Archived Finally Getting the Hang of Hardlines. Just a Few More Questions...i

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been posting quite a few new threads lately...hope that's okay!
I've been doing hardlines for the past 3 weeks or so and I finally feel like I've gotten the hang of it. I just have a few more questions.

1. When I go to start my shift, I don't quite know where I should start. I know a few people on here say to go on walkie and state that you're starting your shift and ask where to start, so that's what I do. But I feel like that's showing that I have no initiative /: I noticed other people say "Hardlines LOD, this is ___, checking in" but how do they know what to do?

2. What is HBA?

3. When the walkie says "restroom follow up is needed" what does that mean?

4. When I scan something with the PDA, I know if it says 0 it's on an end cap. What does 99 mean? and if it says CL, does that mean clearance or check lanes?

5. When a guest asks me if we have something in the back, and we do, what do I do?

6. When I first got the job, I was told that even though the store closes at 11, there will be nights where you stay later than that, which is okay. However, almost every shift Ive had has gone until midnight /: The only issue is that I don't have a car and rely on rides from someone else. I didn't think I'd be staying that late so often and hate burdening someone else while I save up for a car. I want to change my availability until only 10pm, but I don't want them to think I only said I have open availability to get the job... they don't know I don't have a car. Also, I'm part time seasonal, so will changing my availability hurt my chances of staying past seasonal?

Thank you guys. I owe this site a lot to helping me out with my job :)

Asking where you should be is less of "not showing initiative," rather it's finding out where you are needed at that time.

HBA: Health and Beauty

When that comes over the walkie it means the cart attendant or whoever was supposed to do the restroom clean up didn't hit the button in time.

99 is a sidecap, one of those displays that hang from the shelves. CL# means the checklanes.

Scan the item label to get the DPCI number. It looks like a social security number (123-45-6789) Switch to your back room's walkie channel and ask if they can pull an item for a guest. When they ask, give them the DPCI. They will put it wherever your store stages guest pulls, my store puts it at the back of the line of autofills and puts a note on there saying "GUEST PULL-NOT CAF" once you have it bring it to the guest.

Unfortunately you cannot change your availability for your first 90 days.

1. Thats basically all you do. The Hardlines TL or LOD will give you your area assignment for the shift. Help with pulls, cover electronics, zone a certain area....
2.Health & Beauty
3.That is for the cart attendant or GSTL/GSA to worry about.
4. Its been a while. But I believe its side cap. There will probably be a small display along the aisle.
5. If you are not backroom trained, you will need to switch to the Backroom channel and request the item be pulled by the BRTM.
6. Bad news...being seasonal you cannot change your availability. You need to check with your TL and ETL and inform them of your situation. Come soon, you will probably stay till 1am-2am at times (depending on the store).

1. Some stores write down a breakout and post it at the electronics counter or by the timeclock. Most stores assign areas to TMs depending on what time they come in. Some stores wave zone as a team. I would just continue to as your LOD where they want you. At some point, ask them what you should be doing when you get there so you don't have to ask them every day.

2. Health and Beauty Aids. Usually just referred to as Health and Beauty, H and B, or HBA. The area that includes pharmacy, personal care, health care, beauty, cosmetics, or some combination of these areas.

3. Front end should be checking the restrooms at the bottom of every hour. There is a button not too different from the call buttons around the store that they must push to acknowledge that they checked the restroom.

4. 0 - endcaps, 1-89 - in line aisle sections, 90-92 - reserved for grocery endcaps (and as of last year the pets focal(s)) that have more than one section, 98 - checklane giftcard toppers, 99 - sidecaps (fixtures that hang off the side of an endcap. If an aisle has two endcaps, some stores will tie both to 99 while others will tie one to 98 and one to 99. Best practice is to tie all sidecaps to 99, but more than one planographic tied to the same physical location negatively affects reporting.

A-F is usually hardlines,CL is checklanes, FA is food avenue/Starbucks (target cafe), G is usually consumables, H-O is softlines, PL is photo lab, R is pharmacy, W is grocery in supers, X is one spot, Y is promo cartwell or the vacated guest services strategy (fan central, beach shop, promo cartwell, some other strategy).

5. Call backroom, tell them you need an item pulled for a guest, give them the DPCI, they pull it, you go get it or ask backroom to take it to guest service/electronics/fitting room/whweever.

6. Availability changes are almost always denied in the first 90 days. Talk to your leaders about your situation and they might be willing to work something out with you, but no guarantees.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back