Archived ETL Bonuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flow Warrior

progenitor of thalassophobia
Ok, there is a wierd rumor floating about our store that the reason why are hours are cut has to do with ETL bonuses (and the fact that our inventory was horrid this year. BRTL quit right after new years.) So if anyone can explain how bonuses work; ie how they are structured, who gets them and why, it would help if this is rumor or actual factor. Just for information sake my store is old and has several 25 yr lifers and 1o+ lifers they are the ones griping not the newbs.

From another thread:
My ETL said they get bonuses but the STL gets the biggest bonus for the most metrics. I.e. Giving hours back....which is why there's a skeleton crew usually makes sense, making the YTD, if the percentage in comp is up, redcards are a huge metric to go towards bonuses this year, hiring externals, internals being promoted to ETL goes toward their bonus too I heard......I heard the bonus is guaranteed but how BIG it'll be depends on those factors

cobycord, Apr 16, 2016

That 2nd hand info from a etl isn't accurate at all. There are like 20 different categories for the bonus, with a cap of 100 points total. Most things are 5 points, and some( 3 or 4) scale as high as 15 last iirc. People need to get off this bandwagon of "omg store bonus for payroll cuts!!!". You work in retail, you know retail reacts to sales, and applies hours to it on a district level. Not just stores.

From what I've heard from ex-etl's is that at least 5% bonus is guaranteed (pending if the ETL is an average/solid performer) and then if the store does great their bonus is more around 15% and possibly 20% if they knock it out of the park

I don't know what to believe. When my STL toots his own horn about making payroll hours and $$ for almost 20 rolling months now, and we are understaffed frequently, makes you wonder. Now, stores cant rely on flex hours, I accept that. Mine has been down in sales, then sales go up in week 3/4, and by day 26 of the month we get 400 hours of flex. No way in hell to use all that up. But I do feel that they underschedule from what the initial budget is, so as to not be over from TMs staying late, or the accumulation of people clocking in 5 min early, etc. All I know is, one TM in HL and one in SL on a Sunday is a sign of someone playing with the payroll. And I'm
in a AA Super-T

It would be useful if those who have self identified as ETLs would chime in here. Possibly they haven't popped in the last few days? Or possibly the ETL and STL bonuses are better than we know and it would make them uncomfortable in helping our need to understand?

It is not unusual for a store manager's bonus to be 20-25 of their salary. They are paid to perform.

I don't know what to believe. When my STL toots his own horn about making payroll hours and $$ for almost 20 rolling months now, and we are understaffed frequently, makes you wonder. Now, stores cant rely on flex hours, I accept that. Mine has been down in sales, then sales go up in week 3/4, and by day 26 of the month we get 400 hours of flex. No way in hell to use all that up. But I do feel that they underschedule from what the initial budget is, so as to not be over from TMs staying late, or the accumulation of people clocking in 5 min early, etc. All I know is, one TM in HL and one in SL on a Sunday is a sign of someone playing with the payroll. And I'm
in a AA Super-T

My understanding is that store's need to make payroll. Going over hours costs leadership on their bonus. Going under does not improve their bonus. However, if you don't use your hours, you store looks like crap, your guests complain about long lines, product doesn't get out on the shelves, etc...you don't make sales.

So if your STL is working with the meager payroll, and making sales, they're doing good!

It would be useful if those who have self identified as ETLs would chime in here. Possibly they haven't popped in the last few days? Or possibly the ETL and STL bonuses are better than we know and it would make them uncomfortable in helping our need to understand?

It is not unusual for a store manager's bonus to be 20-25 of their salary. They are paid to perform.

ETL bonuses are usually hardly anything. The bonus structure also changed for this upcoming year. It used to depend first on PG of the ETL (the assumtion was that a PG13 ETL contributed more to store performance than an PG9 newbie), and then on their review score. So a PG13 ETL who got an EX had a much larger bonus than a PG9 ETL who got an IE. Now the PG structure is gone, so its purely on review score.

In terms of payroll affecting the bonuses, I would say I don't ever have the bonus in mind when it comes to payroll. The point of cutting payroll was to earn AE points (or KMI points now?), which just was a measurement of store performance. The better an AE score a store had, the better review scores STORE WIDE we can get. If you are a store that made Sales, Payroll, Service, Operations etc... most of the ETLs could get EXs and a few Es. TLs could get almost all EXs. TMs will get more Os and EXs. If you are a store that can't make payroll, then the ETLs obviously are not performing well, but its also a reflection of the entire team (TLs can't manage their business, TMs are generally not as good etc)

I might add that my store finished the 2015 fiscal year saving over 5000 (not a typo) hours. The general consensus is that the STL is screwing the team and padding his bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back