Archived ETLs thinking certain TMs are worth something they're not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason, at my store, if the ETLs like certain TMs, shady things happen to get them moved up, even if they really don't deserve it. New positions will suddenly be available, applications and interviews won't even happen, just given to whoever happens to be the favorite at the time. It's not that I'm jealous, I like where I am now. But I actually had to do something to get to where I am. My store often cross trains, especially if hours are low in all areas. So newer cashiers may get closing shifts on the salesfloor, just zoning and doing reshop, and TLs and ETLs think they're so smart and flexible. Cashiering and zoning is hard? Not that I'm dissing on the cashiers and closers out there who go above and beyond, but most of the TMs at my store do not. Does this happen at other stores?

In years past it has happened. We had one Stl who loved to drink. He would hang out with some of the younger tms and drink it up. He somehow managed to promote most of them ( this is when there were Level 2s) He was eventually fired and most of the tms he promoted couldn't deal with the new stl...and they jumped ship. Don't get me wrong there still are shady things that go on at my store ( and I am almost certain at every store to some degree)but nothing as major as a raging boozer who loved to promote teenagers who in turn couldn't even show up for work cause they were always drunk.

I am in a similar situation. This tm is being trained to become TL, yet I honestly think she is one of the worst tm's in our store. Her work ethics suck and can't even set a pog correctly, but I guess being extra friendly to an ETL and TL has its perks.

In years past it has happened. We had one Stl who loved to drink. He would hang out with some of the younger tms and drink it up. He somehow managed to promote most of them ( this is when there were Level 2s) He was eventually fired and most of the tms he promoted couldn't deal with the new stl...and they jumped ship. Don't get me wrong there still are shady things that go on at my store ( and I am almost certain at every store to some degree)but nothing as major as a raging boozer who loved to promote teenagers who in turn couldn't even show up for work cause they were always drunk.
Wow sounds like one of mine old stls he promoted several backroom guys to tl positions after he started buying drugs from them smh. Thankfully none of them work for spot anymore

Yep. Happened at my store. This person did nothing, but the ETLs thought she was great. So she got the promotion to TL. And as long as that TM walks on water, all you can do is grit your teeth and smile, because it will only hurt you in the long run to point out the truth.

I have watched numerous TMs, with unimpressive skillsets and work ethics, begin development towards leadership. But my store has a handful of competative talent all pushing for a promotion, so the bad ones usually don't last long before they're given up on, and pushed to the side.

For some reason, at my store, if the ETLs like certain TMs, shady things happen to get them moved up, even if they really don't deserve it. New positions will suddenly be available, applications and interviews won't even happen, just given to whoever happens to be the favorite at the time. It's not that I'm jealous, I like where I am now. But I actually had to do something to get to where I am. My store often cross trains, especially if hours are low in all areas. So newer cashiers may get closing shifts on the salesfloor, just zoning and doing reshop, and TLs and ETLs think they're so smart and flexible. Cashiering and zoning is hard? Not that I'm dissing on the cashiers and closers out there who go above and beyond, but most of the TMs at my store do not. Does this happen at other stores?

This happens all the time at my store. One girl with no retail experience before target went from a team member to a team lead in less than a year. She flirts with all the guys in the store. But there are people who have been there for years who can't get promoted who are great workers. It's all a popularity contest apparently. It wasnt like this with our previous store manager.

It's happened at my store. A few years ago when the new ETL came in, our one team member, who was one of the laziest and rudest in the store, started to schmooze her into thinking he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Three years later, and he's head of loss prevention at another store.

I think it's always been a game and if you want to win you have to know the rules , working hard may help you get promoted,but smart beats working hard any time.I have been with Target a long time and don't know many people who got promoted because they were hard workers,in fact it has tended to count against them.

I think it's always been a game and if you want to win you have to know the rules , working hard may help you get promoted,but smart beats working hard any time.I have been with Target a long time and don't know many people who got promoted because they were hard workers,in fact it has tended to count against them.
i've seen this to be true so many times, but what are "the rules"? is it basically just getting leaders to like you?

I was always told it's about running a "green zone". My STL, love her and is a great woman, doesn't have any connection with her team. But whenever it feels like the heat is on she has paperwork to back her up and I think that's what keeps saving her job. Even after the GTL came and tore our store apart she....meaning the TLs that have been there decades fixed every problem that was called out and turned it all around in a few days. The lazy people are always gonna win if they have great people working around them and no ones speaking up on there performance. The only thing that hurts a lot people at my store is that TLs tend to cry wolf on someone saying that they're lazy when in all actuality they just haven't been trained correctly.

These people who get promoted and haven't "worked" for it ...eventually it catches up to them. They will fall out of favor at some point and at that point they don't have any leadership skills to back it up .Then, either they are fired or are ridden so bad they quit. I have seen it time and time again. Another thing that always bothers me are these people who will work hard but only when a team lead or etl is around...the second they leave its back to being a lazy ass. Yet, somewhow they are constantly praised for being the backbone of the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back