Fat Guests on Scooters

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Code brown at the front...."

OMG, we had one of those in the greeting cards area one night about a month ago. I am SOOOOOOOO glad that I am not a GSA. She got down on hands and knees to clean it up, I had to hold the plastic bio-hazard bag. We started by cards and followed a brown trail to the registers! What a nice way to end the night. :search: :bad::O

Oh, if you're wondering why our CA didn't clean it up, he's a minor and was already gone.

dude - you don't have a doctorate or are psychic right?

Asthma, heart disease, and arthritis don't always bother you every day - this topic is obnoxious. Might as well change it to "I hate when fat people annoy me"

I don't know how many times you want me to repeat myself. I said it before, I'll say it again.

1.) I did not create this topic to anger anyone.
2.) This is focused at the people I KNOW are perfectly CAPABLE of walking. If you have a medical problem, that's different. I get it. Use it, it's what they're for.
3.) I am only frustrated by people that use them because they are lazy, and am angered because I have other people coming up to me asking for one that clearly need them but they are unavailable because of these people.

That's it. I don't hate fat people. That's their business. I think you are overreacting a bit here and seeing it as a general assault on all people that are overweight. Never once did I ever say that.

Relax. Peace be with you.

There aren't two threads... I just sorta hijacked this one to tell my horror story about the nasty guest that shat all over the motorized cart.
EDIT: just saw the second one -- and can I tell you stories of some of the kamakazi drivers on those scooters!!

Last edited:
One of our former regulars used to grab them all the time. He was a very cranky older man. I don't know that he truly needed to use one but because of his age, nobody challenged him. One day, he was in a pissy mood and purposefully backed up over a team member's foot. He didn't do any real damage to her, but apparently it hurt like hell. She was in tears for a while. After that, he was banned from the store because of the abusive behavior. My personal peeve are the people who think they need one, get to where they want to look at items (mostly ready to wear), desert the scooter so they can wander around the clothes, then forget to get back on it and just leave it where ever they stopped. Obviously they didn't need it in the first place. But then we end up short when somebody who really does need one arrives and we have to do a scavenger hunt around the store looking for the missing scooter.

One day, he was in a pissy mood and purposefully backed up over a team member's foot. He didn't do any real damage to her, but apparently it hurt like hell. She was in tears for a while. After that, he was banned from the store because of the abusive behavior.
Should've called the cops and had him charged with assault.

I had one once that really pissed me off. She had just got on our last power cart as this elderly man who could barely walk came in. She looked right at us and I was hoping she would give it up if indeed she didn't need it just because she was overweight. She didnt. I stood there frantically calling around to see if we could find one and finally after half an hour (we got a chair for this guy in the meantime) someone dumped one in the parking lot. I went out (praised Jesus because it still had a lot of power left on it) and grabbed it for him. About an hour later I see the overweight lady walking up the main aisle with no problem. She comes up and informs me there's a power cart with a dead battery in market before proceeding to the register and then out to her car. I watched her the whole time. She didn't need that power cart at all and it pissed me off so bad. She could have given it up to someone who really needed it but was too damn lazy. I saw her again a few weeks later and I gave her the evil eye...she walked right past the carts and did her shopping with no issues and never used a power cart again.

Personally, I never understood why it was a stores responsibility to enhance someone's mobility. We have 8 scooters at my store. All of them in varying degrees of shitty condition. When it's busy, it's common for all of them to either be uncharged, or only partially charged. While it's a frustrating issue, I've had guests loose their shit that none of the scooters work. This made me think one thing. If this scooter is THAT crucial for them to get around, why don't they have their own? How do they get around anywhere else?

Target, or any other store, providing scooters for customers isn't a mandatory service a person is entitled to. It's nothing more than a courtesy to keep you in our store. The sense of entitlement kills me.

As for the fatties...well yes, they could use the exercise, and thus using the scooters seems like the opposite of what they should be doing, but for the morbidly obese, they can't really exercise like a normal person, especially if their mobility has been compromised. So using a scooter makes sense. Grocery shopping isn't meant to be the equivalent of running 6 miles for a normal person. It could be dangerous.

Last edited:
People who are overweight and have health/mobility issues shouldn't be treated differently than anyone else with such issues. Yes, someone who is younger and overweight could lose weight etc...but who are we to judge. You don't know what someone is feeling physically and or emotionally so don't judge them.

We only have 3 scooters at our store and it is a constant issue on a daily basis. They are always in use, so if you arent using one at the beginning of the day while they are charged they will just keep dying all throughout the day. I feel so bad for the people who actually need one and we have to go get the push wheelchair just so they can get back to their car. I mean I had this lady's scooter die on the opposite end of the store from the front, so I told her id go get her a new one. I did, drove it back there and she was nowhere to be found. I finally found her shopping around the mens department walking just fine! It is people like that who anger me.

I don't know how many times you want me to repeat myself. I said it before, I'll say it again.

1.) I did not create this topic to anger anyone.
2.) This is focused at the people I KNOW are perfectly CAPABLE of walking. If you have a medical problem, that's different. I get it. Use it, it's what they're for.
3.) I am only frustrated by people that use them because they are lazy, and am angered because I have other people coming up to me asking for one that clearly need them but they are unavailable because of these people.

