Archived Ever call out because you had to do "everything"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like today, we didn't have a opening brtm and the SFS TM called out. The flow TL texted me before I got in (,he leaves before me,) that I'd need to do a bunch of shit like help pick/pack,2 audits, all the cafs and all the research, exfs, flexes, and process all the sts and other shit.

Honestly, today has sucked and the only reason I didn't call out is so my today's pay would stack with the holiday pay from the 4th.

Having ETLs bitching at me about a bunch of things that should of be done before I got in is crazy

Oh I definitely know that feeling.. And had times such as this past week where you feel "compelled" to work only for the nice cash out of holiday pay.

The best part about if I called out would be me not even screwing anyone because everyone in my work center was either off or left, good thing about closing I guess

There was a time when our backroom had 4 people who called in every other day, would go home early and it would leave only me in the back. Id backstock 90% of the truck alone.

Just 2 weeks ago, opener called in, 2 other brtm called in, left just me and the team lead to do every single task alone together. We got that shit done plus more. Sometimes the others just get in the way of getting shit done becsuse they move so slow. If i could choose to, id say get rid of 2 of them and give me 40hrs, id get it all done with no problems. Sucks to feel that way but this 25hrs/week thing isnt working anymore.

There was a time when our backroom had 4 people who called in every other day, would go home early and it would leave only me in the back. Id backstock 90% of the truck alone.

Just 2 weeks ago, opener called in, 2 other brtm called in, left just me and the team lead to do every single task alone together. We got that shit done plus more. Sometimes the others just get in the way of getting shit done becsuse they move so slow. If i could choose to, id say get rid of 2 of them and give me 40hrs, id get it all done with no problems. Sucks to feel that way but this 25hrs/week thing isnt working anymore.
@BackroomAlpha , you're not interested in promoting to a TL anymore? I remember they're being guaranteed 40hrs...

Thing is, there are only so many hours in a day and your workload shouldn't exhaust you. Work at a pace that you can be comfortable with and no one can complain fairly. Stick to that mindset and you have nothing to worry about.

If your backroom is that unproductive, I hope your STL is taking notice. If not, talk to them or go talk to your BRTL.

We had a team member once say they were ending their shift early simply because they were having to answer all the calls and no one else was even putting effort into answering the calls. I thought for sure this person was going to quit but still working there but takes courage to speak up because change doesn't happen if we don't speak up, otherwise the leads will run all over us.

To be honest, every day has gotten to the point that they just keep piling things on to do.. On non truck days I ( backroom tm) usually work 6a-12 30 p. So, you take out a lunch and 15 minute break that means I am working a 5 45 min shift. I go in check fa's and pull them. Next, do the backroom audit then do the autoflls. After, the autofills are finished I have to pull price changes. After this, The lod will drop the dreaded manual cafs...so I have to do them. After, this research starts to drop so that has to be pulled .( Oh, don't forget have to check flex every 30 minutes and pull any that may drop) Oh and don't forget backstock...have to work on that in between pulls, fas etc, And once a week throw in the item merge report because clearly I don't have enough to do . I understand the wanting to run for the hills and never look back . I also know its only going to get worse and if not worse it certainly wont get any better. Almost, every morning before walking out the door I think...I could call out today. I don't do it and I wouldn't do it but it crosses my mind .

@BackroomAlpha , you're not interested in promoting to a TL anymore? I remember they're being guaranteed 40hrs...
No. They have strung a carrot over my head for too long. Ive been mentored, shown basically what the relationship is up the ladder of leadership and I don't want to be a part of it anymore. Its a lot of stress for 14$/hr also. My life outside of work is important to me but it seems this job consumes it. Id rather not, there is a light at the end of the tunnel and Id like to keep my eye on it, not engulf myself and become lost. Just the way I see it nowadays. Ive had my run trying to promote and its made me feel insane while at work. IMO unless youve got the education (and i know the policy changed but at store level it is still necessary) youre basically stuck as TL and while the pay is enough to stay a little above or at par in life, it isnt a comfortable wage. TLs are used as head worker ants, at least at my store but they hardly are allowed to manage their teams. Theyve got little say so in the overall process. Besides I want a job where the work is whats important and i thought thats what target cared for, the processes but they are making a serious venture and point that it is not about the processes anymore. Its become a slum job that over uses ppls legs and hearts (mine at least). Ive gotten good raises, so dont get me wrong. I appreciate everything target has done for me, i love the company but most of my buddies are making 6 figures and climbing, ive gotta get with it. Im def ranting now.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
No. They have strung a carrot over my head for too long. Ive been mentored, shown basically what the relationship is up the ladder of leadership and I don't want to be a part of it anymore. Its a lot of stress for 14$/hr also. My life outside of work is important to me but it seems this job consumes it. Id rather not, there is a light at the end of the tunnel and Id like to keep my eye on it, not engulf myself and become lost. Just the way I see it nowadays. Ive had my run trying to promote and its made me feel insane while at work. IMO unless youve got the education (and i know the policy changed but at store level it is still necessary) youre basically stuck as TL and while the pay is enough to stay a little above or at par in life, it isnt a comfortable wage. TLs are used as head worker ants, at least at my store but they hardly are allowed to manage their teams. Theyve got little say so in the overall process. Besides I want a job where the work is whats important and i thought thats what target cared for, the processes but they are making a serious venture and point that it is not about the processes anymore. Its become a slum job that over uses ppls legs and hearts (mine at least). Ive gotten good raises, so dont get me wrong. I appreciate everything target has done for me, i love the company but most of my buddies are making 6 figures and climbing, ive gotta get with it. Im def ranting now.
giphy.gif
@BackroomAlpha, Rant definitely well warranted and needed. Totally understand. I've experienced both (As a Tm and as a TL) and your right. One thing I never appreciated and was always trying to change when I was a TL was that "carrot dangling" culture. Happens tooo much in stores and honestly needs to stop!!

