Archived ETL-HR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I've been in retail for 20 years and thinking of taking the ETL-HR position. Can anyone give advise or info on this position? Who are my direct reports? I am in Northern California, typical work week 50 hours? As HR I know I need to be on the sales floor to get to know the team members but how much time is spent in the office with paperwork? What are some of the specific job duties? Does the ETL-HR have a lot of LOD shifts? Any advise would be appreciated. Also, for those that got hired as an ETL with job experience what was the starting salary? I've heard 75-80k is possible.

Thanks in advance

All stores are different. My current store - the ETL HR has one day a week in which to do his paperwork (the STL's day off); otherwise he is on the floor being a generic TL. Our ETLs have specific titles, but they all do everything that needs to be done in the store. At my old store, the ETL HR never left her office. She also had HR TL x 2 who did all the paperwork and handled TM issues. I'm still not sure what she did in her office, but she seemed very happy there.

I guess it depends on the volume of the store? Or the luck of the draw? IDK. Good luck, though! Usually ETL HR at Target is THE position which is attractive to real 9-5, good paying, M-F jobs. You seem to be going backwards. ;)

If you have a good HR TL you will have a pretty easy time of things. If not, it will be probably be overwhelming.

That's if you even have an HR TL. My store is the only store in the district that has one. And the way things are looking, the HR ETL position is probably going away in the next few years, to be combined with another ETL position. Some stores already have a consolidated ETL-HR, usually combined with ETL-AP.

All stores are different. My current store - the ETL HR has one day a week in which to do his paperwork (the STL's day off); otherwise he is on the floor being a generic TL. Our ETLs have specific titles, but they all do everything that needs to be done in the store. At my old store, the ETL HR never left her office. She also had HR TL x 2 who did all the paperwork and handled TM issues. I'm still not sure what she did in her office, but she seemed very happy there.

I guess it depends on the volume of the store? Or the luck of the draw? IDK. Good luck, though! Usually ETL HR at Target is THE position which is attractive to real 9-5, good paying, M-F jobs. You seem to be going backwards. ;)

What do you mean by 9-5 and going backwards? I currently work about 50 hours a week at the district level and don't have any directs reports and have more of a training role than a management role. My goal would be to work as an ETL-HR for 12-18 months and then find a corporate HR job someplace. I have been told that former ETL-HR employees are able to get high level HR jobs with different companies fairly easy. Is anyone able to give an example of a typical work day...I know retail is never typical.....Thanks everyone for the feedback.

You made my point. Typically ETL HR is the optimum candidate for a corporate HR job. I found it surprising that you've been in retail for 20 years, work 50 hours a week and need the ETL HR job to jump into corporate HR.

I didn't mean to be disrespectful. Sorry if I offended. I just figure that you'd already be prepared for the corporate life without having to step into the Target merry-g0-round.

You made my point. Typically ETL HR is the optimum candidate for a corporate HR job. I found it surprising that you've been in retail for 20 years, work 50 hours a week and need the ETL HR job to jump into corporate HR.

I didn't mean to be disrespectful. Sorry if I offended. I just figure that you'd already be prepared for the corporate life without having to step into the Target merry-g0-round.

Redman...no disrespect taken....the 20 years of experience was not all HR...I started as a cashier, stocking, pharmacy and then district job training team members. I just received by HR degree and without direct HR experience managing people and the HR cycle it can be hard to find a job that pays over 70K...I currently make that when I include perks like company car and bonus...I am currently can not advance at my current company so that's why I am looking at Target. I eventually want to by a HR business partner....Hope that helps in regards to my experience and where I want to go.

Be advised that some groups are testing the elimination of HRBP. HRBP and APBP have been slimmed down and all other BP positions have been cut and sent back to the store. This is just in a few groups, it may or may not become company wide.

However you are correct that ETL-HR can find good jobs. Not all have direct reports, maybe 2 at most depending on volume. You'll be a normal ETL depending on store. The holidays you'll work more than 50 hours. Our HR worked more like 60 on average. I've seen new hires make 75+, mostly ex store managers and military.

I would stay where your at. Depending on the store volume you may be put in charge of AP/HR. And it sounds like that's not what your looking for. Plus district positions are getting cut or consolidated every other day it seems.

Is it possible for a TM under 18 to become a team lead?

Possible but unlikely. It is hard to get people to view you as mature enough to handle the level of responsibility. You cannot be a GSTL as you will be unable to sell & perform the proper overrides with regard to age-restricted items such as alcohol.

My store doesn't hire minors at all, let alone select them for TL positions. But ASANTS as always.

Last edited:
Possible but unlikely. It is hard to get people to view you as mature enough to handle the level of responsibility. You cannot be a GSTL as you will be unable to sell & perform the proper overrides with regard to age-restricted items such as alcohol.

My store doesn't hire minors at all, let alone select them for TL positions. But ASANTS as always.
We have a member on here that became a GSTL at age 16 fyi.

We have a member on here that became a GSTL at age 16 fyi.

And this is not good practice whatsoever. This means that every time a minor rings alcohol, an LOD or other of age supervisor will need to be called over to complete the transaction. Or you'll have to swap cashiers mid-transaction. What a waste of time and productivity. Your guests will not be happy...

Last edited:
And this is not good practice whatsoever. This means that every time a minor rings alcohol, an LOD or other of age supervisor will need to be called over to complete the transaction. Or you'll have to swap cashiers mid-transaction. What a waste of time and productivity. Your guests will not be happy...
There was a time before GSAs that stores had multiple GSTLs. My old store years ago had 4 GSTLs and we weren't even super high volume. I know of some that were higher volume than us with upwards of 5-6. It wasn't much of a problem at that time when you would pretty much have double coverage at all times.

Some states only allow alcohol to be sold at bars or state run shops. Target doesn't sell alcohol in MD or PA

And my store just recently started selling alcohol.

So there is a chance their store didn't sell alcohol and it was never a problem.

Now back on topic:
Hello,

I've been in retail for 20 years and thinking of taking the ETL-HR position. Can anyone give advise or info on this position? Who are my direct reports? I am in Northern California, typical work week 50 hours? As HR I know I need to be on the sales floor to get to know the team members but how much time is spent in the office with paperwork? What are some of the specific job duties? Does the ETL-HR have a lot of LOD shifts? Any advise would be appreciated. Also, for those that got hired as an ETL with job experience what was the starting salary? I've heard 75-80k is possible.

Thanks in advance

California, Saturday at 11:42 AMReport
#1Like+ QuoteQuote

Hello,

Thanks in advance

I can't give you advice in regards to ETL hr however you would normally have two direct reports. I am in a high volume store and my ETL hr has two LOD shifts the rest of that time they are behind the scenes. I was hired as an ETL with previous experience and I live in the least expensive area of NorCal and was offered a little over 70k. So what you're asking for is definitely possible as long as you have management experience.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Had my second interview and took the assessment. Either I bombed the interview or assessment or my salary request was too high, they are pursuing other candidates. All for the better since some new opportunities have come at my current employer and some other employers that would be a better fit. The assessment is crazy. I really don't feel some of the sections actually help identify good candidates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back