Archived ETL pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I know ETLs make 50k starting out, but how often are raises? How much are they? How long would it take to get to 60-65k? Assuming you have good performance and all

From another thread:

You are looking at about 50-55K starting wage. You get a yearly annual metric increase in March that is anywhere between 1-4% on average. Your bonus is also about 1-4% of your yearly salary.

Now, that is not where our raises come from at all. I couldn't care less about the yearly review because it is hardly worth mentioning (its just nice it stacks with the other increase we have available). What got added is that a few times a year your STL and DTL can submit you for a pay increase off cycle from your yearly review, and these are worth WAY more than your review. There is no actual limit to the amount of these you can receive and your STL can continue to submit you depending on your performance.

These range from 5-15% increases on average. It depends on your results and your pay in comparison to your peers in general. For example, you might take over ETL-HR at a store as your second position and 6 months in you are killing it. Your STL and DTL can pull your pay compared to the other ETL-HRs in the district and they see that they are all paid much more than you (common since most older ETLs do that role). They submit you for a pay increase since you are performing as well or better than most of them.

This is how you make money at Target though. That 55 can become 65 pretty quickly, and then 6 months later you could go up to 75. Its completely up to you and your performance.
Thanks
Rock lobster

On paper I make 48.7k 40 hrs/week. I'm on track to make 55k with holidays and OT. If I take my hourly and multiply it by 50hrs/week that would put me at 60.8k. would anyone accept less than that just to get into the ETL position? 55k is literally only $120 more per paycheck with 10hrs more (min)/week.

$120 more per 2 week pay period where you will work 20 more hours?
Yeah you have to be careful and negotiate hard when promoting to ETL because if you don’t you could end up earning less per hour when you take into account 50 hour weeks vs those extra 10 hours would be OT pay before the promotion etc. I wouldn’t take ETL for less than $58,000 because $20/hr 40 hours a week, plus $30/hr 10 hours a week for the OT time and a half is a little over $57,000 and that’s before you factor in holiday pay etc. Also, don’t forget ETLs get bonuses, and pay increases can happen quickly. So you have to find that balance of what you’ll settle for vs the earning potential.

Yeah you have to be careful and negotiate hard when promoting to ETL because if you don’t you could end up earning less per hour when you take into account 50 hour weeks vs those extra 10 hours would be OT pay before the promotion etc. I wouldn’t take ETL for less than $58,000 because $20/hr 40 hours a week, plus $30/hr 10 hours a week for the OT time and a half is a little over $57,000 and that’s before you factor in holiday pay etc. Also, don’t forget ETLs get bonuses, and pay increases can happen quickly. So you have to find that balance of what you’ll settle for vs the earning potential.
I do get what you are saying about working more hours and what it WOULD be worth ....But what tm/TL is getting 10 hours OT/week ? I may end up staying the extra 10 hours just trying to finish up and leave but i’m Not getting OT for it, some weeks i’m Only Scheduled 30 and hunted down to punch out on time.

I do get what you are saying about working more hours and what it WOULD be worth ....But what tm/TL is getting 10 hours OT/week ? I may end up staying the extra 10 hours just trying to finish up and leave but i’m Not getting OT for it, some weeks i’m Only Scheduled 30 and hunted down to punch out on time.
I’m referring to the expectation that ETLs put in 50 hours a week; if we expected that from non-exempts it would be OT. If you’re promoting to ETL and doing the math for 50 hours of regular pay a week you’re undervaluing 20% of your time. I know ASANTS but the TLs at my store always get monster OT during Q4 and the ETLs joke that we do better than them paywise November/December.

I’m referring to the expectation that ETLs put in 50 hours a week; if we expected that from non-exempts it would be OT. If you’re promoting to ETL and doing the math for 50 hours of regular pay a week you’re undervaluing 20% of your time. I know ASANTS but the TLs at my store always get monster OT during Q4 and the ETLs joke that we do better than them paywise November/December.
I’m hoping that it true for 2019, however, the writing on the wall is that those ships have sailed. Lately, saying OT is worse than any cuss word. I am curious to see though because we have had such a difficult time retaining good people and filling open slots.....maybe if we stick it out we WILL be allowed OT when there are no alternatives !

^ I get the impression that if there is lots of OT in a store during Q4 these days, someone is getting powpows for not hiring enough seasonal TM. In the last couple years I’ve only seen OT approved once and that was solely to work ship from store.

Yeah OT is seriously cut. As TL 2018 is averaging 10 hrs / check. This year 0-3. And when I get 3 I get a Stern email. With the new TL bonus, I see it go in ng away unless it's an emergency.

Unfortunately I never work 40 hours because I get yelled at for going a minute over. I always come in at like 39.8 and use personal holiday time to bump up to 40 once every couple months to add a little bit extra to my paycheck

Last edited:
62k with 5% bonus. I think location is a factor too.
My hourly rate at 50 a week (not calculating the theoretic OT) is more than 60... I got a pretty serious bump from TL to Senior because my DSD relocated me to a remote store but seniors don’t get relocation packages. They made up for that in my hourly wage but if and when I get ETL, they’ll have to make me a pretty serious offer to make it worth it

My hourly rate at 50 a week (not calculating the theoretic OT) is more than 60... I got a pretty serious bump from TL to Senior because my DSD relocated me to a remote store but seniors don’t get relocation packages. They made up for that in my hourly wage but if and when I get ETL, they’ll have to make me a pretty serious offer to make it worth it

That is probably true for most but no one is getting 50 hours here. I was a senior before and I got my 40 and was kicked out like everyone else.

Forgot to mention (not sure if this is everywhere) but overnight ETL-Logs get $1000 quarter bonus as well. Additionally there is a performance bonus come review time. This is how it breaks down most of the time here:

$62k starting base
5% Bonus
3% Performance bonus (average according to a HR-BP)
+ $4k for overnight Exec

Keep in mind bonuses are taxed heavily like 40%.

I just got hired at 65k. Definitely depends on experience I'm sure. Anything 50k+ is a good income. Know what you're worth and ask for at least 5k more than that number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back