Archived Extreme Couponers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I haven't cashiered much lately, I've been wondering: did they ever fix the BOGO glitch with manufacturer's coupons? The one where you scan the coupon, you hit K1 to accept, and it automatically takes off the max value of the coupon instead of the correct price of the item?

I thought it was always that way...

I think the show "Extreme Couponers" has done nothing but perpetuate the misunderstanding and friction between legitimate couponers and retail workers, because just becuase someone uses a lot of coupons, does not mean they are crazy or trying to scam you. Sometimes, but 90% of the time they're not and they're just trying to save some money, and it makes it difficult for them when they are instantly branded "trouble" when they walk in the door.

This. IMO, Extreme Couponing was an absolutely terrible show and gave couponers a bad reputation. In every episode, fraud was shown, whether it be counterfeit coupons, or using coupons on items they're not intended for.

TLC doesn't care about the fraud; they only care about the extreme savings. It's completely possible to get extreme savings, but do it 100% legitimately. Personally, I saved over $10k in 2013 by using coupons and shopping sales (mainly at drugstores and Spot).

There are videos of a woman committing coupon fraud at Spot on YouTube too. She was on the second episode of Extreme Couponing, I think. Just Google J'aime Kirlew and you'll see them.

There quite alarming.. honestly. You see a GSTL, just giving her everything, and K1'ing the whole transaction.
Seriously... she doesn't even check to see if the items and terms match with each coupon. Plus at the end it looks like she's just hand-entering manufacturer's and target coupons when obviously the register indicates she has gone over the allowed amount.

I mean, when people do this, if they follow the rules, you've got to allow it, but you've got to follow the rules, too!

Since I haven't cashiered much lately, I've been wondering: did they ever fix the BOGO glitch with manufacturer's coupons? The one where you scan the coupon, you hit K1 to accept, and it automatically takes off the max value of the coupon instead of the correct price of the item?

I thought it was always that way...

It used to be that the register would ask you "how much is this coupon?" if you K1'd a BOGO or free item coupon. Now it just takes off the max value of the coupon. When this first started happening, my GSTL told me to enter the coupons manually (K4, K2, enter amount) instead of scanning them.

Ugh that lady...obviously a lot of those coupons (especially the first video) were work-arounds for the actual item. (Benadryl-I'm sure the coupon was meant for the medicine not the spray or gel or whatever she bought (but it still worked and she got whatever for free). The tide detergent packets were 97 cents and the coupon was $1. I'm sure the coupon said not valid for trial size but somehow still works.) That's what I see happen with the sonicare toothbrushes (people buy the cheapest replacement heads and use the $10 off coupons intended for the actual toothbrushes, and "stack" them with web coupons or whatever.)
The lady was kind of rude to the team member who needed to pull an item from the back. I hate when guests try to tell me how to do my job. >:|

if you read coupon blogs you will find that they do in fact direct you to the young cashiers, especially of the male persuasion :) also be leery of coupons that are printed on a home computer that are printed vertically. usually that is a dead giveaway for a fake.

That explains so much! The two fake-couponers I mentioned earlier in the thread were two women who tried to flirt with me.

Sucks for them they didn't know that I'm gay.

Had five of these in a row today, completely unrelated. All tried to woo me, get em to change stuff, take coupons that weren't going, etc. It got to the point where my GSTL and ETL-GE just stood by my register to help out.

Our big issues are these:

1) People not realizing we only take 4 identical coupons per transaction per guest.

2) People thinking that information on coupon blogs/websites is our policy and believing that we honor such information at the store.

For that I use; "I''m sorry, but we are not responsible for information published on non-Target sponsored sources. I have a copy of Target's official policy at the service desk, would you like to see it?"

3) People attempting to use coupon on trail/travel sized items and then claim the product doesn't say travel/tail size on them.

"I'm sorry, but this merchandise is stocked in our travel sized section, therefore it is a travel sized item and we cannot attempt the coupon for this item."

I had a lady claim that we MUST honor the coupon in accordance with the policy. She tried to READ the policy, coupon, and packaging to me...

To which I said, "Ma'am, I'm very fimiliar with our coupon policy. You'll also find that Target reserves the right to refuse coupons and that's exactly what I'm doing with these coupons for the trail sized items. Would like me to show you the items that can be purchased with these coupons?" She backed down real fast.

Our big issues are these:

1) People not realizing we only take 4 identical coupons per transaction per guest.

2) People thinking that information on coupon blogs/websites is our policy and believing that we honor such information at the store.

For that I use; "I''m sorry, but we are not responsible for information published on non-Target sponsored sources. I have a copy of Target's official policy at the service desk, would you like to see it?"

3) People attempting to use coupon on trail/travel sized items and then claim the product doesn't say travel/tail size on them.

"I'm sorry, but this merchandise is stocked in our travel sized section, therefore it is a travel sized item and we cannot attempt the coupon for this item."

I had a lady claim that we MUST honor the coupon in accordance with the policy. She tried to READ the policy, coupon, and packaging to me...

To which I said, "Ma'am, I'm very fimiliar with our coupon policy. You'll also find that Target reserves the right to refuse coupons and that's exactly what I'm doing with these coupons for the trail sized items. Would like me to show you the items that can be purchased with these coupons?" She backed down real fast.

OH RIGHT.

I remember a few extreme couponers from when I first started. It was a family: Mother, father, and two daughters. I only encountered them once but they would come up to me with a handbasket full of travel items and tried to pull what you mentioned with me. I didn't know the coupon policy all too well back then, I had only been on register a few times, and I would've just let them go had the GSTL not been nearby and caught on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back