Archived End to end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our store is going end to end in March. My boss just asked me my availability and asked if I was interested in learning how to set sales planners and backroom and that If I'm not prepared by March than there might not be a place for me on the team anymore...this sort of offended me as this was the first I had heard about it and he acted like I've known for months and refused to learn...why do they do that?

Anyway, what is end to end and store modernization? What am I going to have to do?

There have been many complaints. I don’t understand cause we’re not doing it yet. I’m looking forward to complete ownership. No relying on others that don’t do their jobs (and no more complaining about it). No more finger pointing why something failed, complete accountability. I’m a hard worker and fully functional in all tasks, i’ll Be able to do it. Those not fully trained or willing to work every second will certainly struggle.

Oh, I see finger pointing is still an issue then. Sigh.
Like I said, no hands on reality for me yet. Must be why so many firings and quitting: the raised expectations need to weed out the weak. I hope all lazies are promoted to guest. I would love to work with only people that want it to work. Fantasy ? Probably.

There are a few GREAT tm I love to work with, yet too many are just dead weight wasting payroll. Keeping my fingers crossed for a veteran, fair, friendly, hard working cohesive team.

..........why am I so thirsty ? Feeling faint.......Anyone have anymore of that sweet kool-aid ?

If my store was anything to go by, what happens is your veteran TMs that are good at their job now (such as flow, backroom, POG etc.) get frustrated when they are suddenly expected to do new roles perfectly with only crash course training, and then are constantly belittled for not finishing their work in an unreasonable amount of time. They are told to “make it work” because they’re an “expert” now and have complete responsibility, but if they bring up an idea to improve the process in their area, they’re told that modernization doesn’t allow it, and their concerns are brushed off.

After a while of this they either stop giving a shit and do enough to not get fired, or leave for greener pastures, all while the store hires new people who get the same crap training, making about the same pay as them, and the cycle repeats.

The most frustrating thing is the process can work if the right amount of hours were allocated and with proper training

Last edited:
Hmmm. Scaring.
If my store was anything to go by, what happens is your veteran TMs that are good at their job now (such as flow, backroom, POG etc.) get frustrated when they are suddenly expected to do new roles perfectly with only crash course training, and then are constantly belittled for not finishing their work in an unreasonable amount of time. They are told to “make it work” because they’re an “expert” now and have complete responsibility, but if they bring up an idea to improve the process in their area, they’re told that modernization doesn’t allow it, and their concerns are brushed off.

After a while of this they either stop giving a shit and do enough to not get fired, or leave for greener pastures, all while the store hires new people who get the same crap training, making about the same pay as them, and the cycle repeats.

The most frustrating thing is the process can work if the right amount of hours were allocated and with proper training

Hmmm. Scaring me a bit. Can I hear from anyone that HAS made it work please.

Hmmm. Scaring.

Hmmm. Scaring me a bit. Can I hear from anyone that HAS made it work please.
That's the point. It doesn't work. They eliminate the specialty teams but they don't give enough hours for the sales floor staff to get done their stuff plus specialty teams stuff. And it's true that jack of all trades is master of none, if you don't specialize in a certain area there's no way you can possibly know every bit as much of the details as the specialty team did along with knowing every bit as much as all other specialty teams, because not enough time being allocated to learn all the ins and outs of every single area.

Were the hours more free flowing, where you could allocate all the special team hours and portion of back room hours and anything else sales floor is now expected to do, then modernization could work well. But that's not what is given, when you look at what sales floor is to do now and you add up all the hour that would have been given to get all those tasks done before modernization, there are less hours than there once was to do all the same tasks. Target is trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip by slashing all the specialty teams, raising sales floor a little so they can do all the other tasks, and ignoring that the hours raised is not nearly what was lost when looking at the total store.

You can also check the attitude that people just don't work nearly as hard as you and everyone else is struggling because they are lazy, and you are the golden child when it comes to work.

So sorry to offend. I may be more tarnished than golden.
I get frustrated with ‘time-wasters’-I see so much of it. Like the tm that took 3 hours to set an endcap, empty, with no signing.
I’m just trying to make the point that - there are a few veterans in my store that don’t need any further training to complete all the processes, wouldn’t that make it easier for us to be successful ? I do Not envy the newer tm that has such a steep leaning curve to master.
Please don’t hate me. Just looking for answers, modernization is the one area Where I don’t have experience. Just trying to learn before it happens.

As far as answers......I don't have them, and I don't think anyone does.

As far as your veterans, you and they may not know everything you think you and they do. There's a lot of itty bitty things I didn't even realize were done at all, and I still don't have knowledge or experience in all things.

As far as preparing for it, if you have any sway with leadership suggest strongly that special teams stay as intact as possible in practice even though they will vanish on paper. The ladies that were part of flow are now listed under softlines and take stuff from the truck and prep it on vehicles to be put on the floor. The same few softlines people always do price change. The same few softlines people do adjacencies. Yeah, specializing like this means not everyone is equally competent in all things, but it's hobbling along instead of falling apart completely.

