we will have more shifts to work because of less training? I ask this because I too, really want to return to my Target whenever I come back from college ( breaks; spring, winter, summer) but for the spring and winter breaks they last about a month or so. And if it is parallel to my current summer break, the process ( application, interview, training, orientation) takes nearly two to three weeks. I would be left with a week or so of actual work before i head back to college.

I really want to stay with Target and i was considering working at Target for 4 years at the bare minimum. However if i plan to work 3 periods in a year for 4 years, the basic math would come out to 12 times that i would have to apply. The thought of this just saddens me and I really hope there is a way for me to continue.

Less training means that you wouldn't have to be trained upon being re-hired. Since you would already be familiar with the job, you wouldn't need to go through the whole nine yards.

Why not just go on educational LOA instead of quitting and re-applying several times?

Sorry in advance for necroing this thread.

I was considering opening a new thread but this one is crazily similar to my situation.
If the OP is still around or anyone else that has some advice, I would be grateful.

Yes! Less training.

Hey whatsup Oceanlight,
What happened to me was that I didn't come back during winter break because I would have to do orientation all over again and training. So what ended up happening was as follows: I reapplied at the beginning of summer and got the job again on May 20th. I meet my 90 days on the 18th and leave for school on the 23rd. I will be coming back for Thanksgiving and Winter coming off a Educational leave of Absence. If you have anymore questions just hit me up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back