@BackroomAlpha, Rant definitely well warranted and needed. Totally understand. I've experienced both (As a Tm and as a TL) and your right. One thing I never appreciated and was always trying to change when I was a TL was that "carrot dangling" culture. Happens tooo much in stores and honestly needs to stop!!
Yes, it does. I have been lied to multiple times. This last past time was the breaking of the threshold for me. I cant explain exactly what the lie was or details may give away my identity but it was so wrong and I didn't think a person could stoop so low. They messed up.

And thank you for not judging and accepting my rant.

Last edited:
also technically your tl texted you about something work related other than schedule so you should do a 15 min punch correction
I get talked to on my breaks when its not a huddle and they waste 2-4 minutes of my break chatting about what we will do after my break. Now, I know I could just stay a few minutes after my lunch and call it a 34 minute lunch but I am actually concerned that if I punch corrected and put "talking to leader" in the comments I would get some bad vibes thrown my way. Don't wanna rock the boat, lest ye be punished! lol honestly fucking scared to punch correct what is legally entitled to me...I dont deserve to lose 4 minutes of my day to work delegation while I am eating. But I have a good working relationship with my leaders so I just become timid about the whole thing. Hate to make a fuss, etc etc.

I get talked to on my breaks when its not a huddle and they waste 2-4 minutes of my break chatting about what we will do after my break. Now, I know I could just stay a few minutes after my lunch and call it a 34 minute lunch but I am actually concerned that if I punch corrected and put "talking to leader" in the comments I would get some bad vibes thrown my way. Don't wanna rock the boat, lest ye be punished! lol honestly fucking scared to punch correct what is legally entitled to me...I dont deserve to lose 4 minutes of my day to work delegation while I am eating. But I have a good working relationship with my leaders so I just become timid about the whole thing. Hate to make a fuss, etc etc.
you could also just stay a little while longer on your 15, or just when your leader comes over just say "hey, i'm on my lunch right now, can we talk about this when i'm back on the clock?"

If you're in a state with guaranteed breaks and / or meal times they should not be discussing anything with you during that time. Too, an hourly employee receiving work instructions prior to even coming into work on a non company-paid/provided cell and while off the clock? Punch correction right there. If that rocks the boat then it is retaliation. I couldn't think of a single HR professional that wouldn't agree that you should be paid for that time ... and I know corporate would agree (have had that chat already with them). It's not making a fuss ... it's doing what is right :)

Honestly I’ve never understood calling out in general. Work sucks sometimes, but you’re basically throwing away money. If it ever got to a point where the job wasn’t worth the money, I’d find a different job.

you could also just stay a little while longer on your 15, or just when your leader comes over just say "hey, i'm on my lunch right now, can we talk about this when i'm back on the clock?"

This, don't be a pushover. I have leaders talk to me all the time. I say I'm on my break and they run the other direction

In California not taking a full uninterrupted 15 is grounds for termination

This, don't be a pushover. I have leaders talk to me all the time. I say I'm on my break and they run the other direction

at my store we can be interrupted on our 15 but it has to be extended if interrupted

Not so much called out, but one time I was called on my day off to clean up the entirety of pfresh alone on a 10 hr shift. They even offered extra pay. I'd need double pay to do that shit, what a god damn pain to clean all that up.

There was one week I had worked 7 days in a row, going into my 8th.

The night before, I had pulled at least 6 hours of price changes. I called in on day 8, I needed a fucking break.

I hope that was OT. My TL always had me on 8 hr shifts thankfully and we alternated weekends/days off. But Q4 when OT was flowing I did 28 days straight through BF. Few days were only 3 hrs but damn that was exhausting.

This is interesting. What about not getting both your 15 minute breaks during your shift?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back