Archived Fired for a Loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I was wondering if anyone could give me their best guess on my worries for this situation:

Earlier, I was training at Guest Service. I'm only officially a cashier, but have been put there once or twice in order to help sort, donorser pickup, and make returns. A man came by and asked to return an apple watch that cost about $409.

I checked the receipt date so it matched with the policies and scanned the item and returned it. I had forgotten to look inside, however, and when my co worker opened it, it turns out the watch wasn't there in it and I had been duped.

My GSTL called me into his office and told me not to beat myself up about it and was super nice about the whole thing, but, did warn me that he'd need to write it up and it would likely result in Corrective Action during my next shift. I don't work for the next 3 days but honestly I'm terrified of going back.

I've only received a couple warnings and been on probation once for 6 months. That was almost a year ago and I've been on pretty good terms with my GSTLs and my AP team since I've arrived. Will this result in termination despite that? Or will I just get put on probation again?

I’ve had this same thing happen to me before, but on a much much smaller scale. Since then, I look in the boxes for pretty much everything, even for something as small as light bulbs but ALWAYS for something more expensive. My STL even wants us to puncture the plastic wrapping on more expensive Apple products to look inside, since we had a previous issue at my store with someone resealing expensive Apple products with the actual item not being in the box. Always be on the side of caution. I can’t say I entirely blame you for what happened, as they kinda just stuck you over there at guest service with no training, but a return for an expensive item like that should always cause you to be extra careful. It doesn’t sound to me like you’ll be termed over this, but do let us know how it turns out :( I honestly could see myself making the same mistake a while ago before I was more cautious.

Blame it on the scammer. Why should you lose your job cause of actions that someone else did.
Scammers are always scammers.

hope they have the date and time of this incident to get his dirty ass photo

With high value shit, the box should ALWAYS be assumed to be empty until opened and eyeballed. A quantum superposition, if you will.

puncture the plastic wrapping on more expensive Apple products to look inside, since we had a previous issue at my store with someone resealing expensive Apple products with the actual item not being in the box
I'm going to start doing that. Hell, better it goes to CRC than it gets reshopped at Electronics and the next guest to buy it gets pebbles or some shit. Good idea.

I'm going to start doing that. Hell, better it goes to CRC than it gets reshopped at Electronics and the next guest to buy it gets pebbles or some shit. Good idea.
I don’t want you to get in trouble or anything so I’d definitely check with AP or your GE first but yeah, better safe than sorry :p

Hello! I was wondering if anyone could give me their best guess on my worries for this situation:

Earlier, I was training at Guest Service. I'm only officially a cashier, but have been put there once or twice in order to help sort, donorser pickup, and make returns. A man came by and asked to return an apple watch that cost about $409.

I checked the receipt date so it matched with the policies and scanned the item and returned it. I had forgotten to look inside, however, and when my co worker opened it, it turns out the watch wasn't there in it and I had been duped.

My GSTL called me into his office and told me not to beat myself up about it and was super nice about the whole thing, but, did warn me that he'd need to write it up and it would likely result in Corrective Action during my next shift. I don't work for the next 3 days but honestly I'm terrified of going back.

I've only received a couple warnings and been on probation once for 6 months. That was almost a year ago and I've been on pretty good terms with my GSTLs and my AP team since I've arrived. Will this result in termination despite that? Or will I just get put on probation again?

I open up everything electronics. Sorry but I don't care. I can tape it up or send it back to CRC.

Ever since I myself (a GSTL) got duped a couple years ago with an iPad scam I have had my GS team open everything over $100 with a serial number. I don't care what it is, I would rather double check and make sure the corresponding merchandise is in the package than not. At the end of the day if the product was never opened and we open it up and it wasn't used we can always repackage it and make back some of the money for the merchandise. If the merchandise has been opened and used however it should be defected out. There have been issues in the past where other guests personal information have not been cleared from devices causing issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back