Archived ETL Communication

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I wanted to see if anyone had any type of feedback for a recent ETL.

I'm finding that the time commitment and amount of communication being expected is beyond what Im okay with and I'm wondering what I'm within my right to say no to?

We have ETL group chats and communication apps that have ETLs sending updates out from 3am to 12am nearly daily.

We also have emails and updates sent out that we are expected to read despite not being at work. (Having email on the phone I was told was optional but there is still an expectation that Im reading emails and updates when I'm not present at work and can speak to them.)

Recently I was told I need to start recruiting on my own time for new employees as well as sign up for hiring apps with my personal information as a recruitment effort. I don't mind recruiting on work time for an hour or 2 a week with business cards. But not on my free time. I am also totally against postings my information on the internet just to get in new prospects.

Is this what it is to be salary or is it just my store? I feel like I should be able to politely decline or ignore most of this communication when I'm not at work? Idk if salary means I'm never off now? What are you guys experiences or boundaries?

Thank you!

Hey guys, I wanted to see if anyone had any type of feedback for a recent ETL.

I'm finding that the time commitment and amount of communication being expected is beyond what Im okay with and I'm wondering what I'm within my right to say no to?

We have ETL group chats and communication apps that have ETLs sending updates out from 3am to 12am nearly daily.

We also have emails and updates sent out that we are expected to read despite not being at work. (Having email on the phone I was told was optional but there is still an expectation that Im reading emails and updates when I'm not present at work and can speak to them.)

Recently I was told I need to start recruiting on my own time for new employees as well as sign up for hiring apps with my personal information as a recruitment effort. I don't mind recruiting on work time for an hour or 2 a week with business cards. But not on my free time. I am also totally against postings my information on the internet just to get in new prospects.

Is this what it is to be salary or is it just my store? I feel like I should be able to politely decline or ignore most of this communication when I'm not at work? Idk if salary means I'm never off now? What are you guys experiences or boundaries?

Thank you!

Well first you are salary. Most salaried management jobs are like this unless it’s a 9-5 office job. The business is fluid and changes come every minute. I think it would be safe to check once in the morning and once in the evening email and/or message apps. But if visitors are in your district and other stores are sending out updates as to what they are looking for you need to read and communicate to your team to make sure those areas are on point. If you have a good visit they are less likely to come back. If you have a bad visit they will come back and go more in detail. So you reading email on your day off eliminates a headache later in the week/month.

Recruiting is newer to the ETL/SD role and is key to the success of your team. If you have hiring needs you should be dedicating a couple of hours a week (as part of your shift) to go out to local retailers, grocery stores to see if they have talent. But in general as you are shopping, eating etc and someone gives you great service you should always have your business card to attempt to recruit them.

Theres a certain amount of off the clock work that comes with management, I’m an hourly PML and still get calls and texts off the clock from the team and vendors. I only punch correct if I have to make additional calls, I’m asleep, or you interrupt me in a social gathering.

That said, I have a couple ETL friends who deleted all the target apps off their phone except Group Me, and silenced those notifications too.

You as an ETL can draw a hard line in the sand and say “do not contact me unless it’s an emergency” but you’d better have green metrics and a green store. If your SD is “extra” (to put it politely), your store has tons of opportunities, or your business is a wreck then you’re going to get rode around the clock.

As for the recruiting BS, I’m not going to ask where you are, but our area’s ETLs don’t go out of their way to recruit at all. We literally have group personnel who’s tasked with cultivating new talent. Let’s say you’re in Cheyenne, Wyoming where the talent pool is going to be zero so those group recruiters should be reaching out to west and east coast peers to get kids who left for school to come back. If you’re talking about TM and TL recruiting then post a couple ads. My store rented a billboard for a couple years and we got completely inundated with applications.

I took a week vacation once while an ETL. I lined up everything needing done prior to departure. I got an ass-chewing when i came back as I did not respond to any calls/messages.

Yes, I am salary. However, I WAS ON VACACTION. That was the start of my souring for Target.

You can try to politely decline, but your commitment to your job will probably be brought into question (whether it's right or not). That's how it seems to work with ETLs, at least at the stores I've worked at.

From my understanding

SaLaRy Is BeTtEr

Find something with better defined boundaries.

I took a week vacation once while an ETL. I lined up everything needing done prior to departure. I got an ass-chewing when i came back as I did not respond to any calls/messages.

Yes, I am salary. However, I WAS ON VACACTION. That was the start of my souring for Target.

My SD took a last minute 4 day vacation a couple weeks ago and his phone coincidentally stopped receiving texts and emails all weekend. There’s always a double standard that varies on districts and individual stores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back