Archived Electronic Label Strips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been a photo of a store with the label strips on our signing PC for a few weeks now. Wonder who put it on. Anyway, if you search sharepoint for "electronic label strips" and sort through the garbage you'll find an interesting PowerPoint about it including scheduled roll-outs (I think 2016 was when every store was supposed to have these? Could be misremembering though).

As far as I know there is no official rollout date. There are a few "pilot" stores in the home market, but I know Spot is battling technology. I.E. the technology is still being developed and goes out of date fairly quickly. This would be the largest rollout in Spot's history. Yes, more expensive than Pfresh. All gondolas have to have power and an access point. Ouch. The strips are also expensive. This really is an up and coming technology, so if some other company will get the kinks worked out, Spot can save a few bills. That's what I know. Straight from the horses mouth. Don't hold your breath on not having to wake up Sunday mornings to fight paper cuts and laser dust. Cracked hands FTW!

As far as I know there is no official rollout date. There are a few "pilot" stores in the home market, but I know Spot is battling technology. I.E. the technology is still being developed and goes out of date fairly quickly. This would be the largest rollout in Spot's history. Yes, more expensive than Pfresh. All gondolas have to have power and an access point. Ouch. The strips are also expensive. This really is an up and coming technology, so if some other company will get the kinks worked out, Spot can save a few bills. That's what I know. Straight from the horses mouth. Don't hold your breath on not having to wake up Sunday mornings to fight paper cuts and laser dust. Cracked hands FTW!

Not entirely true. The labels run on button batteries and have the same e-paper screen as a Kindle so they only consume power when the display is being refreshed. They are updated via infrared domes in the ceiling (that part would definitely get expensive, I think the store had them every 6 ceiling tiles or so. There are like 10-12 for every 1 WiFi access point in the store. Also the label strip holders are all different to accommodate the displays.

Here is the exact brand that was in the store: http://www.pricer.com/en/Solutions/Electronic-Shelf-Label-System/

FS, that seems like a much better solution. I actually have not seen Target test that system. The test I saw involved running low voltage to all gondolas. The gondolas had a centralized panel where you could plug in the strips and low voltage displays/signs (also a test).

as mentioned, they're testing this now. last year was a test in what? 1-10, or 10-30 stores? next year i think is 100 test stores. then if that goes well the rollout will be somewhere around 2 years to go company wide in 2018. or something. that math is off. but anyway - there is a big package about it somewhere on workbench detailing potential cost-savings over time. the current "fast sign" program has been deemed "end of life" and they are looking to upgrade. they've been using one of the test stores with the electronic label strips in Message Board images lately, so you will see them pop up there from time to time.

Anyone know if there are any of these test stores in the Chicagoland area? I'd love to meander over to one of them and check it out.

How does the electronic strips work with flexing and whatnot? In pFresh, we are VERY flex-happy when stuff gets cut so we don't look empty.

Roll-out won't be until later after all the Baby/Club Wed kiosks are removed from all stores in 2015, IF it ever happened.

**Edit: The store that has them is a one-time deal currently, and will likely remain the only store in the company to continue having them for years to come depending on how the budget fairs. But so far, results have been promising.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back