That's it. I don't hate fat people. That's their business. I think you are overreacting a bit here and seeing it as a general assault on all people that are overweight. Never once did I ever say that.

Relax. Peace be with you.
My point is you don't know what they are or not capable of . You say it wasn't aimed at just fat guests...but any and all who can walk but are lazy and don't...However, the title of your post says....Fat Guests on Scooters...so it appears it is aimed at fat guests. I mean to each their own...but you cant really blame some people for getting upset about it .

Would it be as offensive if he targeted skinny guests?

Personally, I never understood why it was a stores responsibility to enhance someone's mobility. We have 8 scooters at my store. All of them in varying degrees of shitty condition. When it's busy, it's common for all of them to either be uncharged, or only partially charged. While it's a frustrating issue, I've had guests loose their shit that none of the scooters work. This made me think one thing. If this scooter is THAT crucial for them to get around, why don't they have their own? How do they get around anywhere else?
Target, or any other store, providing scooters for customers isn't a mandatory service a person is entitled to. It's nothing more than a courtesy to keep you in our store. The sense of entitlement kills me.
As for the fatties...well yes, they could use the exercise, and thus using the scooters seems like the opposite of what they should be doing, but for the morbidly obese, they can't really exercise like a normal person, especially if their mobility has been compromised. So using a scooter makes sense. Grocery shopping isn't meant to be the equivalent of running 6 miles for a normal person. It could be dangerous.
This.
I've had the morbidly obese riding around while bitching about how slow are carts are (because we can't tell them that the load limit is being exceeded), people on braces & crutches screaming at me because we don't have a cart charged & ready for them (bring your own, then), a 13-yr-old girl who was using one because 'she was REALLY tired after a day at a water park' (nope, off you go), the frat boy with his leg in a splint having a cart race with his non-injured buddy, the painted up old broad who calls us to bring a cart out to her car - we refused - so she left it in the sun, switched on 'til the battery died.
I wish a slow & excruciating existence on them (ie: diarrhea in a public toilet with no toilet paper & no one else in there with air dryers instead of paper towels).
On the flip side, I was using a cart after I had surgery & was appalled at the rude comments I received. One woman went so far as to suggest I get up & walk since I 'clearly needed the exercise' so I pulled up my shirt & flashed my stitches.
Ain't nobody got time fo dat.

People who are overweight and have health/mobility issues shouldn't be treated differently than anyone else with such issues. Yes, someone who is younger and overweight could lose weight etc...but who are we to judge. You don't know what someone is feeling physically and or emotionally so don't judge them.
The reason they are (and should be) treated differently is that, with VERY few exceptions, fat people's condishuns (IE mobility issues) are caused by their poor choices. They can also make the choice to lose weight.

These scooters are meant for people who can't make the choice to get their mobility back like a fat person could.

Why shouldn't I judge? Poor choices affect all of us through increased medical costs. This makes it a public issue, so I'm fine judging other people based on their weight or BMI.

I really don't think feelings should come into it. It's all in how you deal with stress. Do you gorge yourself on ice cream if someone calls you fat? There's the problem. Stop doing that. As for what they're feeling physically, again it's mostly caused by poor choices so I have no sympathy for that excuse.

This thread made me think of when Bill Hader and SNL mocked the Clint Eastwood Super Bowl commercial.

"They're busy making the jazzies you ride around Disney World because you're too fat to walk. Chryslers."

I can admit that I also get annoyed when I see able bodied humans riding in the scooters. It's just a sign of laziness. If you need to use them because of your health, then I understand. But if you're just a lazy ass that doesn't want to walk then screw you hippie.

Sometimes it's the other way round, the mobility issue causes the obesity.
I've seen cases with people who have profound disabilities that lead them to being stuck at home, which in turn leads to depression and lack of activity.
It's hard to tell what's wrong because all you see is their size.
Finding out that they shattered their legs in an accident ten years ago and had thirty surgeries to have them put back together is not something you will see.
Or that they have a form of myalgia that causes constant pain.
Or thyroid conditions that caused them to balloon a hundred pounds in a matter of months.

Sure you see them get up and walk around because some days are better than others but it hurts like hell for many of them and they do it anyway.
So yeah, they might be cranky and difficult to get along with.
It's not an excuse, nobody has the right to take out their misery on other people but it is something to keep in mind.

Should they provide their own carts?
Do you have any idea how much one of those costs?
I do, I've provided them for people.
Unless you are on Medicare (and they've made it harder) it's going to cost at least $1,400.
For someone living on disability that might as well be be going to the moon.

Food for thought.
Thought from food. (For those of you who remember Dinosaurs.)

I just wish they would shut down when they got within 10 feet from the exit doors.

That would be nice.

I just wish they would shut down when they got within 10 feet from the exit doors.

That would be nice.

I would laugh my ass off so hard when they sit there for a while wondering what happened, and finally waddle their fat ass to guest service to complain when it was probably just as close to waddle to their car. :D

12003309_1055178081218734_9091153628141467466_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back