I get frustrated with ‘time-wasters’-I see so much of it. Like the tm that took 3 hours to set an endcap, empty, with no signing.
I’m just trying to make the point that - there are a few veterans in my store that don’t need any further training to complete all the processes, wouldn’t that make it easier for us to be successful ? I do Not envy the newer tm that has such a steep leaning curve to master.
Please don’t hate me. Just looking for answers, modernization is the one area Where I don’t have experience. Just trying to learn before it happens.

I understood what you meant. The problem with modernization is now those of you who work hard will be considered the same as them because you can’t “get it done”, and it has nothing to do with the process because corporate said it will work, you just aren’t working hard enough. You may have some TLs and ETLs who understand the issue, but they will be forced out or decide to pursue better things

The major problem with Modernization is it is based on stores receiving individual items (or eaches) for replenishment and those being sent on the truck already sorted by aisles and/or palletized by area. Because a DC can't be reconfigured while operational, and the cost of building replacements or more DCs would be cost prohibitive, stores are still being sent case packs and doing aisle specific sorting as the truck is being unloaded. As such, stores are being drowned in a tsunami of product that can not be unloaded, pushed, and backstocked with staffing based on receiving much fewer product more conveniently separated before it arrives at the store's bay door. The process would work better if implemented as designed, but I feel it won't be and we will forever be stuck with the current horrendous way of running stores.

And payroll. Don't forget about the gobs of payroll that needs to be spent to efficiently run E2E.

I can do all of the tasks, but I can't do it all by myself - or with tm's who aren't motivated, efficient, quick or trained.

Nor can I help all those guests, do all that reshop/freight, and cashier - while zoning, shooting OUTs, setting POGs, REVs or SPLs, and back stocking, et. al.

Not to mention Pricing and Purging the BR.

First let me ask you what volume is your store? Modernization is not easy and definitely not fun. However what your stl asked you to do is not hard at all. Basically setting different areas in the store unless he give you specific area. As for the backroom the reason is that once you tie in your sales planners you will drop batches and you will have to pull your batches and backstock whatever comes back. Don’t get scare just learn the Plano stuff first and backroom will be smooth to learn

First let me ask you what volume is your store? Modernization is not easy and definitely not fun. However what your stl asked you to do is not hard at all. Basically setting different areas in the store unless he give you specific area. As for the backroom the reason is that once you tie in your sales planners you will drop batches and you will have to pull your batches and backstock whatever comes back. Don’t get scare just learn the Plano stuff first and backroom will be smooth to learn

Learn the Plano stuff? Don't you have to have the resources to learn something? That's like standing someone at a register with no training materials and telling them .... learn register. Plano isn't just throwing stuff on a shelf. I bet 99% of the people on a store on any day don't understand the concept of a reverse aisle, much less set one. But all you have to do is learn Plano.

End to End is far from completion. It will be another 5 years before we see the true benefits.

Everything we strive for here is to turn sales, current payroll allocation does not allow in some locations the time to set end cap salesplans, revisions, fill departments day to day from the stockroom, etc. End to End will solve this....eventually.

A lead will own a couple departments and a few TMs per. Those TMs will "own" their tasks and their tasks are nothing grand, their tasks will simply be fill the floor as efficiently as possible and stay CURRENT.

This process change is genius and target is doing it on a very large scale. Nothing to worry about, if you can learn new things and you want to work hard for a generous wage, youl be fine.

End to End is far from completion. It will be another 5 years before we see the true benefits.

Everything we strive for here is to turn sales, current payroll allocation does not allow in some locations the time to set end cap salesplans, revisions, fill departments day to day from the stockroom, etc. End to End will solve this....eventually.

A lead will own a couple departments and a few TMs per. Those TMs will "own" their tasks and their tasks are nothing grand, their tasks will simply be fill the floor as efficiently as possible and stay CURRENT.

This process change is genius and target is doing it on a very large scale. Nothing to worry about, if you can learn new things and you want to work hard for a generous wage, youl be fine.

Are you stupid? All over this site people who are doing E2E flat out say there's not enough time to get everything done, that the amount of tasks given simply cannot be done in the amount of time allotted. Working hard doesn't matter, generous wage doesn't matter, there is a human limit as to how much can be done in a certain amount of time and no one can get beyond the limitation of their own body and the limitation of time that moves at a steady pace instead of slowing down when you have too much to do. I see it at my store, everyone else sees it at theirs, modernization is failing over the whole country.

Give sufficient hours, and modernization could work. But that's not what's being given. There's too much being demanded, it shows because there's no way to get everything done so it doesn't get done, and no amount of badgering about how people just need to work hard and no amount of wage increases can fix not enough time.

I really wish there was some list that rank stores best to worst for end to end cause I wanna go and see how ours compares. Right now I go to others out of district and stores look amazing but I know they are not doing end to end as I never have seen a uboat. I do know there was a store by us that was vomiting pallets onto the floor because backroom was full. That store was modernized...

Side note: I've never seen a better use of the word "vomiting".

But, I wonder of that it was my store about 3 days after Christmas? We had pallets lining ice cream and beer wall until 3pm. Ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back