Archived Favoritism

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a huge favoritism problem at my store with my STL. A specific TL was transferred purposely to my store. TMS were promoted to SRTLs just because they are buddy buddy with the STL. Going to HR is pointless because the leadership team is very cliquey. Any advice on how to handle this?

My old store had a bit of a favoritism culture, so I sympathize. That said, if you are to the point you want to complain to someone, I would be happy to advise you if I was clear on what your issue is. Did you get passed over for a promotion (and if so, did they know you were interested)? Is it an hours allocation issue? Are the favored ones getting away with things they shouldn't, while others are nitpicked for every little thing?

Favoritism is a hard hurdle to clear, but if it's a personnel issue (abuse of authority, etc.), document, document, document and try your luck with the Hotline if you don't believe HR's going to support you.

^ Starfishcoffee is right. It's really hard to prove "favoritism". You can say they're really cliquey with the STL and ETL's but have they proven themselves in the past and has the STL been waiting for the moment to give them the promotion he/she feels they deserve? Regardless of being buddy buddy, in business you have to play the game. I don't care what anyone says... Playing the game is part of the system.

It's normal for TMs to get promoted immediately to Sr.TLs after just applying and passing interviews? You have to be global and a TL already at my store to even be considered for it. Answering a few questions doesn't prove you're ready to take on LOD shifts -- experience and knowledge of most workcenters is a must.
I agreed with you. There is more to this story.

Seniors and the pay bump are getting phased out so the STL could be looking out for the TM to get them the extra money if they were going to promote to TL anyway.

Are they doing their jobs well though? If they are then it is what it is. Leadership wants to work with like minded people over someone you can’t stand.

It's normal for TMs to get promoted immediately to Sr.TLs after just applying and passing interviews? You have to be global and a TL already at my store to even be considered for it. Answering a few questions doesn't prove you're ready to take on LOD shifts -- experience and knowledge of most workcenters is a must.

That’s definitely possible. If someone is a store manager for a small retailer they can get that position. It’s just a job title and pay grade. I went from working general construction to PMT (SrTL position) and I keep getting pestered to go ETL without any retail experience or graduating college. It’s how you sell your self and handle your business.

And NO I will not be an ETL. I don’t work retail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back