Archived Even close?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are any DC's even close to sending pallets sorted as explained in the main page modernization thread?

It clearly isn't the DC's fault, but our store's flow team was gutted in anticipation for this I think.

Now, our backroom is a complete disaster. It's worse than I can even explain. There are days when you can't even get to the baler for houts. And nowhere to store carts of trash and cardboard except on the salesfloor.

So I was wondering if the pallet by department was even close.

Last edited:
I’m going with a no. Unfortunately at the dc level we don’t really know anything about timeline on anything. Usually they share the idea of what they want to do in the “future” but aren’t really toldnwhen that plan will take affect.

I’m going with a no. Unfortunately at the dc level we don’t really know anything about timeline on anything. Usually they share the idea of what they want to do in the “future” but aren’t really toldnwhen that plan will take affect.

I'd have thought you would see the changes if the plan was to roll it out by Q2 2019. Won't the whole process at the DC need to change?

Personally, if we comp 5% this year, I feel HQ won't even contemplate changing over the DCs. Their thinking will be: "We comped 5% with doing it this way! Why change it if it isn't broken?"

Meanwhile, we TMs in the store are gingerly stepping around the massive amounts of broken shards that is Modernization.

It kinda feels like that whole idea has been written off, the last I’ve heard of it was being told we were going to be a flow center, and I don’t even remember when that was... a year ago? Longer?
I’m guessing the pilot was probably a disaster but they’re just hoping everyone forgets without having to admit it. I don’t think we have the capacity to support going through with it, unless there are more DCs being built that we haven’t been told about.

It kinda feels like that whole idea has been written off, the last I’ve heard of it was being told we were going to be a flow center, and I don’t even remember when that was... a year ago? Longer?
I’m guessing the pilot was probably a disaster but they’re just hoping everyone forgets without having to admit it. I don’t think we have the capacity to support going through with it, unless there are more DCs being built that we haven’t been told about.

So they did half of it, the store side, which is a disaster at my store, but aren't going to finish it? And we're just supposed to make it work? Lol

DC reconfiguration is not happening in 2019 or ever. Shitty idea, glad it failed. 2019 is the year dedicated task teams make a comeback. High volume stores will resume 4am unloads. If we’re super lucky then flats might reappear too. I don’t wanna press my luck too hard and bet on trash cages returning but they might. Hours will still be shitty but we knew that.

I dont see how palletized freight can be possible, given that stores can tie whatever they want to whatever they want. How is the DC supposed to both know and react to the fact that a bunch of toys and sporting goods are now in the space where books were AND palletize a bunch of random departments together from their different storage spaces in the warehouse.

Or factor in the pets being in different spaces throughout the store. My store has it between paper and chem, so it would be palletized together with that, but another remodeled store around me has it between seasonal candy and luggage, so it would need to be palletized with that. There is no way DCs could react to the multitude of store layouts and palletize freight well. If they did, we would have another whole batch of team members upset that the pallets are an unsorted mess because their layout is different than expected in the slightest of ways

So, they were playing around the idea with palletized trucks (and individual sales units and loaded z-racks) with a single pilot store out of the Amsterdam DC(I think?). That was like two years ago. Radio silence since then about any major-level changes to the DC...And about the comp, I believe we were projected for a mind-boggling 8% comp for fall season, and it most certainly felt like that this year. So, my guess, They won't make any kind of radical DC-structure or functional changes in the near future.

DC reconfiguration is not happening in 2019 or ever. Shitty idea, glad it failed. 2019 is the year dedicated task teams make a comeback. High volume stores will resume 4am unloads. If we’re super lucky then flats might reappear too. I don’t wanna press my luck too hard and bet on trash cages returning but they might. Hours will still be shitty but we knew that.
But my store is getting rid of dedicated task teams in January. What’s the point if they are coming back?

There's zero chance at any kind of sweeping changes happening in 2019.

A vendor I talked to who’s company is involved in remodels said his company got the go for an upcoming DC remodel so uhhh.. don’t get your hopes up for one thing or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back