Archived Fellow GSTLs/SELs! Share your daily routines!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullseyerc

GSTL
What do you typically do when starting and ending your shifts? Are you usually by yourself or do you have another GSTL/GSA with you? Do you open, mid, or close the most? Are you on a set schedule? What is your pay? Curious to know :)

SrGSTL here. I mainly open on my GSTL shifts, so I spend the first two hours making sure checklanes and endcaps are full. I have huddles with my cashiers and SCOTM about where we are with Redcards, going over weekly ad, and a Cartwheel deal or two. Just making sure my Front End can educate guests on ways to save. I shoot an EXF and pull it. So my GSAs know that opening is about filling the floor. Closing is about zoning and filling supplies.

-Clock in.
-Go into cash office
-Leave cash office to bank lanes
-Cover guest service until they come in at 8
-Go back in to cash office
-Come out because we need to get carts
-Cover cashier break
-Cover Starbucks break
-Cover guest service break
-Help push onespot
-Take a half
-Go back into cash office
-Finish cash office
-Finish onespot push that the lone guest service TM hasn't been able to do and no one can come to help with
-Cashier bc there's always only 2 scheduled between 1 and 2
-Try to smash in all of the GSTL duties into the remaining 45 minutes (or hour if I'm lucky)
-Pass off the keys to the closer and sprint to the time clock bc no overtime is allowed and if we're discussing anything at the lanes we're not doing our job and just screwing around
- Scream in the car all the way home because my leaders make doing my job successfully fucking impossible bc they don't view GSTL as a serious position.

-Clock in.
-Go into cash office
-Leave cash office to bank lanes
-Cover guest service until they come in at 8
-Go back in to cash office
-Come out because we need to get carts
-Cover cashier break
-Cover Starbucks break
-Cover guest service break
-Help push onespot
-Take a half
-Go back into cash office
-Finish cash office
-Finish onespot push that the lone guest service TM hasn't been able to do and no one can come to help with
-Cashier bc there's always only 2 scheduled between 1 and 2
-Try to smash in all of the GSTL duties into the remaining 45 minutes (or hour if I'm lucky)
-Pass off the keys to the closer and sprint to the time clock bc no overtime is allowed and if we're discussing anything at the lanes we're not doing our job and just screwing around
- Scream in the car all the way home because my leaders make doing my job successfully fucking impossible bc they don't view GSTL as a serious position.

Where's your GE? That is absolutely unacceptable for a GSTL to spend so much time off-stage and covering breaks. Why isn't one of your GSAs doing cash office? It's literally one of the core roles of a GSA, not a GSTL.

Where's your GE? That is absolutely unacceptable for a GSTL to spend so much time off-stage and covering breaks. Why isn't one of your GSAs doing cash office? It's literally one of the core roles of a GSA, not a GSTL.
GSAs don’t do cash office at my store. They won’t let us lol

i mean sometimes i have to cover breaks at Starbucks (i'm barista certified) but i would never step away from the lanes to cover a guest service break

• Clock In
  • Make the break and lunch schedule
  • Grab Money Bags for GS, PHx, CHANGE FUND.
  • Let my SCO & GS know what they are going to do
  • Help where needed
  • Watch Lanes
  • Clock out

i mean sometimes i have to cover breaks at Starbucks (i'm barista certified) but i would never step away from the lanes to cover a guest service break
I have to cover breaks at guest service if I have no one else to delegate it to. My other GSAs and GSTLs dont really believe in developing talent and our hours are shot to shit and I’m not allowed to take from the floor to cover. So that just leaves me.

My opening routine (I’m not a GSTL but I figured I would add my $0.02)
• Clock in
• Grab the daily grid from TSC as well as keys and a walkie and anything else I might need
• Go to cash office and grab start funds for guest service, pharmacy, and optical as well as the 3 change funds
• make bathroom sheets for the day and put them in each bathroom
• Bring funds to guest service and pharmacy and open their registers, assess how guest service looks so that if it is a mess I can check on them later and see if it has improved or stayed the same
• Grab OneSpot/Bullseyes Playground reshop from guest service and put it in a cart while I’m down there.
• Bring bullseye reshop to front and put it near onespot to work on later
• look at grid and write daily break schedule
• “brand walk” front end and make sure that there isn’t reshop on endcaps, no expired sale signs, see if endcaps need filling
• try to do a quick zone on one spot and card wall and push out their reshop.

Some things I also might do:
• cover breaks at Starbucks, Food Ave, Guest Service, SCO if I don’t have anyone
• Pull for endcaps and fill them
• Receiving might bring up excell push for card wall which I would have to take care of
• Call 701 over any possible issues
• put in work orders for anything that’s broken/needs the PMT to look at
• view salesplanners for front end and set anything that is due, shoot batch and pull batch and fill
• check my email
• delegate tasks to any extra bodies (usually don’t have anyone extra) such as pushing checklane candy, purging BUCK towards the end of when we are going to be getting a new set in $spot and pushing it out
• GSAs are responsible for mydevices at my store so anytime someone needs one I have to give it to them (they are locked up)
• GSAs also have to give ppl their paychecks at my store idk if y’all do that
• back up lanes cause they didn’t schedule a cashier until noon
• go to huddle
• do any other stuff that leadership asked me to do

Last edited:
it sucks. im honestly really over it

theres been a couple cashiers who my GSTLs have refused to train at service desk, so me and another GSA secretly train them anyway 🤷‍♂️

now they're part of our core service desk squad

theres been a couple cashiers who my GSTLs have refused to train at service desk, so me and another GSA secretly train them anyway 🤷‍♂️

now they're part of our core service desk squad
I have a list of ppl I want to develop to train in guest service and hardlines and whenever my best guest service person (yes I have a favorite 😂) is scheduled I try to sneak someone over there to do impromptu “training” with them because my GE won’t schedule under training hours

I have a list of ppl I want to develop to train in guest service and hardlines and whenever my best guest service person (yes I have a favorite 😂) is scheduled I try to sneak someone over there to do impromptu “training” with them because my GE won’t schedule under training hours

everyone has a favorite guest service person

That assumes that a GSTL and GSA are scheduled at tht same time. That doesn't happen at my store.
I have to cover breaks at guest service if I have no one else to delegate it to. My other GSAs and GSTLs dont really believe in developing talent and our hours are shot to shit and I’m not allowed to take from the floor to cover. So that just leaves me

Not a GSA (I've asked but I don't have "open availability" so they're just gonna hire external or promote a seasonal), but this x1000.

Our store, GSAs and GSTLs rarely have overlapping schedules, so the store treats the GSTL as a GSA while they are there. They don't have time to coach anyone, do anything, or oversee anything because they're basically GSA'ing their entire shift, covering breaks, speed weaving, helping the lanes, sending people on break, responding to Susans and Karens when they ask for a manager, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back