Archived Final Corrective Action?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to go into to much detail because the situation is still pending. Long story short I passed keys and a guest's personal items were either lost or stolen. I personally didn't give away anything but I did pass my keys to another team member who did so.

The next day ETL-HR talked to me about the situation and I explained what happened and that was the last I heard of it. My ETL talked to me about not passing keys and I assured her it wouldn't happen again. A month later I am called in the office of the AP ETL and he tells me that I am on final corrective action for passing keys and if I do it again I will be terminated. I was confounded because my ETL didn't say anything to me about this for a whole month and suddenly I was on a final corrective? The only thing I could think of is she didn't think I should be on one and the AP ETL did?

I've been with spot for four years and this is the first time that I have ever gotten in trouble for a breach of security. I know what I did was wrong and I own up to that. I never lied about passing the keys or anything that happened that day. I spoke to my GSA right after and she was surprised that he went right to a fca.

I guess my question is can a ETL who isn't even your ETL put you on a final corrective action? I didn't sign anything and he didn't write anything down he told me all this verbally. Do you go right to final corrective action? I've had coachings before and I have had corrective action before for attendance but not for anything performance related. If it is legit then I am ok with because I did do wrong. I will talk to my ETL when I see her again but I just wanted to know what someone outside of the situation thinks.

Last edited:
If it's assets-related - especially regarding keys - yeh, he will be involved.
Disciplinary action up to termination can be administered by any ETL, not just yours. Termination will involve the ETL-HR.
You might not see the paperwork but, if ETL-AP says you're on final, I'd consider it final.
Yeh, it sucks that they waited so long to inform you but he might have been gathering info before coming to his decision.

I mean that's cool. I was really surprised that they didn't fire me so I guess my four years of good work count for something. I was just surprised that my team lead had made no mention of it. At all. I mean I will definitely be on my p's and q's from here on out but people make mistakes and it's hard sometimes to be on high alert all the time about something that is so poorly enforced during the course of a day. Thanks for replying redeye58 I appreciate it.

Does a final corrective action last forever? I was never really clear on how it worked. Do I have thirty days to not do it again and it's lifted?

Last edited:
A final is a year so def stay on your toes.
Key handlings are one of the easiest ways to term someone, even up to & including ETLs.

Am I the only one who isn't following this? What kind of keys are we talking about, and how does a guest's personal items come into the picture here?

Dunno whats going to get a TM in trouble regarding keys considering they're not key carriers?

Btw final is 12 months from the date you sign.

To be honest, I would not let this fly in my store. If it was really a month in between conversations, then it would not seem to be fair to bring it up. If your ETL, or the ETL-HR mentioned that it would take time to research I can understand a short delay. However, conduct corrective action does not take that long to write or have approved. Is it a serious offense??? I suppose you can argue that it is, especially if guest's items were somehow stolen. However, I maintain that the CCA should not have been filed a month after your initial conversation.

Am I the only one who isn't following this? What kind of keys are we talking about, and how does a guest's personal items come into the picture here?

Dunno whats going to get a TM in trouble regarding keys considering they're not key carriers?

Btw final is 12 months from the date you sign.

It does seem odd that a guest lost some personal stuff. That being said, a tm can get in trouble for passing their keys without signing them over to another tm. I don't get to bent out of shape with this, but some STLs do. Kind of depends on the store culture. I always go with the "no harm-no foul" mentality, follwed by a "don't do it again" message.

The only thing I can think of is maybe someone passed Service Desk keys to another TM who took personal items out of lock up.... Thats about it.

Idk, it all sounds silly to me unless theres more to it than the OP is letting us know.

Our SD has a camera which encompasses the lock drawer so AP would only have to review footage to see who's been in there.

That is what happened Imerzan but I am just being overly cautious because I was warned that there may be criminal charges brought upon whoever took the items. I wish we had that redeye, it would have been a big help. I sometimes feel like our security cameras are a huge waste of money because we can never find what we are looking for and if you do it's too blurry to really make out what happened.

I think maybe my ETL had no intention of doing a CCA but the other ETL feels that it's more serious than she does and as AP I guess that's his right. I'm not mad at it. I do think if I everyone got their items then there would be no problem, but you can't back in time. I wish I knew what happened to those items but I just don't, I feel bad for the guest but if the items were truly stolen which AP assured me they were. She can get all that stuff back. It may not be easy but it can be done. I just hope that no one loses their job over it.

What's funny though is I never once spoke to anyone in AP about the situation. I spoke to ETL-HR and then I didn't hear about again until today.

If it comes out that the items WERE taken by a TM, they have no choice but to term them.
Thieves don't get second chances.

Our store was fairly non-stressed about keys up until a little while ago, when a nearby store was robbed of quite a lot of product because someone just walked up to GS and posed as Target Mobile and got keys, and then just walked out with a ton of stuff. Now they are very careful about making sure all keys are accounted for at all times, even my fairly worthless meat coupon key (I mean, I guess there's like 100 dollars worth of coupons there but it's not like you could use it and not get caught). Anyway, passing keys or not signing in and out is a write up now.

To be honest, I would not let this fly in my store. If it was really a month in between conversations, then it would not seem to be fair to bring it up. If your ETL, or the ETL-HR mentioned that it would take time to research I can understand a short delay. However, conduct corrective action does not take that long to write or have approved. Is it a serious offense??? I suppose you can argue that it is, especially if guest's items were somehow stolen. However, I maintain that the CCA should not have been filed a month after your initial conversation.

I dealt with the same thing back in the fall. Another TM and I were involved in an incident (which I will not describe as it would compromise my anonymity) in early November, but it wasn't until a month or so later that one of my SrTLs presented me with a corrective action. Mind you, I was overnight for about half of that time, but still.

That is what happened Imerzan but I am just being overly cautious because I was warned that there may be criminal charges brought upon whoever took the items. I wish we had that redeye, it would have been a big help. I sometimes feel like our security cameras are a huge waste of money because we can never find what we are looking for and if you do it's too blurry to really make out what happened.

I think maybe my ETL had no intention of doing a CCA but the other ETL feels that it's more serious than she does and as AP I guess that's his right. I'm not mad at it. I do think if I everyone got their items then there would be no problem, but you can't back in time. I wish I knew what happened to those items but I just don't, I feel bad for the guest but if the items were truly stolen which AP assured me they were. She can get all that stuff back. It may not be easy but it can be done. I just hope that no one loses their job over it.

What's funny though is I never once spoke to anyone in AP about the situation. I spoke to ETL-HR and then I didn't hear about again until today.

How would you know what they look like.?

I can tell you for a fact it can take a stupid amount of time to approve the issuing of a corrective action depending on who's doing the approving. And no, it isn't you own ETL-HR

We have had people at my store put on final cca for a single key incident. One person did it a 2nd time as was out the door (an ETL). Depends on the store I guess. If you don't so it again it expires in a year.

So to update you all. I spoke to my ETL after the weekend and she was pretty ticked that he told me that I was on a final corrective. She agreed with YepanSTL that too much time had passed for a cca to be an appropriate method of discipline. While I showed poor judgement, she doesn't think it warranted being on a cca. I will continue to act as if I have one though, that mindset just works better for me.

I will say that I am glad that this situation happened. It has definitely opened team members and managements eyes to some weak points in lost and found items of value and how they are handled. I definitely feel better knowing that AP is on top of those items and it's not just left up to gs to handle everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back