Archived ETL interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know all the Target lingo/jargon has changed since my srtl interview. Any advice/suggestions?

At least with my district and group leadership, no one has embraced be bold/curious/accountable/one way because they're not specific enough to be useful. Proceed as normal with the leadership expectations. It was taken off of workbench, but your ETL-HR or STL probably still has a copy lying around.

Other than that, here's my advice from a previous thread on this topic.

For ETL interviews, your answers should all be high scope. That means:
  • you should not tell stories that revolve around team members. Your stories should minimally involve your peers, but preferably TLs of other workcenters or ideally your ETLs/STL.
  • your stories should have long lasting impacts, minimally in your workcenter but ideally in other workcenters or storewide.
For example, let's take a time that you took initiative to solve a problem.

Bad example: I noticed BRLA for my TOY aisles was red. I told a TM to LOCU those aisles. Next week BRLA for my TOY aisles updated green.
That's a terrible story. It's low effort (you delegated a task to a TM) and low scope (you didn't partner with anyone or drive any kind of lasting change.)​

Better example: When I first started as a BRTL, location accuracy was an opportunity for us. I knew the importance of BRLA in the instocks and replenishment process overall, so I looped my ETL, my OVN LOG ETL and my STL in on my plan to build solid routines to fix and maintain LA. I assigned each BR TM specific backroom aisles for which they would run the detail report on and correct errors in on a bi-weekly basis. I then partnered with my OVN LOG ETL to ensure that they followed up with their OVN BR TMs to ensure execution. I regularly partnered with the team to identify trends in the errors they found and was able to course correct by holding error-prone TMs accountable. This routine gave my team a sense of ownership for their aisles and brought maintaining a branded and accurate backroom to the forefront of my team's culture. Since this routine has been in place location accuracy has been a consistent win for us and the store has seen improvements in instocks as a result.
Better! You developed a plan, then looped your direct report, another ETL and your STL in. You built a routine that addressed one of your workcenter's opportunities and strengthened storewide instocks in the process. You drove a change in team culture by making a plan and managing its execution. You leveraged an ETL so they could follow up with their team on your behalf.
I just made that up so it's not the best, but hopefully you get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Ask an ETL whose opinions you value for help with interview prep; they should be able to give you a sense of what stories you need to come up with and can help you brainstorm and tweak them. Your ETL-HR/STL might be able to get you the interview packets. And most importantly, relax. Interviews on short notice are always a good sign; it means that your DTL already has a good idea of the position they want you for and are comfortable imagining you in the role. Know your stories, know your store's metrics (not just for your workcenter but storewide) and don't make a complete fool of yourself and you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back