• Thread starter offparkway
  • Start date
  • Replies 10
  • Views 2K
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

offparkway

This has been a while coming. I was an In-stock Team Lead (one of the first... when it was new, in like 2007 or something). A Greatland store in CA with a very high volume and lots of District and Regional visits. And I nailed all of them.

In fact, the whole store seemed to fall apart if I had a day off.

Yet I was always pressured to feel guilty if I spent 1 vacation day, when I had 2+ months saved up. Probably because no one could handle what I handled. I've run into my old bosses since leaving (none are with Target anymore) and got apologies and compliments from them for what I had to deal with.

The worst was when one of my employees committed suicide. 6 days later, I was headed to the open-casket funeral (I had worked 5 hours of my shift already) when my boss caught me and said, "You're headed to the funeral?"

I said "Yes, of course. I already put my team in motion so you should be all good today."

His response? "Ok... when do you think you'll be back?"

I had no response. My executives spend an entire day in the conference room (during the Xmas season) doing a gift exchange, and are not to be bothered. But my employee KILLS HIMSELF and I'm expected to return from the funeral to finish my shift? Especially when my boss's boss's boss just came to our store to learn from me and my team because we were the leaders in our field?

No words.

I still shop there, but seriously fuck that company. Most of my friends work in environments where they can take 2 weeks off with no explanation (start-up companies) and no one asks for one.

Looking back on it, I want to slap everyone there in the face. Minus my own team... they were the reason I stayed for 6 years.

That type of business-first mentality is what's drilled into their heads from day 1 of business college. Some, and by some I mean very few, are able to see beyond the cloudy haze of Target's kool-aid drenched training and actually conduct themselves accordingly; most have no sympathy or empathy for anything going on in your life and will want you back as soon as possible from a funeral.

First off welcome to The Break Room.

Second, so sorry for the loss of your coworker.
Even if you weren't that close it hurts to have someone you worked with on a regular basis die like that.

Third, I have to say that has to be one of the more disgusting examples of management I've seen on this board and that's saying a lot.
I have plenty of problems with the management of my old store but at least they were able to present a facade of humanity.
They would have understood that kind of behavior was unacceptable accept by Scrooge before the transformation.

In fact, that strikes me as a psychiatric anti-social disorder.

I am sorry for your loss. I had a close friend/co worker to die suddenly as well a few years back. Although, it wasn't suicide it was very unexpected and hurt like hell. I am also sorry that you store did that to you. Lastly, welcome to the breakroom.

Sorry for your loss and congrats on getting out from those ridiculous and unsympathetic ETLs. I hope most are not that insensitive.

In my district if a TM dies, any TM at that store can have the day off to go to the funeral and the store will get support help to cover if needed.

If they asked me when I was coming back, I would've responded "tomorrow, as a guest". Sorry about your loss and good for you for getting away from that store. Hope you have good bosses now.

My condolences on the loss of your TM.
Last yr our sister store lost one of their TMs.
Being a lo vol store, everybody was close & everybody was going to the funeral.
Our district office made sure they had coverage & covered payroll for it. The majority came from my store because we knew the TM & were more than willing to cover their store so they could pay their respects.
Your leadership, I can't even.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back