Archived End of my rope

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBear

Don't let me talk
I think I'm gonna lose it with my ETL. I've been on a slight hot streak thanks to a BRTL who's been giving ACTUAL DEVELOPMENT, MY GOD, and encouraging me and the rest of the GSAs to make decisions instead of letting things sit around. It's been a good feeling and it's nice feeling accomplished. I just finished a huge shift with him as LOD most of the time and we were down a cashier and we tried some things to make do without and it wasn't entirely successful but tasks got done and I think my brain got fried.

Then this ETL comes in as closing LOD and when I'm handing off with the closing GSA, I go over schedule by five minutes. They clock in on time, I bust in there, pass keys, give a run down of everything (and kind of surprise myself at the list), and then spend a minute showing them how to print sale signs for new things that got put up today (because none of our other GSAs actually got trained while the store burned training hours with our GSTL and another GSA who no longer works with us). Five minutes. Then my ETL sees me clocking out and goes "See! You need to write stuff down, you just went over by five minutes!"

Like, wow, okay, yes, fine, guilty. Sorry I spent time doing tasks instead of standing at the service desk taking notes. If I had done that, I'd have been chewed out for standing around doing nothing while it was busy. My service desk was already throwing shit my way for staying out of the way and trying to actually speedweave instead of hopping on a lane, but at least I wasn't ducking behind the return desk.

I don't know. There's no winning. Working with this BRTL has made me realize just how boned this front end is because of the leadership who doesn't develop and just sees things to nitpick at. I've also been tasked with sending back broken myDevices and once got asked to order supplies before this ETL learned that I can't order because I'm not a team lead. But -- maybe I'm wrong -- the myDevices thing is also sort of an ETL/GSTL responsibility, right? Everything's just been passed down to me because our GSTL can't get anything done. I probably make the least among all of the GSAs despite having a year's lead on experience.

I've been very tempted to demand a raise and to put in my two weeks before the holiday starts if they say no. I suspect that I'll be denied because of going five minutes over, or because I didn't come in to cover our GSTL leaving early the other day (I already covered their NCNS a few days prior, mind you), or any other sort of frivolous reason. They can have their store, if that's the case.

I'm so tired. I'm probably totally in the wrong and just being moody. Feedback welcome.

Have you considered transferring departments? You'd make the same amount in the backroom, would get to work with that great TL more often, and would have a different ETL. Plus less guest interaction means you're less likely to get worn down by the shitty ones. Same thing goes for ship from store if your store has it or is getting it.

If there ever is a TL opening elsewhere in the store, go for it if you feel confident. Sounds like your a GSA, i'm supposing obviously... but it is basically a bitch of a job. Looks pretty good on a resume, but i strongly doubt they will give you a raise. If you can get a job elsewhere, go for it defiantly. Good luck

Have you considered transferring departments? You'd make the same amount in the backroom, would get to work with that great TL more often, and would have a different ETL. Plus less guest interaction means you're less likely to get worn down by the shitty ones. Same thing goes for ship from store if your store has it or is getting it.
our GSTL is doing so bad that the BRTL might actually come up and help run the front for Q4. Also don't think we're getting ship from store any time soon, but I could be wrong. That's not a bad idea on the whole, though. I might ask about it. Thanks.

Go for back room. It will be a change for pace for you. Also, you will get to work with that brtl more. Ask them now..

Meh, it's work. Stress comes with good work, strengthens us as people. All how you look at it. Do your best and exceed expectations. Maybe try to cross train to be scheduled elsewhere.

Like @SFSFun said, I made the switch from GSA to Backroom/SFS. Before I made the transition, I had spent around a six months as a cashier, six months as guest services, and about 4-5 months as GSA. Even without SFS, I much prefer the backroom or just logistics in general. After spending two holiday seasons having to deal with guests, I was absolutely done and our shitty GE leadership was no small part of it. I made the transition during the latter part of December, so I ended up moving to Logistics just as holiday season was winding down. Overall, I'm really happy with the transition even if I didn't have any involvement in SFS. It's a good fit for me, since I'm much more of a pragmatist than a "bend over backwards and make the guest happy" kind of person so hiding away in the backroom dealing with numbers and boxes suits me so much better. By nature, I don't like being the center of attention and I try to live as stress-free as possible so me and GSA did not mix. It's still not easily done in the backroom, but it's definitely more manageable.

In Logistics, it's kind of a trade off as to what you have to deal with. Sure, you don't have to deal with whiny guests, but you also have to deal with 6 hour long 3PM CAFs without support from leadership. You don't have your attention pulled a million different ways by various cashiers and guests, but you have to respond to guest pulls and SPUs. Instead of dealing with coupon scammers, you have to deal with the mountain of backstock left over from the autofills because overnight had a bunch of call-outs. You don't have to deal with that guest screaming at your face over a $5 return, but you instead get to deal with the passive-aggressive truck driver because the receiver forgot to print out the sweep paperwork. At the end of the day, work is work, and almost anything you do at Target will involve some level of stress. As part of the Logistics process, you are responsible for keeping up BRLA and the various statistics associated with our workcenter, much like you are with Redcards at the front lanes. However, I think it isn't nearly as bad because keeping up Logistics statistics pretty much amounts to "do your job properly" and doesn't involve trying to sell credit cards.

I think it comes down to what kind of person you are. I'm a logistically wired pragmatist with an affinity for social isolationism, so hiding away in the backroom suits me just fine. Not that that means that you have to be that kind of person to thrive in the backroom, just that it helps. You obviously still need to interact with your team and anyone you encounter of the floor when picking SPUs and such, but beyond that it's just a different beast. If you have any questions, feel free to ask or shoot me a PM or something.

back room would be much better for you,but you will need some one pulling hard for you to get away from the front lanes at this time of year,good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back