Archived Fighting a review score

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's tradition of you get a pay bump due to promotion that you sacrifice a good review at our store. Complete bs.
The year I got promoted to TL I received a DIO because “we have to due to getting a promotion”. I was floored but was told it’s mandatory but another HR I spoke to said it’s definitely store discretion.

The year I got promoted to TL I received a DIO because “we have to due to getting a promotion”. I was floored but was told it’s mandatory but another HR I spoke to said it’s definitely store discretion.
Definitely store discretion. Got a DEO 4 months in role.

It was extremely evident who was gonna get DEO amongst the leaders so I wasn't gonna fight it. When you were delivered your review, you should have spoke up and said you felt different about your score.

However, guidelines say DIO should encompass at least 80% of reviews, with no more than 10% being DEO and no more than 10% being ION.

Must have been really lucky to get ION then 😂😂😂

That’s bs saying the store allows only one DEO. They can give as many as it’s deserved . However all etls together decides your score not just your etl. And you should have told your etl that self review are based on you as an individual and not you with the team.

No they can't give out as many as they want or feel is deserved. There is a cap on each category and once you hit hat you have to move someone. It sucks and the ETLs don't like it anymore than you do but they don't have a choice. Same reason why you see terrible TMs get better scores than they deserve..

If the store didn’t make sales it’s impossible to get an outstanding review.
Not quite true. I did it 4 years in a row. Early in my “career” with Target I did challenge a review. I was a team member at the time and I went to the ETL to plead my case. She hadn’t actually read it and signed off. The score was changed. But that was in a different Target universe far far away. Going forward keep a notepad of all your successes including development of yourself and your team, shoutouts by district leaders, improvement in sales etc. when it comes time to write your review next year you should be able to plug those right in. You have to remind them of your contributions to the overall store. You can do that by requesting a quarterly check in with your etl asking directly where they would rate you now. If it’s not where you expect ask the directly how to get to the next level. In your self review you need to show them all of your accomplishments

DEOs are rare, and that’s by design. Only so many can be given because they represent the very top, the very best.

I don’t doubt that you worked every bit hard enough to be deserving of that score. Shit, I had some of the best comps in the district and I didn’t get a DEO. Oh well, it would be unrealistic to get it twice in a row.

Yes, I successfully argued my case for my score once.

But... It’s too late. The time to make your case and argue for it was before self reviews were due. Speaking from experience. You can only lobby for yourself or nudge the situation your way before your self review has been read or submitted.
Damn, I guess I am one of the best , the top notch! Excellent!

Don’t let this affect your job performance personally . I worked for nearly a decade with little acknowledgment. I did my best and that was what I lived with. Not easy but use patience

Am I the only one that challenges their review score nearly every year? Everytime I get a below satisfactory score on some element of my work and I push my GSTL on what I could do to improve from what I'm currently doing and they can't give me an answer, or say "I don't really agree with this", or try to cop out with "Well, I had to give a low score to somebody", I don't sign and challenge. I don't play no games.

I have also not signed off on my review. It doesn't really make a difference, just a statement. I am a former teacher. It's like saying to the 6 kids that got 100% on their final: "Hey.... I can only give one A. You didn't get it." Pretty sure an explanation of the Bell Curve won't fly with mom and dad. It doesn't fly with me, either. I have had outstanding reviews followed by not outstanding reviews. Nothing in my work ethic or my performance really changes.

Am I the only one that challenges their review score nearly every year? Everytime I get a below satisfactory score on some element of my work and I push my GSTL on what I could do to improve from what I'm currently doing and they can't give me an answer, or say "I don't really agree with this", or try to cop out with "Well, I had to give a low score to somebody", I don't sign and challenge. I don't play no games.
I don’t need to challenge my score. I don’t give them a reason to and don’t get unsatisfactories.

When writing reviews I always gave the newest tm’s in role the lowest rating because they were still learning and were not capable of doing outstanding or exceptional because they did not yet get proficient at the basics, it takes time to do great and even longer to do outstanding/exceptional. Not capable by no fault of their own but just not there yet. TRYING to do great doesn’t get rewarded like actually DOING great.

When writing reviews I always gave the newest tm’s in role the lowest rating because they were still learning and were not capable of doing outstanding or exceptional because they did not yet get proficient at the basics, it takes time to do great and even longer to do outstanding/exceptional. Not capable by no fault of their own but just not there yet. TRYING to do great doesn’t get rewarded like actually DOING great.
Right but your review is based off last years performance so it should be based off all the things that got me promoted to the new position. Two years in a row I’ve been promoted on January 1st so I spent the entire previous year in one role therefore it should be based off that.

Right but your review is based off last years performance so it should be based off all the things that got me promoted to the new position. Two years in a row I’ve been promoted on January 1st so I spent the entire previous year in one role therefore it should be based off that.
Also if someone is actually new in role the merit increase is already automatically prorated so they should get a review based off how they did not a low one because they’re new. That happened to me last year and I legit got a $.01 raise

I see reviews and promotions as completely different things.
You get promoted because you are CAPABLE of doing more responsible higher grade activities (leadership level duties).
You get a review on the stuff that you actually did. If you were new in a role you didn’t have Time to fully master that role and be exceptional at it. Your review would be needs improvement or delivered important because you are still practicing the tasks and perfecting the process, not proficient or efficient at it yet.
The promotion would NOT have been related to the actual work accomplished but more because you are capable of greater scope.
Be proud of 2 promotions in a row and confident that your cap has been raised to be reached over time.
Promotions require skill/ability (not necessarily a history of work accomplished), review ratings take proficiency in work accomplished.

I don’t need to challenge my score. I don’t give them a reason to and don’t get unsatisfactories.

Neither do I. I have been there since 2014. I have only been coached once during that time. I rarely call out. I show up on time. And I have been TM of the Month a couple of times. Yet, I have never gotten a DEO. Furthermore, I am a trainer for the Front End. If I'm doing something wrong, they better damn well tell me before I pass something along to a newbie.

I think my real reason for griping is I usually ask what I can do to improve in an area they marked me low in and the GSTL will say something like "Well, I don't really think you deserve this score" or "Meh, everyone needs a little improvement in this area" and can't give me an answer. Why would I sign for that?

Neither do I. I have been there since 2014. I have only been coached once during that time. I rarely call out. I show up on time. And I have been TM of the Month a couple of times. Yet, I have never gotten a DEO. Furthermore, I am a trainer for the Front End. If I'm doing something wrong, they better damn well tell me before I pass something along to a newbie.

I think my real reason for griping is I usually ask what I can do to improve in an area they marked me low in and the GSTL will say something like "Well, I don't really think you deserve this score" or "Meh, everyone needs a little improvement in this area" and can't give me an answer. Why would I sign for that?
Don’t think anyone cares if you sign or not. Your signature only verifies that you GOT it, NOT that you AGREE with it. Goes thru with or without a signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back